07-23-10 02:50 PM
43 12
tools
    This 8300 is my first blackberry. I have no problem with it except the bluetooth file transfer. I could not send or receive files(pics,music and video) from other cell phones. However, I was able to connect and use it with my Jabra headset. My curve indicates that it is paired with the target device but no transfer is allowed. I would appreciate any info regarding this problem. Thanks in advance.
    06-11-07 09:59 PM
    I have the 8800 and I am paired to my laptops, PDA and Motorola Headset H550. I can send to other devices via bluetooth, but when I use my laptops as a test to send to my phone it dosen't work.

I tested my palm life drive to send a photo to the blackberry and it was unable to send via bluetoothl, so I disable encryption to see if that would work and it still didn't receive it. I am still reading other threads about bluetooth to get some idea on how to make it work properly.
    Last edited by outlawglamour; 06-11-07 at 10:25 PM.
    06-11-07 10:22 PM
    I noticed this too, I wanted to transfer some pictures from my old cell to my 8700 and it didn't work. The 8700 found my old cell but not the other way around. Is it just one way transfer?
    06-12-07 09:42 AM
    That's what I was wondering serpico. I also tried right clicking on the blackberry device manager then clicking on properties, and viewing device setting and saw that the bluetooth setting were unable to be checked. I am going to continue to find out more on the bluetooth issue to see is there a way to get it to function properly.
    Last edited by outlawglamour; 06-20-07 at 09:06 AM.
    06-20-07 08:26 AM
    Hi, same thing. I can send files, not receive due to this error: Filename contains invalid characters.

I suspect this is due to the "Media Card" device having a space in the file name, because when I send a file, the spaces are replaced with the "%20". Yet when sending the same file back to my BB, I get this error.

I can't seem to figure a way to rename the "Media Card" device. When I use the menu command to rename it, I get "file not found". I looked up reformatting instructions for the "Media Card", and the step-by-step gave no opportunity to set the name of the device.

I only got my BB today, and it works great in all other respects. Would love it if someone out there knew how to give this a go...

Cheers,
    Laura
    Last edited by lwise; 11-14-07 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Want to change notification option
    11-14-07 05:05 AM
    Folks, there are several threads on this subject. Try searching!

Here's a starter.
    11-14-07 10:38 AM
    Im experiencing the same thing. Acouple months ago a guy i went to school with sent me a .mp3 and showed me how to do it but now all it does is say "filename contains invalid characters" and i have tryed everything. I don't know what to do about it.
    11-16-07 06:00 PM
    No spaces in file names allowed.
    BB needs to be discoverable to pair and use a code like "0000" for each device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-07 01:19 AM
    Hi All, thanks for the latest comments! I guess I should have been more clear:

- I have searched the other posts, and only one other thread seemed to have these symptoms, but no resolution.

- The connection is already paired with a security code. Like stated, I was able to send files, and was able to receive them, until mid-way through the file transfer process I received the "invalid characters" error.

- Again, the file that I attempted to receive had no spaces in the file name, but still gave the "invalid characters" error. It even produced this error when trying to send a file named 353

- I should also mention that I am in Australia, where the Curve was only made available the last month. Not sure if that matters, but perhaps this is a regional thing.

- If you have a Curve v.4.2, and the device name of your card is Media Card (with a space), please try to receive a file (with no spaces!) from another mobile/cell phone via BlueTooth. I would love to know if this is "just my" issue or if it's recreatable.

Cheers,
    Laura
    11-17-07 05:20 AM

11-20-07 10:04 AM
    Can't transfer file to my my 8100 through bluetooth any suggestion.p.s I am from jamaica

11-20-07 10:09 AM
    I'm in NZ, & I have the same problem with my 8310 Curve. I think RIM don't know what they are doing.
    12-16-07 05:20 AM
    Currently the Blackberry is not capable of receiving files. It own purpose is to bluetooth/ pair it with a handset device only. If you are able to send files to the other device is because that phone that is receiving is capable of doing it.
    Also, all BB does not take video capture as RIM IT had disabled this feature for security reason.
    01-01-08 11:46 AM
    Currently the Blackberry is not capable of receiving files.
    not true. i can send and recieve files (so far i tested with mp3's). only problem is that it is only able to save to the ringtone directory either internal or to micro sd. still ringtone directory only. anyone know anyway around this?
    01-12-08 09:20 PM
    Upload Photos/Music/Videos (whatever the **** you want) from Computer to BlackBerry Curve (8320) regardless of Carrier to directory of choice

Potential Usage: Transfer music/pictures/videos to Blackberry Curve for media playback, ringtones, wallpaper (whatever)...

Background: There are certain steps that must be followed in order to save content to certain directories specifically directories located on an SD card. First of all, bluetooth transfer can only be accomplished in "Media'" view mode By default, the blackberry stuffs everything in the "ringtone" directory.

To transfer content, perform the following on the Blackberry:

1. Select Media from the Blackberry desktop->
    2. Using the "Pearl Wheel" select the type of incoming content (Music, Photos, Videos, etc..)
    3. Press the menu key and select Receive Using Bluetooth
    2. You should see a message on the phone that says Waiting for Connection.

On the remote computer or other mobile phone that has the desired content

1. Launch the Bluetooth file transfer program if applicable to the remote computer/phone
    2. Select the file you want to send to the Blackberry Curve
    3. Click the Search button on the computer or mobile phone if applicable to find the Blackberry Curve.
    4. Send the selected file....

On the Blackberry

1. Press yes on the BlackBerry to allow/accept the incoming transfer.
    2. Next, a menu will pop up to confirm to keep the original filename of incoming file and default save location of /DefaultUser/ringtones. To change the default directory, use the "pearl wheel" to move up to the "folder" icon in the pop-up menu and change to the desired folder. If the desired folder is on the "SD card", select "SD Media" as the root directory and navigate from that point to find the directory of choice. **Note** You can create new directories on the SD card from the Blackberry in this mode but you may have to re-initiate the filetransfer process. If you don't have pre-existing directories created and you're attempting to transfer files to the root directory of the SD card, the Blackberry file manager will appear to only be able to overwrite existing files. No fear, simply choose the root folder, highlight an existing file, but then change the name of the incoming file to a name of choice using the "pearl wheel".

krypto88 likes this.
    02-02-08 10:08 AM
    complete hogwash, it states quite clearly when you open desktop manager media manager is only supported on usb mode, blackberry 8310 curve has no file transfer ability built into the bluetooth service. the only services available between a pc and the blackberry are, audio gateway and dial up networking and the dial up networking is nearly impossible to get working, vodafone have given up trying to support it and told me to refer to rim, sadly the blackberry 8310 is not a great device, it works fine for emails and as a telephone, thats about it, frankly it sucks, I prefer my old motorola razor.
    Last edited by rapidlaser; 02-14-08 at 09:10 PM.
    02-14-08 09:07 PM
    Had the same problem, works wonders now. Except the blutooth from my hp laptop seems a tad slower than phone to phone for some reason....
    02-15-08 06:19 AM
    complete hogwash, it states quite clearly when you open desktop manager media manager is only supported on usb mode, blackberry 8310 curve has no file transfer ability built into the bluetooth service. the only services available between a pc and the blackberry are, audio gateway and dial up networking and the dial up networking is nearly impossible to get working, vodafone have given up trying to support it and told me to refer to rim, sadly the blackberry 8310 is not a great device, it works fine for emails and as a telephone, thats about it, frankly it sucks, I prefer my old motorola razor.
    I was just wondering why would bb curve give an option to send via bluetooth if its not availible. That option was put in there for a reason. There has to be a way. I agree that this phone might have been an upset for me. but I will just make the best of it.
    02-19-08 11:31 AM
    I am new to the Blackberry and not impressed. I have a 8310 Curve and found out from reading the problems others were have (as I do) and have this couple of questions.
    1. Do you always have to go to the media you are receiving, pic, music, vid, etc. and push accept from bluetooth?

2. Why will it not connect to my HP PC. If all I can do is send files, talk on the thing as a phone, or receive a email, then it is history.
    Last edited by Terry Lee; 03-16-08 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typed wrong word
    03-16-08 06:11 PM
    I'm able to do everything fine, except navigate to the right folder on my 8320 while receiving the file via bluetooth from my pc.
    When i use my trackball to navigate to the folder icon, it takes me to "Media Card/Blackberry/Ringtones" by default. But once i'm there, i keep scrolling, but just can't navigate one level up/down - nothing. Frustrating !
    I have a 4G SD card, and it is detected fine when i connect my BB via USB.
    Pls help !
    06-30-08 12:03 AM
    I was just wondering why would bb curve give an option to send via bluetooth if its not availible. That option was put in there for a reason. There has to be a way. I agree that this phone might have been an upset for me. but I will just make the best of it.
    And correct you are, despite Rapidlaser's quick dismissal of the file transfer feature for the 8310. After all, it really wouldn't make much sense for them to offer the option for file transfers via bluetooth without actually implementing the functionality.

Here's how to do it:

1. For those of you who can't even get your computer to even detect your curve, this may sound really simple, but I'm sure you've overlooked this. From the Bluetooth options screen that shows your listed device, hit the menu button, and scroll down to "Options." See the listed information? Make sure that next to "Discoverable," it has "Yes" listed. If not, click the scroll wheel and change it to yes. I bet you're kicking yourself for that one.

2. Now this is where it gets somewhat tricky and misleading. Even after having switched "Discoverable" to "Yes" allowing your computer to detect the 8310, you will still get a message saying "Remote device does not support service" if you try to transfer a file from your computer to the curve using your transfer application.

This is when you have to go into your "Media" application and select any format type. After doing so, hit the menu button, and select "Receive Using Bluetooth." While it's waiting, select whatever file you wish to send on your computer, select send via Bluetooth, and then select your 8310. No matter what format you started the receiving process on, the 8310 will automatically detect what type of file was transferred and put it in its respective folder.

There you have it folks. I have no clue why this process was made so arbitrary on the 8310, but file transfers via Bluetooth are definitely doable. Sorry Rapid, looks like you were wrong, and the funny thing is, I just got my 8310 today, and I was able to figure this out without having even read the quick or starting guide.
    08-12-08 11:57 PM
    i was having the same problem with my curve but thnks to you guys i figured it out. Thnks
    08-14-08 12:28 PM
    So, any advice on sending pics from my phone to my MacBook?

Here's how to do it:

1. For those of you who can't even get your computer to even detect your curve, this may sound really simple, but I'm sure you've overlooked this. From the Bluetooth options screen that shows your listed device, hit the menu button, and scroll down to "Options." See the listed information? Make sure that next to "Discoverable," it has "Yes" listed. If not, click the scroll wheel and change it to yes. I bet you're kicking yourself for that one.

2. Now this is where it gets somewhat tricky and misleading. Even after having switched "Discoverable" to "Yes" allowing your computer to detect the 8310, you will still get a message saying "Remote device does not support service" if you try to transfer a file from your computer to the curve using your transfer application.

This is when you have to go into your "Media" application and select any format type. After doing so, hit the menu button, and select "Receive Using Bluetooth." While it's waiting, select whatever file you wish to send on your computer, select send via Bluetooth, and then select your 8310. No matter what format you started the receiving process on, the 8310 will automatically detect what type of file was transferred and put it in its respective folder.

There you have it folks. I have no clue why this process was made so arbitrary on the 8310, but file transfers via Bluetooth are definitely doable. Sorry Rapid, looks like you were wrong, and the funny thing is, I just got my 8310 today, and I was able to figure this out without having even read the quick or starting guide.[/QUOTE]
    12-21-08 11:36 AM
    Hey, thanks for spuring me on. While I have an 8830, I only recently got a tiny/micro Kensington Bluetooth dongle for my desktop computer. I had managed to use it to Sync and Backup using BB Desktop Manager but did not try copying any files using it and didn't have a clue.

Vista here. I had to click on the BT icon in the tasktray and navigate to a file to "upload" to the BB. But then I thought it was going to take forever. But I noticed on the BB I had to basically accept the transfer. A 1meg picture was on the BB - stored it on the media card.

So, is there a way that the BB will show up in an EXPLORER window like it does when connected by usb cord?
    Last edited by F2; 12-21-08 at 09:34 PM.
    12-21-08 09:31 PM
    hey everyone,

I just got my blackberry storm the other week and I was trying to figure out as well how I could receive media files from my laptop to my BB storm. Bluetooth in my laptop was telling me that my BB did not have the File Transfer service.
    I then figured it out with a little help from some thread and the right click menu hehe.

First, as someone said before, click on Media on your BB. Then click on the directory you wish you save your files to.
    Then, click on the blackberry button and click Receive Using Bluetooth. It will then say waiting for a connection.

After I did that, I went on to my laptop, right clicked on the file I want to send, clicked on Send To --> Bluetooth--> Other... A window should then pop up asking you which device you want to connect to. Select your device then click OK.

Once you click OK you should receive a message on your BB asking you if you would like to accept the connection request. Click yes and save the file.

I don't know if this is the most efficient way to send files via Bluetooth but it definitely worked for me. I'm am also using Windows XP but I don't think that should make much of a difference.

01-01-09 05:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD