Does anyone know anything about cell phone docking at home? I've read a little bit about it, and would LOVE to get rid of my landline phone and be able to use my cell phone with my home cordless phone. SmithGear's "XLink BTTN Cell Bluetooth Cell Phone Docking Station Device" is an example of this type of product. I'm hoping folks out there have tried this and can recommend it, or have advice as to why I should stay away from it. Thanks!
    05-04-09 04:36 PM
    I've been looking at this also. Hope someone out there has given it a try.
    05-07-09 10:14 AM
    (I own a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330, BTW)

We're looking into disconnecting our landline at home and going "all cell, all the time."

I've ordered a USB wireless modem from our cell carrier (Sprint) and am going to test it out on our home PC. If it meets our internet and e-mail needs, I'd also like to look into a "bluetooth gateway" for our home, so that once we enter the house, we pair our cell phones with the gateway and when people call our cell numbers, the home cordless phones that we currently own, ring. (So we don't have to carry our cells with us or run around the house trying to answer them when they ring.)

Does anyone know anything about "bluetooth gateway" technology (or know someone in your MIS department that would)? There's just SO MUCH technology out there and I'd rather run it by someone in the field before I go and make any purchases. I don't want to end up with a piece of crap but I also don't want to pay $$$hundreds for it!
    09-01-09 04:18 PM
    I have had a Bluetooth Home Docking Device for a couple of years and I like it. I have 4 reg. wireless phones around and don't have to run for my cell phone. I have Dock-N-Talk but when you get one make sure it works with that cell phone you have. This one has a list of them for you but be warned mine has been in the shop twice. I just ordered a Xlinkitc-Bttn which can take up to 3 cell phones. I am unable to get a list of the cell phones it works with so I am taking a big chance. I hope this one works so when one of us leave with our cell phone the other cell phone will still work with the reg. phones. I hope this helps I have now Verizon with a Samsung Convoy. It is new cell phone out so it will be a gamble for me.
    11-26-09 09:46 PM
    I've been using a Xlink BTTN for about 6 months. It is linked to both mine and my wife's BB Curve 8330M (US Cellular) and works GREAT! The only issue is the BTTN will not display the Name from either phone's directory when receiving a cell call. The number comes through just not the name - I'm waiting for a firmware update that should fix that problem. Otherwise the sound quaility is unbelieveable! Other than looking at the caller ID I cannot tell the differance between a cell call or land line call when using it. We are going to drop our land line shortly we are so impressed with it's operation.
    12-27-09 09:35 PM
    I have a Dock-N-Talk with Pearl Flip. Works fine but does NOT display names from the phone book, numbers only.

Phonelabs (DNT maker) have a firmware upgrade available, but charge $25 + one way shipping to install it, and CANNOT tell me whether it fixes the issue (or if the issue is with the phone).

Anyone know for sure if the latest DNT firmware fixes this?

I have the same problem with my car (2009 Murano), which makes me suspect that BB is at fault.

jknutter, are you certain that BTTN firmware upgrade will fix the issue?
    12-29-09 06:56 PM
    I have a Dock-N-Talk with Pearl Flip. Works fine but does NOT display names from the phone book, numbers only.

Phonelabs (DNT maker) have a firmware upgrade available, but charge $25 + one way shipping to install it, and CANNOT tell me whether it fixes the issue (or if the issue is with the phone).

Anyone know for sure if the latest DNT firmware fixes this?

I have the same problem with my car (2009 Murano), which makes me suspect that BB is at fault.

jknutter, are you certain that BTTN firmware upgrade will fix the issue?
    Just wondering...did this issue with not displaying the names from the phone book ever get resolved? I just got a Gigaset One and updated it to the latest (XLink) firmware and still no names...
    07-07-10 12:48 AM
    Just wondering...did this issue with not displaying the names from the phone book ever get resolved? I just got a Gigaset One and updated it to the latest (XLink) firmware and still no names...
    Well, it seems as though that BlackBerry phones send only the number and not the name when it comes to caller ID info over Bluetooth. Even if you have the contact stored in your phone and it comes up with a name and number, only the number will be sent to the Bluetooth device.

I got an email back from XLink stating as far as they know only the MotoRokr and the iPhone (no gens specified) actually send both name and number caller ID info over Bluetooth, but BlackBerry does not. I would verify this info before I bank on it though.

So, if you are planning on using a Bluetooth enabled device to read, or pass caller ID information from your BlackBerry make sure the end device (cordless phone, hands free system, etc) has enough room to hold all your contacts as you will only get Caller ID names for the numbers stored in the end device.

Also, you would want to look for one that can read contacts over Bluetooth from your specific cell/smartphone rather than spending the hours entering all the contacts by hand.

My headache started when I purchased a Gigaset One / Xlink Cellular Gateway and didn't get Caller ID names on the AT&T cordless phone. A lot of the cordless phones only have a 50 number phone book which would not be enough. That phone got replaced with AT&T's TL92270 that states it can pair with and load 1500 contacts from 4 cell phones (yeah, 6000 total). That should be enough... :-)
    07-08-10 09:28 AM
    I got rid of my landline ($50/mo) over a year ago and never looked back. No of family members have lines.

The hardest thing about getting rid of it was compiling an email list to notify everyone and calling credit card companies and everyone else that had my landline number. (utilities, doctors etc)

I just use my cell. No BT docking.

Good Luck
    07-08-10 10:08 PM
    That was my plan as well except for the fact that the home office/lab has very poor cell reception. Nothing like hosting a conference call and then having your cell drop out and disconnecting everyone...that was great...
    07-08-10 10:33 PM
    I bought a V-Tech D6322 phone system from Costco and love it. It's a 4 handset wireless system with answering system. It allows for a home phone line plus two simultaneous bluetooth connections, including headsets. I believe it will pair 4 devices, but will only connect to 2 at the same time. It auto pairs to both my 8530 and my girlfriends, essentially making it a 3 line phone system. It works very well and the quality is very clear. I come home from work and plug my BB into the charger in my bedroom and get all my calls through the VTech. Each line can have it's own distinctive ring.

The phone system will download your phone's phonebook into it's own phonebook. Phonebook entries will show name and number CID information. It works so good, I've been tempted to disconnect my home phone and add another cell line so I can get a new BB and keep my 8530 at home on the charger, connected to the VTech.

My only complaint is there is no 2.5/3.5MM headset jack. Other than that, the system is great.

Here's a link.

VTech DS6322-3 Cordless phone
    07-18-10 02:13 PM
    No as of yet the XLink BTTN does not display the name just the number - but I'm still very happy with it.
    08-05-10 11:21 PM
    bro BBTN does not display the name just the number
    08-08-10 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD