Blueant Q1

After a few days of testing this device in different environments, this headset is going back!

PROS:

-Set-up (pairing is easy)

-Voice interface is interesting. That's about it really. Why? The utility of the voice control system in the device (known as the "Blue Genie") makes operation more complicated since the user must choose between the Blueant's voice recognition program (which can be controlled with a variety of voice commands and uses speed dials), OR your Blackberry's internal voice recognition program which renders your incredible "Blue Genie" useless since you cannot use the Q1's voice commands in this mode.

-Incoming sound quality adequately loud, clear, and adjustable.

-Comfortable, safe fit.

-Small stylish appearance (although this factor means very little to me).

CONS:

-Choosing the voice program in your Blackberry renders the Blueant's Q1 voice commands useless without pressing the button, so it's not entirely voice controlled.

-Outgoing calls were reported by call recipients to sound slightly computerized and choppy and horrible if any wind were involved.

-The headset failed about 60% of the time to understand its own voice commands unless I was in a completely quiet environment and even then sometimes failed to recognize well-enunciated commands.

-Battery life appears to be less than comparable headsets. Battery life at full charge was low after about 3 hours of typical (not non-stop) use.

-In view of the above, the $129.00 price tag is extremely high. I personally would not purchase this device at any price after having purchased and used it. I feel like I should be paid for wasting my time.

-I'm now faced with finding an alternative Bluetooth headset that just works. Period.

Verdict:

If you find the uniqueness of the talking user interface valuable, then perhaps this might be the gadget for you. As a bluetooth headset for practical use, it failed dismally for me in almost every respect. It therefore will be returned. Of course, all of the foregoing represents my own opinions for whatever they are worth. I'm now turning my attention to Plantronics and Jawbone as candidates.

05-19-09 09:21 PM
    I got my Q1 early last week and was very disappointed as well. From a battery life perspective...both the Q1 and the Jawbone Prime suck...but I want quality sound...so I'll sacrifice.

Now - I was unhappy with (a) the headset volume was too low; I even updated to latest firmware of 8.14...no help, and (b) it did not drown out the background noise hardly at all. I also was not very keen on it's fit.

I went out and bought a Jawbone Prime so that I could compare. Call quality was pretty much the same (to me and to the person I spoke with)...though the Jawbone Prime was lightyears better in terms of noise control and fit.

I went and exchanged the Q1 today for another because the Sprint guys at my local store were so adiment about the quality of theirs (they even bought it outright vs. waiting to get their own discounts supposedly).

Man - this new Q1 headset is so much better. The volume is MUCH louder than the other AND it noise cancels very well according to the people I called (e.g. radio going and window down...clear voice). I looked and the firmware on this unit is actually 8.12 (so 2 versions back from what you can download)...but if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

At present - my wife is going to keep the Jawbone Prime and I'm going to keep the Q1 (but I will continue testing over next week or so just to make sure).
    05-20-09 08:52 PM
    I got my Q1 early last week and was very disappointed as well. From a battery life perspective...both the Q1 and the Jawbone Prime suck...but I want quality sound...so I'll sacrifice.

Now - I was unhappy with (a) the headset volume was too low; I even updated to latest firmware of 8.14...no help, and (b) it did not drown out the background noise hardly at all. I also was not very keen on it's fit.

I went out and bought a Jawbone Prime so that I could compare. Call quality was pretty much the same (to me and to the person I spoke with)...though the Jawbone Prime was lightyears better in terms of noise control and fit.

I went and exchanged the Q1 today for another because the Sprint guys at my local store were so adiment about the quality of theirs (they even bought it outright vs. waiting to get their own discounts supposedly).

Man - this new Q1 headset is so much better. The volume is MUCH louder than the other AND it noise cancels very well according to the people I called (e.g. radio going and window down...clear voice). I looked and the firmware on this unit is actually 8.12 (so 2 versions back from what you can download)...but if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

At present - my wife is going to keep the Jawbone Prime and I'm going to keep the Q1 (but I will continue testing over next week or so just to make sure).
    I know it has only been two days.... but what's your assessment about the Q1 now? Still worth the "$"?

I've already tried-out the JB Prime, thinking that they might have finally fixed the fitment issues that plagued the last two models... but no joy.

And I've been considering the Voyager Pro, but I'm not a fan of the bulky design.

But the Q1 has peaked my interest considerably, especially since I've had great experiences with Blue Ant in the past.
    05-23-09 05:20 AM

I also had the same firmware version on my Q1. I tried every possible solution to solve what basically seemed to me to be an overly complicated device (BECAUSE of the ADDITIONAL voice) that didn't function properly, and failed to be even minimally useful as Bluetooth headset. I would even go as far as to say that this model fails completely. A $40.00 Motorola from any source would blow the pants off this thing. I really wanted to like the Q1 as well, but here too, no joy.

Here's the good news. I now have a Plantronics PRO and it is, by far, the best Bluetooth headset I've ever used. It should be in a class all its own. Ultimately, what matters most to me about any Bluetooth headset is performance and SOUND. The PRO is first rate in both these respects...and ya know what...it's easy to wear AND looks cool too.
    05-23-09 10:11 PM
    I also had the same firmware version on my Q1. I tried every possible solution to solve what basically seemed to me to be an overly complicated device (BECAUSE of the ADDITIONAL voice) that didn't function properly, and failed to be even minimally useful as Bluetooth headset. I would even go as far as to say that this model fails completely. A $40.00 Motorola from any source would blow the pants off this thing. I really wanted to like the Q1 as well, but here too, no joy.

Here's the good news. I now have a Plantronics PRO and it is, by far, the best Bluetooth headset I've ever used. It should be in a class all its own. Ultimately, what matters most to me about any Bluetooth headset is performance and SOUND. The PRO is first rate in both these respects...and ya know what...it's easy to wear AND looks cool too.
    After reading countless reviews of Q1 users.... and finding more negative than positive, I decided to pick up a Voyager Pro today.

At first I wasn't too thrilled about it's design.... but after getting used to it's fitment on my ear (I just wish it came with an ear gel that felt nice and snug in my ear canal) and ease of use... I'm starting to like it.
    Though its only been a day, I plan on putting it through it's paces to see if satisfies my needs as BT.
    05-24-09 03:53 AM
    After reading countless reviews of Q1 users.... and finding more negative than positive, I decided to pick up a Voyager Pro today.

At first I wasn't too thrilled about it's design.... but after getting used to it's fitment on my ear (I just wish it came with an ear gel that felt nice and snug in my ear canal) and ease of use... I'm starting to like it.
    Though its only been a day, I plan on putting it through it's paces to see if satisfies my needs as BT.
    Plantronics PRO Update:
    I had the opportunity to test the Plantronics Voyager PRO in front of very loud live band this weekend and to my amazement, I could hear the caller clearly, and she was able to hear me well enough to the extent that she didn't even recognize the SLIGHT background noise as a band, AND she heard every word I said.

After trying almost every other major manufacturer, nothing even comes close in my opinion.
    05-26-09 08:43 PM
    After extensive testing since this weekend, I decided to send the Voyager Pro back.

Despite it's capable prowess... it's bulkiness just drove me nuts!! I also had one heck of a time trying to get the ear piece to stay put in my ear (even after using the appropriate ear gel... no joy). The biggest drawback was trying to get a proper fit while wearing glasses/sunglasses.

As for it's abilities as a BT, it rocks!! The only other BT that I found that was capable of performing just as well, was my wife's V1.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be more happy with the Voyager Pro, if it were more stream lined minus the huge ear hook.

*As for you posters having issues with the Q1, have you tried the latest .15 firmware update? One of my co-workers has a Q1 with the .15 update, combined with his Storm, and its as loud and clear as a V1.

I do believe I will give the Q1 a shot... that is as soon as they start getting more in stock around here.
    05-29-09 03:20 AM
    I've had my Q1 for about a week and haven't had any issues with it. I have no complaints from people I talk to about how I sound.

I use the Q1's vice commands over the BB's and have yet to experience any issues. The only time I had a problem was when I yawned or was too quiet saying a command.

I have updated the firmware to 8.15, so maybe that was the issue you guys were having. The sales reps at Sprint were all wearing them and spoke highly of it.

I will post back if I have any negative issues with the Q1.
    06-07-09 09:43 PM
    I've had my Q1 for about a week and haven't had any issues with it. I have no complaints from people I talk to about how I sound.

I use the Q1's vice commands over the BB's and have yet to experience any issues. The only time I had a problem was when I yawned or was too quiet saying a command.

I have updated the firmware to 8.15, so maybe that was the issue you guys were having. The sales reps at Sprint were all wearing them and spoke highly of it.

I will post back if I have any negative issues with the Q1.
    That's virtually what my co-worker's experience with the Q1 is like. He's had no issues whatsoever.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one and give it a run through.
    06-08-09 12:56 AM
    Okay, I have had an issue. I'm not sure if it was me or the phone, but when the voice prompt said the number of the incoming call and asked me "Answer or Ignore", I said answer, but nothing happened.

I've received one call so far on the Q1 (I work midnight shift so normal ppl don't call me) so maybe it was just me.

I'll post back when someone else calls me
    06-11-09 12:12 AM
    Well, received another phone call and no dice with saying "answer". I'll have to check with BlueAnt...
    06-12-09 04:06 AM
    I'm using the Q1 right now and it's working quite well for me. I'm only using it while in the car (which is not alot) but it's been good.

Tried the Plantronics Voyager Pro and it was promising except for the size. Thing is huge! The biggest issue (and reason for returning it) was that, since I use it in the car, my sunglasses were always in the way of it. It looked pretty cool until you see the bulk of it behind the ear.
    06-12-09 10:49 AM
    Has anyone else had the issue with the answer or ignore voice prompts with an incoming call?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 12:57 PM
    Has anyone else had the issue with the answer or ignore voice prompts with an incoming call?

Maybe it just needs to be re-paired to it's device, as well as a voice recognition with your Curve?

I've known some BTs to act the same way when voice recognition is involved (Voyager 855, Pro, V1, JB2....), no matter what the phone is.
    06-12-09 10:03 PM
    I'll try that.
    06-13-09 05:56 AM
    Ok I figured it out. Apparently there is a one to two second delay when you say "answer" for the phone call to connect. So now everything works perfect!

06-16-09 04:46 PM
    I'm using the Q1 right now and it's working quite well for me. I'm only using it while in the car (which is not alot) but it's been good.

Tried the Plantronics Voyager Pro and it was promising except for the size. Thing is huge! The biggest issue (and reason for returning it) was that, since I use it in the car, my sunglasses were always in the way of it. It looked pretty cool until you see the bulk of it behind the ear.
    Glad to hear that the Q1 is working for you. Running the gamit of bluetooths devices out there to find the one that works best for you can be quite a challenging endeavor. For me personally, I wouldn't use a Q1 even if I were given one free. I can relate to your issues about the bulkiness of the Plantronics PRO, but in my opinion, the whole thing is super light and made of very comfortable material. It's performance under all conditions, in my humble opinion, can't be matched. With regard to your sunglasses issue, I can relate, but havent found that to be a problem at all. I just put the PRO on first, or adjust the ear piece on my glasses a bit. I'm glad we both found BTs that work for us, but for those who are in the market for a BT, I say, "if it HAS to work, get the PRO, it won't fail you."
    06-20-09 03:26 AM
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Just ordered a Blue Ant Q1. Normally these reviews would have swayed me in another direction but unfortunately I have never found a Plantronics headset that fit my ear. I don't know what it is about my ear but I have tried a bunch of the top of the line models over the years including the Pro and just couldn't deal with how uncomfortable they all were.

I eventually settled on a Jawbone 2 and it has served me pretty well for almost a year. Recently from what everyone I talk to is teling me it no longer has good call quality. I never used the Noise Assassin option as the little nub that sticks out doesn't touch my face plus I have side burns and if I push it to touch my face it's in the burns and still doesn't work. If I turn it on no one hears anything I say. Otherwise it worked great. I woud have returned it due to the noise assassin not working for me but I got it off NewEgg for about $50.00 so I kept it and just used it.

Now I am awaiting my Blue Ant Q1. Ordered off ebay for $60.00 from a seller I trust and have used multiple times in the past. I will throw a review up as soon as I put it through it's paces for a week or two.
    08-07-09 03:54 PM
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Just ordered a Blue Ant Q1. Normally these reviews would have swayed me in another direction but unfortunately I have never found a Plantronics headset that fit my ear. I don't know what it is about my ear but I have tried a bunch of the top of the line models over the years including the Pro and just couldn't deal with how uncomfortable they all were.

I eventually settled on a Jawbone 2 and it has served me pretty well for almost a year. Recently from what everyone I talk to is teling me it no longer has good call quality. I never used the Noise Assassin option as the little nub that sticks out doesn't touch my face plus I have side burns and if I push it to touch my face it's in the burns and still doesn't work. If I turn it on no one hears anything I say. Otherwise it worked great. I woud have returned it due to the noise assassin not working for me but I got it off NewEgg for about $50.00 so I kept it and just used it.

Now I am awaiting my Blue Ant Q1. Ordered off ebay for $60.00 from a seller I trust and have used multiple times in the past. I will throw a review up as soon as I put it through it's paces for a week or two.
    Looking forward to your review.
    08-12-09 10:54 PM
    I purchased a BlueAnt V1 for $58.00new on ebay store, works great, wish it had Direct connect button, using it on 8350i.
    Blueant Q1

After a few days of testing this device in different environments, this headset is going back!

PROS:

-Set-up (pairing is easy)

-Voice interface is interesting. That's about it really. Why? The utility of the voice control system in the device (known as the "Blue Genie") makes operation more complicated since the user must choose between the Blueant's voice recognition program (which can be controlled with a variety of voice commands and uses speed dials), OR your Blackberry's internal voice recognition program which renders your incredible "Blue Genie" useless since you cannot use the Q1's voice commands in this mode.

-Incoming sound quality adequately loud, clear, and adjustable.

-Comfortable, safe fit.

-Small stylish appearance (although this factor means very little to me).

CONS:

-Choosing the voice program in your Blackberry renders the Blueant's Q1 voice commands useless without pressing the button, so it's not entirely voice controlled.

-Outgoing calls were reported by call recipients to sound slightly computerized and choppy and horrible if any wind were involved.

-The headset failed about 60% of the time to understand its own voice commands unless I was in a completely quiet environment and even then sometimes failed to recognize well-enunciated commands.

-Battery life appears to be less than comparable headsets. Battery life at full charge was low after about 3 hours of typical (not non-stop) use.

-In view of the above, the $129.00 price tag is extremely high. I personally would not purchase this device at any price after having purchased and used it. I feel like I should be paid for wasting my time.

-I'm now faced with finding an alternative Bluetooth headset that just works. Period.

Verdict:

If you find the uniqueness of the talking user interface valuable, then perhaps this might be the gadget for you. As a bluetooth headset for practical use, it failed dismally for me in almost every respect. It therefore will be returned. Of course, all of the foregoing represents my own opinions for whatever they are worth. I'm now turning my attention to Plantronics and Jawbone as candidates.

10-21-09 11:55 AM
    I have 2 Q1 units and the latest Jawbone - all are great units but the battery life of the Jawbone is superior to the Q1. Keep in mind I am on allot of conference calls that last hours on end. I have one BB Bold for work and another for play. Both have a Q1 however the Jawbone is now on my work unit. I have ran the latest 9K ROM of 4.6 and the OS5 314 ROM with no major issues. My Q1 units both came with 8.15 firmware and I have ran each firmware update between that and the current 8.19...

Typically for me a gall goes like this:

Start out with the phone and both headsets fully charged.
    Join the call with the Jawbone.
    After about 3.5 hours the Jawbone starts to beep as it looses charge.
    I switch the phone over to speakerphone and disable BT so I can power off the JB.
    I put it on the charger and turn BT back on my phone.
    I power up the Q1 and let it auto connect.
    I then switch the audio back to the headset for say another ~3 hours of BT.
    About 1 hour into that last stretch I put the phone on a charger and enjoy the ~30' range of BT....

The only issue I have is with the Jawbone where when powering it off ti does not immediately disconnect like the Q1s do. It does this on all ROMs and both of my phones. It takes an extra ~5s once the LED is off on the headset to terminate the connection on the phone itself....
    12-01-09 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD