I just watched a video on bloomberg app called " what will kill the iphone 6 look like" and once again they get it wrong with BlackBerry. The big mistake is that they say that bb10 can run android apps and that will be Black berry's down fall. Has any one else seen this...

Sorry I can't find the link on the Web.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 07:46 AM
    Dumb comment.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 07:53 AM
    http://cdn3.videos.bloomberg.com/m/N...f3d9c4_240.mp4
    Just found the link

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    05-15-14 07:58 AM
    Yeah dumb simplistic comment. Don't they know that being able to run different 2 different OS based apps is actually brilliant and a feat in itself?! Who doesn't want options?

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska and theRock1975 like this.
    05-15-14 08:02 AM
    Bloomberg seem correct from where I sit. Not all Android apps work properly under BB10, and it's largely removed any incentive for Devs to write native apps. A double blow that may indeed be fatal.

JBB
    05-15-14 08:11 AM
    Bloomberg seem correct from where I sit. Not all Android apps work properly under BB10, and it's largely removed any incentive for Devs to write native apps. A double blow that may indeed be fatal.

JBB
    This. When I use my Z10 I want my apps to be native so they can take advantage of the OS and active frames. If a developer of a popular app catches wind that their app can be used on BB10 via the android player, that developer doesn't have much incentive to write their app to take advantage of all that BB10 offers. This leaves a bit of a fragmented app experience.

ETA: I watched the video and it seemed a bit harsh. To me it sounded less like they thought the lack of apps was what was going to be their demise, but the lack of a "cool factor" and the fact that there are "better phones" in the Jakarta market selling for less.
    05-15-14 08:21 AM

JBB
    All the Droid apps I want work.

I think the point of the Android player is that it allows Android developers another avenue to reach another platform with a pretty simple porting process. Of course, it's not going to port perfectly for everyone but the tools are much improved from the dev end. This gives the exposure for developers to possibly consider developing natively but nothings a guarantee but it's still better than not having that in the first place without the Android player.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:25 AM
    Plus it will allow them to gauge by the number of downloads whether it would be worthwhile to make a native version.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:28 AM
    All the Droid apps I want work.

I think the point of the Android player is that it allows Android developers another avenue to reach another platform with a pretty simple porting process. Of course, it's not going to port perfectly for everyone but the tools are much improved from the dev end. This gives the exposure for developers to possibly consider developing natively but nothings a guarantee but it's still better than not having that in the first place without the Android player.

Posted via CB10
    That indeed was the point of the Android player. It was a developer tool aimed to make it easy for developers to get their apps onto BB10. Then people figured out how to sideload the Android apps on their own. After that came snap. So now developers don't feel the need to take their time to write a BB10 app since we can already get it from other means.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 05-15-14 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
    05-15-14 08:33 AM
    With the 10.3 or 10.3.1 OS, the runtime is hopefully smoother and works with the most used android apps. If so they should do a press release and market it together with the new phones. BlackBerry 10. The best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:43 AM
    I wonder if Bloomberg will say the same thing when the Microsoft/Nokia OS has the same android ability as BB by the end of this year. The android experience is fragmented already by the OEM's, so it really wont matter by this time next year.
    05-15-14 08:44 AM
    That guy has not read his homework. Expert? Really? He probably has never been to Jakarta, lol. Typical follow the stream jerk off.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:51 AM
    That indeed was the point of the Android player. It was a developer too aimed to make it easy for developers to get their apps onto BB10. Then people figured out how to sideload the Android apps on their own. After that came snap. So now developers don't feel the need to take their time to write a BB10 app since we can already get it from other means.
    What we lose here is nothing comparing to what we gain with Android player.

Without Android player, the app devs who would consider to develop for BlackBerry 10 would be close to none.

With Android player, that "near zero" number is reduced to a third of what it would have been without android player. The amount reduced is... still close to none.

But the number of apps usable in BlackBerry 10 has increased by... half of what Google Play offer.

You do the math.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2234
    05-15-14 09:13 AM

JBB
    I agree, the Android app player was a mistake. Drove off developers and is a very inconsistent experience for users.

I personally wouldn't mind the lack of native BlackBerry 10 apps if BB10 could run Android apps as well as Jolla Sailfish does, but it isn't even close. With Sailfish OS, you have native applications as well as Android applications that can be downloaded and installed directly from the Google Play Store. The Android apps also launch much faster and many apps that will not work on BlackBerry 10 do work on Sailfish, including Google's own apps.

I think it would help a lot if the experience on BB10 was that good.
    05-15-14 09:25 AM
    That guy from bgr. He hates BB with a passion.
    05-15-14 09:29 AM
    If you're buying this, you're buying a blackberry,
    You have no apps,
    you've a bad experience,
    you've bad software,
    you're a company that may not be around in a couple of years...

... AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE COOL FACTOR, BLACKBERRY IS NOT COOL...

05-15-14 09:32 AM
    Wait until Windermere comes out. They will bash on BB even more!!

That square looking phone will definitely not appeal to the US market!

I'll surely buy it, i'm intrigued already, but i can already see the faces of all americans carrying iPhones.. It's a "bold" move from blackberry to launch such a big qwerty device though. Let's see how it will come through...
    05-15-14 09:42 AM
    That indeed was the point of the Android player. It was a developer tool aimed to make it easy for developers to get their apps onto BB10. Then people figured out how to sideload the Android apps on their own. After that came snap. So now developers don't feel the need to take their time to write a BB10 app since we can already get it from other means.
    Disagree. Even with snap and direct APK installs, there is still a huge incentive for devs to write native apps. As apps outside of app world are not officially supported, it is possible certain things may not work (like in app purchases - where devs make money).

The biggest roadblock to native app development is lack of market penetration of BB10. I guarantee you if BB10 was selling as many phones as Apple then we would see a lot more native apps then ports (official and sideloads).

Imagine where BB10 would be today without the android runtime? People think only selling 1.3 million phones in Q1 is bad. How about a lot less then 1 million? Because those are the numbers we would be talking about instead.
    gokulesh, Donnierock and THBW like this.
    05-15-14 09:46 AM
    Android apps are a band aid, and a poor band aid at that. Any time anyone has an issue with their phone the first thing they are told to do is get rid of the last Android app you installed. They can kill your battery as well as screw up your phone. I downloaded iCam which is a video ministering app to use your computer as a surveillance camera and it completely f-d up my Z30 to where it had to be wiped clean and have the OS re-installed.

The only way to fix the app problem is to have make them native and running Android apps in my opinion brings more problems than it's worth.
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    05-15-14 09:50 AM
    He even quotes that BlackBerry is going to shut down in 2years. He hates BlackBerry a lot.
    The guy from bgr.
    Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 09:51 AM
    Disagree. Even with snap and direct APK installs, there is still a huge incentive for devs to write native apps. As apps outside of app world are not officially supported, it is possible certain things may not work (like in app purchases - where devs make money).

The biggest roadblock to native app development is lack of market penetration of BB10. I guarantee you if BB10 was selling as many phones as Apple then we would see a lot more native apps then ports (official and sideloads).

Imagine where BB10 would be today without the android runtime? People think only selling 1.3 million phones in Q1 is bad. How about a lot less then 1 million? Because those are the numbers we would be talking about instead.
    Our views actually aren't that far apart. I agree that for the end user having access to Android apps is better than nothing. All I'm saying is that I wish more developers would write native apps for BB10. As you alluded to, it's a catch 22 situation. Developers won't write apps for a platform with few users, and people won't by a platform without easy access to apps (going to the official app store for the platform). There WOULD be more of an incentive for devs to make native apps if more people were on BB10. But as it is, I'm guessing they see the small number of adopters, see that they have access to the Android version of their app, and at this time don't think creating a native BB10 app would yield a good ROI.
    05-15-14 10:28 AM
    Honestly that so called expert on Bloomberg and his cohorts makes me think that they are mindless idiots.

BlackBerry has all the cool factor I ever wanted and needed.!!

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    05-15-14 10:32 AM
    TBH I'm not even sure who that guy is. I got a bit annoyed when the woman said "You're being nice now, at the commercial you said you hated BlackBerry..." There was no need for that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-15-14 10:39 AM
    >bloomberg
    Considered a reliable business source of information.
    ESPECIALLY their pseudo-tech section.
    >2014
    >not using Washington post

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-15-14 11:01 AM
    My take away from the interview is twofold:

1. Apple understands how to maximize profits.
    2. Fashion over function.

Not much in their conversation about quality or functionality.

They do seem like a collection of dip****s that aren't talking about the technology at all.
    05-15-14 11:50 AM
82 123 ...