No problem, I actually fetched the code and am in the process of porting it to the 4.5 JDK, which is a bit of a bear. RIM doesn't give much documentation when they break an interface. popScreen now requires a Screen object as an argument. I'm going through and fixing those, as well as the network detection is now different.
    08-04-09 10:31 AM
    this is the best gps app i have used. i was in italy and used this for my geocaching and it worked great! no problems at all. i had the gc app running at the same time in it was not as accurate as blackstar.
    08-05-09 10:24 PM
    Duh, did I miss something ? Went to the Texas Hill country with 1.5 B* on my Storm. Of course, there was NO VZN and so no baseline B*. Are youse saying dat I just needed to switch modes to geocaching or the like ?

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 08-09-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: More info, call back
    08-09-09 05:40 PM
    Duh, did I miss something ? Went to the Texas Hill country with 1.5 B* on my Storm. Of course, there was NO VZN and so no baseline B*. Are youse saying dat I just needed to switch modes to geocaching or the like ?

Doctor Neutron
    The OS and GPS chipset will determine whether you are using AGPS or standalone GPS. Many, not all, phones use agps. If you are outside of cell range, you can still TRY Blackstar, it might work, might not depending on your OS and GPS.
    08-09-09 07:03 PM
    The OS and GPS chipset will determine whether you are using AGPS or standalone GPS. Many, not all, phones use agps. If you are outside of cell range, you can still TRY Blackstar, it might work, might not depending on your OS and GPS.
    Thanks for the AGPS / GPS lingo. I need to read more.

So...as regards our present discussion, how does Bcaching figure in ? Is is possible to make/maintain contact with this site and Storm without VZN ?

Doctor Neutron, clueless on B* so far.
    08-09-09 08:38 PM
    The connection to bcaching will require cell connection, so you will not be able to access it when outside of cell range.

I think I read that the Storm is dual mode GPS, meaning it can handle both agps and standalone gps. If that is true and it is not working without a cell connection, then that would tell me BlackStar is not getting the standalone GPS connection.

BlackStar is coded to just get the default location provider. I could probably add the gps connection criteria to the options screen to allow the user to control the criteria. I am in the middle of some changes, maybe I can get something in there.

Back to bcaching... If you are a premium geocaching.com member, then you can send your pocket queries to bcaching.com and it will store them online for you. They have a great mobile browser interface. And you can import the closest 20 geocaches from bcaching directly into BlackStar. bcaching is an excellent tool to use in conjunction with BlackStar.
    08-09-09 10:28 PM

Doctor Neutron
    I found something that I would like you to check out if you want...

Go to Options/Advanced Options/GPS. What is the value in the Location Aiding? If it is Enabled, try it with Disabled, or Disabled when roaming and see if that helps. The Aiding tells it to use the cell towers to assist in determining location
    08-09-09 11:06 PM
    I found something that I would like you to check out if you want...

Go to Options/Advanced Options/GPS. What is the value in the Location Aiding? If it is Enabled, try it with Disabled, or Disabled when roaming and see if that helps. The Aiding tells it to use the cell towers to assist in determining location
    I will certainly try your suggestions. This variable is set to Enabled right now. Wikipedia has a blurb on GPS versus AGPS that gives the big picture. When I went out with B* on my Storm, I forgot to turn my brain on. My excuse: two grandsons in the same car with me. I had totally repressed my other experiences with my son when we were using his two Garmins for geocaching. I definitely recall that we needed to avoid dense trees. I got a lot to learn on all this stuff.

Doctor Neutron

PS OK, with Location Aiding Enabled, at fixed location outdoors: Lat = 30.3753, Lon = -95.61146, Alt = -31.0m;
    with LAE Disabled, at the same fixed location outdoors: Lat = 30.37531, Lon = -95.61146, Alt = -32.0m.

This location has good VZN signal strength. This supports, but does not prove, the premise that Storm has both AGPS and GPS capability. (This Forum is all over the map on this subject!)
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 08-10-09 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Info on AGPS and GPS
    08-10-09 12:57 PM
    I've run into a problem which is *similar* to the Storm/compass issue, as described here and on the B* forum. However, I'm using an 8130 (4.5.0.131). I'm using B* 1.5.

When goecaching with our little kids and walkings slowly (ie: meandering), the GPS seems to think that we're completely stopped. While this isn't far from the truth, Blackstar seems to not want to update the direction and distance to the cache ever again.

While in this "locked" mode, I am unable to have the waypoints recalculate by distance. Effectively, no GPS information updates, no matter what I try. This is the case with both my puck and the internal receiver on the 8130. In the case of the puck, the bluetooth connection is being maintained.

I have tried walking briskly to stimulate some movement, and to have the system refresh distance, direction and speed. After walking briskly for several hundred meters over several minutes, no information has updated.

B* works 100% when tracking from a vehicle, ie: when the GPS speed is high enough to discern that we're moving. After stopping and starting in the car, the information refreshes again and is not subject to the same "lock" as when we're geocaching.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    08-11-09 01:10 PM
    I offer no help, but if misery loves company, then: my observations are your observations. It is so hot here in Texas, but what happens if you disable Location Aiding while walking ? Also, I'm wondering if we are missing some setup mystery move before going walking.

Doctor Neutron
    08-11-09 08:48 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for developing this app. I've recently come from Windows Mobile where I was using Memory Map here in the UK.

Is there any way to add the conversion to British OS grid so I can confirm my whereabouts when I'm geographically challenged?

I found a website that has the Java Script for the conversion if thats any help ( I'm not a programmer). I've only had two posts so I cannot enter a URL but you can Google 'movable type latlong-gridref'

Thanks again for this awsome app.

Jay
    08-16-09 11:03 AM
    Anything coming soon on this app? It hasn't been updated in a while.
    09-16-09 12:49 PM
    Anything coming soon on this app? It hasn't been updated in a while.
    Yes, we have some changes coming. I am troubleshooting import issues some users are having, then hopefully we can get a release together.

Should be soon.
    09-16-09 01:55 PM
    Great! Please say you fixed the tiny font problem. Makes using the Waypoints screen tough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 12:42 AM
    Yes, You will be able to specify the font size on each screen.
    09-17-09 08:11 AM
    Can someone point me to a user guide for this appliation please?
    09-23-09 08:23 AM
    Can someone point me to a user guide for this appliation please?
    There is a WIKI at BlackStar
    09-24-09 07:25 AM
    If anyone is interested in Beta testing the latest changes to BlackStar, there is a new thread in the BlackStar forums with the latest version available for download. I just ask that you report comments/issues/problems in that thread. It is available here:BlackStar Navigation View topic - BlackStar Team Needs your help with Beta Testing

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help us out.
    09-26-09 10:18 AM
    BlackStar 1.6.4 has been released. I updated the top post of this thread with the details.
    10-10-09 09:21 PM
    I have not used all of the features on the new version yet, but my initial use confirms that the new version is much improved and worth downloading. Thanks to the developer for making these updates.
    10-16-09 12:45 PM
    how do I get geocache.com caches to transfer into this app?
    10-24-09 05:26 AM
    how do I get geocache.com caches to transfer into this app?
    There are several ways to do this. First, are you a premium geocaching member (able to run poscket queries) or a free member?

Free members are limited on the data they can download. You would be limited to LOC files which only contain coordinates and cache name. You can download LOC files from the individual cache pages using the "LOC Waypoint File" button on the cache page. You can download multiple caches from the cache list page using the "Download Waypoints" button at the bottom of the list. Download the files to your computer and transfer to your SD card. Or you can do this directly to your SD card from your BB Browser.

If you are a premium geocaching member, you can download GPX files which contain all the cache information including description, hints, and logs. GPX files can be generated by using Pocket Queries, or the "GPX eXchange File"button on the individual cache page. you can also create a free account on bcaching.com. Bcaching allows you to store your pocket query results online in a mobile browser friendly website. BlackStar is integrated with bcaching to download the caches from your bcaching datbase based on your current location.

Strore the files on your sd card, then in BlackStar, go to List Waypoints, then click the "Import GPX/LOC" menu item. Navigate to the folder you stored the files in and click the file. It will then import the caches to BlackStar. With bcaching, you just need to click the "Get closest bcaching" menu item in the List waypoints page.
    10-24-09 10:49 AM
    First of all. Thank you. I was looking for a program for a while(dont know why it took so long to come across this) But I am very please I have found it. It works great. and now I have started the geocaching game which i have always wanted to do but just had it on the side and never got into it.

anyway some sugestions.

I like a radar feature I saw on another app. Is it the most useful probably not. would it change my mind on which app i use.. no.. But just a fun extra feature... if its not too hard.

Also I noticed that if I lose connection with the sats for a while. Like if I got inside for a few min... The only way to reconnect is completly exit the program and restart it. If i dont it just searches for hours.
    If im outside and it disconects for a second it will reconect.

THanks guys this is great and I push it to everyone I know.
    11-17-09 08:35 AM
    Question: Will this app function in south america? Or is it restricted to US and Canada?
    11-22-09 05:44 PM
    I imagine it would work anywhere GPS signals can be detected, which would be anywhere in the world.
    11-22-09 08:33 PM
152 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD