One thing i have noticed in the 20 minutes i have had this program is that there is no date and time saved when you mark a spot (waypoint). will that be added in the future? if i am wrong let me know, but i dont see one. i am going to use this as a fishing log and maybe for a little geocaching though i have never tried it, so the date and time would be huge for me. also if there was an option to save the weather at the time you mark the waypoint that would make a big difference to the fisherman/hunters out there. i dont know if that would have any use for the geocachers, but again for fishing purposes it would be very nice. this is a great program, and i am very excited that i have found it.
    -Stu
    There is no reason we can't add date and time to the waypoint. I will document it and we should be able to fit it in somewhere.

As far as the weather, there is a description field on the Mark Waypoint screen that could be used for that purpose, it just wouldn;t be automated.
    03-30-09 12:57 PM
    thanks for considering my ideas, ya i was hoping for automated weather since you have an option for current weather that has the date and approximate time. even simplified to temp,wind, conditions, pressure and moon phase would suit most fisherman/ hunters. copying and pasting from the current weather section to the waypoint description is very difficult on my storm. in any case i know this is a geocaching app not a fishing app. so i am happy with whatever you decide, and thank you for fitting in the date and time in a future version.
    03-30-09 03:48 PM
    thanks for considering my ideas, ya i was hoping for automated weather since you have an option for current weather that has the date and approximate time. even simplified to temp,wind, conditions, pressure and moon phase would suit most fisherman/ hunters. copying and pasting from the current weather section to the waypoint description is very difficult on my storm. in any case i know this is a geocaching app not a fishing app. so i am happy with whatever you decide, and thank you for fitting in the date and time in a future version.
    The Current Weather opens a web page in a browser, it is not real clean to try and pull information from a page like that. It can get messy and prone to bugs. However, a quick search brought up several possibilities for different weather APIs. These would return the data in a much more friendly manner.

How about this... A button in the edit waypoint page to pull in the current weather and add it to the beginning of the waypoint description?

I can document it as a possible enhancement and see where it goes...

We are trying to keep BlackStar from being just a geocaching app. So any time we can make it more useful to other activities, all the better.
    03-30-09 05:52 PM
    that sounds good, that way people wouldnt have to deal with the clutter of having the weather report on the waypoint if thats not something which interests them. man am i glad i found this thread! thank you,
    -stu
    03-30-09 10:01 PM
    Just wanted to thank you for a great GPS app. Have downloaded on my Storm and is working great. Going to use it with my scouts.
    03-30-09 10:01 PM
    I gotta make a post on the new page. Now if I could just think of something worthy to say to have someone quote me and make it easier for me to find. OH WELL... Great app and keep up the updates. I use B* often... more for military and weather applications... but as soon as the snow melts I will be geocaching.
    03-31-09 06:26 PM
    I gotta make a post on the new page. Now if I could just think of something worthy to say to have someone quote me and make it easier for me to find. OH WELL... Great app and keep up the updates. I use B* often... more for military and weather applications... but as soon as the snow melts I will be geocaching.
    You could also use B* to find your Pearl you buried beneath the streets

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 07:34 PM
    You could also use B* to find your Pearl you buried beneath the streets

Hum... I don't know if that was a slam or a help. If only....
    04-03-09 07:25 PM
    Hum... I don't know if that was a slam or a help. If only....
    LOL. I am always trying to be helpful

04-04-09 07:28 AM
    Hi cook46933,

first of all: thanks again for this amazing app!
    Can you please explain, whats the problem with the arrow to rotate? Sometimes the dam thing doesn't rotate. That is verry annoing. I have to switch between landscape and portrait all the time to get a hint which direction to go. this switchn seems to force a new draw. another time like today it works much better. But I would like if the arrow moves much faster. I would rather accept a short miscalculation insteat of a non moving arrow. Is that something you have influence on?
    btw I�m using a Storm 9500

thanks again for your effort
    04-05-09 03:43 PM
    Hi cook46933,

first of all: thanks again for this amazing app!
    Can you please explain, whats the problem with the arrow to rotate? Sometimes the dam thing doesn't rotate. That is verry annoing. I have to switch between landscape and portrait all the time to get a hint which direction to go. this switchn seems to force a new draw. another time like today it works much better. But I would like if the arrow moves much faster. I would rather accept a short miscalculation insteat of a non moving arrow. Is that something you have influence on?
    btw I�m using a Storm 9500

thanks again for your effort
    Actually, Daniel has a fix that is in beta right now. The problem is the screen was not realizing it needed to redraw the image. It seemed to be a much bigger problem on the Storm that on other BB models.

If you want to get in on the beta check forums at BlackStar Navigation

Specifically, the support forum thread for compass tracking:
    BlackStar Navigation View topic - compass tracking
    04-05-09 04:29 PM
    Does this have the ability to record a track for later use in Google Earth?
    04-12-09 05:50 AM
    I hear you can creat apps for the Storm. I was wondering if there was a way to make a Snellen Eye chart (to test your vision as in the Doctor's office) to be used for the Blackberry? Thanks
    04-13-09 10:42 AM
    Does this have the ability to record a track for later use in Google Earth?
    Not in the current version. But the next full release will have it.
    04-13-09 06:45 PM
    I hear you can creat apps for the Storm. I was wondering if there was a way to make a Snellen Eye chart (to test your vision as in the Doctor's office) to be used for the Blackberry? Thanks
    I can't see why that would be a problem. But I don't have any time right now to start a new app. I would recommend you post this out on the developers forum. There are always developers there looking for new ideas.
    04-13-09 06:47 PM
    Can't wait!

04-18-09 08:13 PM
    Any update on when next version will be released. Great App!!
    05-04-09 01:16 PM
    Not in the current version. But the next full release will have it.
    Now you're talking! DO WANT!

Look, my friends, here is one great app! I rode it home in the car last night and back to work today (26 mi). It tracked speed, position, altitude and heading pretty much flawlessly, considering how GPS can have an issue with altitude depending on the # of sat's and their positions.

With my Storm (on Verizon) it appears the position in my driveway matched Google Earth to at least 3-4 decimal places. Elevation, as I said, can be a little more sketchy, and it's tough to compare to Google Earth as the DEM is interpolated of course; but the river near my place is 682 ft and along the river I was getting with 20 ft of that. And at the equator, position accuracy to .0001 degree is 10 m, which I understand is the best single reading accuracy there is for consumer level GPS signals & hardware at the moment.

A bug I noticed was that the elevation was listed as negative, though the magnitude increased and decreased as they should - i.e. going up a hill went from -660 to -900, for instance.

I was also a little surprised that switching to Google Maps required that I have a destination defined. I thought it'd just show me my current position and continue, but hey, you're the writing code, for free yet!

The switch to weather worked well, but was very slow to load - could've been the network, though.

So yeah, I'd sure like Google Earth integration. I'd also like a digital display of my heading.

You know, the potential here is fantastic. With 8GB on the Storm, there's plenty of room for maps, etc - many handheld Garmins do with far less.

I don't geocache (yet), but I can't wait to figure out how to do the waypoints, destinations, etc. This app should be great just for insuring that you don't get lost taking a hike, or even getting you back to your car at the mall or amusement park.

Great going! The interface is clean and it does just what it's supposed to do. Looking forward to the next full release! Going out to the parking lot now for some play (location repeatability test) time!

Best,

(Not as) Grumpy Old Tom
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Tom; 05-05-09 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added distance/degree accuracy
    05-05-09 12:05 PM
    I have been using B* since the beginning, and I have noticed the altitude still doesnt display properly. Is this issue going to be fixed in the next release?
    05-05-09 12:11 PM
    Aw, it's probably just a string conversion thing. If that's the biggest problem this program has, we're sitting might pretty!
    05-05-09 12:30 PM
    So when can we expect the next release?

05-05-09 09:17 PM
    I have been using B* since the beginning, and I have noticed the altitude still doesnt display properly. Is this issue going to be fixed in the next release?
    The negative altitude is actually as OS bug. Not all OS versions are experiencing this problem. I know I have not seen it with my curve. We have it on the list to add an option to multiply it by -1, we just never got around to it yet.
    05-05-09 11:47 PM
    So when can we expect the next release?

I, personally have not done anything on this release, I have been lazy. Paul and Daniel have been doing all the work on this one. I will touch base with them and see where we are.
    05-05-09 11:54 PM
    I have a Blackberry Storm and I loaded this app and there is an error:

Uncaught Exception: pushmodalscreen called by a non-event thread.

Any ideas?
    05-07-09 03:01 AM
    I have a Blackberry Storm and I loaded this app and there is an error:

Uncaught Exception: pushmodalscreen called by a non-event thread.

Any ideas?
    Which version of BlackStar are you using? I thought we fixed all of those a couple releases ago. What were you doing at the time of the error? Which screen were you in?
    05-07-09 09:36 AM
152 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD