I know there were threads on here where some pretty seemingly knowledgeable folks were trying to root the PlayBook so they could put Android or whatever on it. The only success I know of was dingle berry took advantage, shortly, of a flaw in how BlackBerry verifies (or failed to actually) the validity of a backup during the restore process.

Playbook tablet OS is essentially the basis of BlackBerry 10.

Last I heard the folks trying gave up.

So yeah it might be possible. But anything might be possible. The fact that no ones knows how is the important thing.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, indeed. These guys ultimately gave up admitting that it can't be done. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7863663

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.2.1531
    southlander likes this.
    08-19-14 01:18 AM
    Yes, indeed. These guys ultimately gave up admitting that it can't be done. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7863663

Right. Or at least -- they don't know how. And neither does anyone else that's bothered -- far as we all know.
    08-19-14 03:57 PM
    All this talk about being "rooted" and I just thought it was a bunch of Aussie's talking.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:56 PM
    Love the Aussie's by the way!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:57 PM
    Love the Aussie's by the way!

Posted via CB10
    Shame, I'm British

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 06:44 PM

You mean they can't do it anymore. They did succeed at one point

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 06:44 PM
    I'm pretty unfamiliar with hacking technicalities. Is the ability or ease of rooting a device directly correlated with the ability or ease of a remote hacker to steal your information or corrupt your device? I've never rooted/jailbroken/or whatever any device. What is the relation between the ability to root your own device and someone else in the world hacking it? I'm pretty clueless on this.
    08-19-14 08:24 PM
    You mean they can't do it anymore. They did succeed at one point

Posted via CB10
    1. That was the PlayBook. Tablet OS. Not BlackBerry 10. But yeah it was sort of a big victory. BlackBerry took it very seriously.

2. The method they found would require the user to restore a hacked back up I think. So while it was a vulnerability it's not the same as being able to surf to some site on your phone and jailbreak it.

So yes they succeeded. On the tablet OS. Which was sort of like a beta test for BlackBerry 10 really.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 08:46 PM
    There is no comparison. BlackBerry is the winner and still champ. :-)

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 10:01 PM
    A house built on the sand will not stand...
    08-19-14 10:29 PM
    1. That was the PlayBook. Tablet OS. Not BlackBerry 10. But yeah it was sort of a big victory. BlackBerry took it very seriously.

2. The method they found would require the user to restore a hacked back up I think. So while it was a vulnerability it's not the same as being able to surf to some site on your phone and jailbreak it.

So yes they succeeded. On the tablet OS. Which was sort of like a beta test for BlackBerry 10 really.

Posted via CB10
    The point is, the Tablet OS was still based on QNX, the same as BlackBerry 10. My point is, there will be a way to root the BlackBerry 10 OS too

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 10:36 PM
    The point is, the Tablet OS was still based on QNX, the same as BlackBerry 10. My point is, there will be a way to root the BlackBerry 10 OS too

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps, but so far nobody has succeeded in rooting BlackBerry 10

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-19-14 11:43 PM
    Perhaps, but so far nobody has succeeded in rooting BlackBerry 10

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    I was never saying it has been done, but just merely it's possible. Supposedly, if no one has done it, then it's chalked up as, "it can't be done"

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:36 AM
    Every phone can be rooted in one form and another. The BlackBerry 10 devices CAN be rooted, so don't start the whole flaming that I'm wrong because I'm not. It's true that the BlackBerry 10 device is a little more secure that most Android devices and iOS devices. But they can be hack. They can be rooted. Everything can be. Blackphone is relatively new, they will patch this and it will be rooted again. Most likely it will take longer next time

Posted via CB10
    Listen technology is an evolving thing. Eventually any secure software can be cracked, period. The trick is staying on top of the game and being ahead of the curve and so far that is one area BlackBerry has done right! The bottom line is that Blackphone came on the scene claiming a lot of things and it fell short, period. I'm sure they'll go back to the drawing board and make security improvements, but again what makes a phone company successful in the secure communications market is constantly updating, exploring new secure technology and BlackBerry has managed to be the best at that.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and cristianoCR9 like this.
    08-20-14 08:00 AM
    I was never saying it has been done, but just merely it's possible. Supposedly, if no one has done it, then it's chalked up as, "it can't be done"

Posted via CB10
    Technically speaking, if you have enough time (say, a billion years) and the current world's fastest supercomputer (I heard the Chinese have it), eventually you can figure out the encryption key used by BlackBerry to encrypt its data and the key to sign a custom OS to run on BlackBerry 10 device, by way of brute-force. But that is merely for computing the data, if you include the process of recompiling the OS and installing it on a BlackBerry 10 hardware, it'd take much much longer:

Indeed it is true that "it can't be hacked" is false, however standing on the side of "possible" is the weakest position you can take: it is possible that Apple, Google and Microsoft are joining forces to oust BlackBerry so governments all over are forced to use NSA-backdoor-ed OS right from the US of A, no matter how small the possibility, doesn't mean it's not batsh** crazy

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    cristianoCR9 likes this.
    08-20-14 10:19 AM
    What is the "silent circle" thing in Blackphone? Anyone read on it?

On the video review, it was saying that the silent text app prevents the other person from taking a screen shot of the text screen?

It could be quite a useful feature.

While I will be sticking with my bb, I still think BlackBerry should be worried of the increasing competition in the security sector.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    08-20-14 11:21 AM
    You did hear they got rooted, right? Really quickly?
    If you get rooted really quickly don't you end up on some sort of offender register?
    08-20-14 12:14 PM
    What is the "silent circle" thing in Blackphone? Anyone read on it?

On the video review, it was saying that the silent text app prevents the other person from taking a screen shot of the text screen?

It could be quite a useful feature.

While I will be sticking with my bb, I still think BlackBerry should be worried of the increasing competition in the security sector.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Those all being apps that would work on BlackBerry. But yeah I guess there's nothing keeping you from taking a screenshot of a BBM protected chat. Might be something to try and add.
    08-20-14 09:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Being possible has no applicable meaning if no one actually achieves it. Otherwise it's theory.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:14 PM
    08-20-14 11:29 PM

Posted via CB10

First of all I want to say I respect your opinion on the matter (yes, you can sleep comfortably now knowing I respect your opinion) it's just that I don't understand and I'm trying to.

No one has rooted a BlackBerry so far, yet you claim it can be done. Now, how can you be so sure it can be done when all the evidence points to the opposite? It's not like we imagine or suppose people not being able to root it, it is a fact that no one has done it. What is it that makes you think and state with so much certainty it can be done?

Maybe one day someone will be able to root a BlackBerry but so far many have tried and none have succeeded. In my opinion it is safe to say that it can't be done, but again I'm trying to understand why are you so certain it is possible.
    raino and ArcPlug like this.
    08-20-14 11:34 PM
    First of all I want to say I respect your opinion on the matter (yes, you can sleep comfortably now knowing I respect your opinion) it's just that I don't understand and I'm trying to.

No one has rooted a BlackBerry so far, yet you claim it can be done. Now, how can you be so sure it can be done when all the evidence points to the opposite? It's not like we imagine or suppose people not being able to root it, it is a fact that no one has done it. What is it that makes you think and state with so much certainty it can be done?

Maybe one day someone will be able to root a BlackBerry but so far many have tried and none have succeeded. In my opinion it is safe to say that it can't be done, but again I'm trying to understand why are you so certain it is possible.
    Android is the best! IOS is better

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:46 PM
    I always liked how our phones just have a developer mode that can be turned on and off. Like webos in that way. No having to fuss with rooting or jailbreaking even needed.
    08-21-14 06:18 AM

I agree. After a certain amount of time, one must concede that it quite possibly can't be done. When all the evidence points that way, saying otherwise is just being stubborn.
    08-21-14 06:42 AM
74 123