This is what happens when you try to glue security on top of an inherently insecure mobile OS and attempt to market it as better than BlackBerry.

Bug in ultra secure BlackPhone let attackers decrypt texts, stalk users | Ars Technica
    01-28-15 09:57 AM
    If you read the article you would have noticed that the security flaw has nothing to do with the OS itself but with the messaging app. That means that an update to the app itself will solve this and has nothing to do with Android itself.
    01-28-15 10:04 AM
    We all knew this would happen lol.

It's.
    an.
    ANDROID.
    phone!

What were ANYONE to expect?

Now, if only they had backed in BlackBerry Balance into the OS... That could have maybe been a different story...

If you read the article you would have noticed that the security flaw has nothing to do with the OS itself but with the messaging app. That means that an update to the app itself will solve this and has nothing to do with Android itself.
    While I can agree with this assessment, we CANNOT ignore the fact that android has more holes than Google would like to admit. And the BlackPhone is running Android. So every security issue you see about Android automatically applies to BlackPhones. Point in case, the secure phone is not that secure at all.
    Martin Green likes this.
    01-28-15 10:04 AM
    There are a number of hardware and software solutions that are trying to provide what BlackBerry does for enterprise.... I think Secusmart may help BlackBerry a lot in the area of totally secure communications.
    01-28-15 10:06 AM
    I'm no fan of blackphone, but all systems are so complex these days, that nothing can ever be bullet-proof.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    diegonei likes this.
    01-28-15 10:07 AM
    While I can agree with this assessment, we CANNOT ignore the fact that android has more holes than Google would like to admit. And the BlackPhone is running Android. So every security issue you see about Android automatically applies to BlackPhones. Point in case, the secure phone is not that secure at all.
    Yes, I agree. But people should start reading the articles they post before making statements about the OS.

And it comes with a forked version of Android and as far as i know it doesn't have any google play services installed on it.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-28-15 10:13 AM
    The OS still comes from Google, but I see what you mean.

Glad to talk to people that debate the facts rather than the emotions behind them.
    01-28-15 10:47 AM
    "If you read the article you would have noticed that the security flaw has nothing to do with the OS itself but with the messaging app. That means that an update to the app itself will solve this and has nothing to do with Android itself."

And if you knew anything about BlackBerry devices you would know that secure communications is built into the OS. BlackBerry Messenger is just the pretty front end for secure APIs that have yet to be compromised. Why do you think that BlackBerry is the ONLY handset the President of the United States is allowed to carry?

PS. If you had read MY post properly you would acknowledge that I never claimed this was an Android OS fault. I said (with emphasis added) "This is what happens when you try to glue security on top of an inherently insecure mobile OS". My point is that when the underlying OS is secure, it is less likely for a poorly written app to compromise the safety that your device ostensibly exists to provide.
    Last edited by Martin Green; 01-28-15 at 12:31 PM.
    01-28-15 11:43 AM
    "But people should start reading the articles they post before making statements about the OS"

I read the article in its entirety, thank you. I'm a BlackBerry 10 native app developer. There are features baked right into the OS that take advantage of superior security and encryption at the hardware and OS level. Make excuses for Android-derived devices all you want, but it doesn't alter the fact that trying to secure an app on an OS that wasn't built from the ground up for security is an exercise in futility.
    01-28-15 11:47 AM
    Blackphone has fixed this issue and all the android apologists out there will continue on as if nothing happened to the "most secure" android phone. Security is a concern on every platform, and to date nobody has done it as well as BlackBerry. Regardless of what people will say, there is an advantage to having a company design the hardware, the OS and the secure apps in terms of security implementation.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 02:19 PM
    Blackphone

Attachment 330719
    Attached Thumbnails BlackPhone: not so secure...-images-2-.jpg  
    01-30-15 02:43 PM
    They are trying to monetize the app in question (Silent Text) by selling it to other Android users and by offering an iOS version. Blackphone itself is a joint venture with the app devs (Silent Circle) so this flaw most certainly involves them.
    01-30-15 03:49 PM