07-28-08 08:17 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm with Verizon, so it looks like I may be Thunder -bound, if the Bold is not available.

Is a Blackberry practicle (cost aside) for a non-business user. That is I really wont be using it like "business men" do.

I'm an x-ray tech with a lot of spare time on my hands. I'm on the road alot and like to 'play', so I am really looking forward to 3g, 4g, lte or whatever. GPS or Google maps, Yahoo email, Gmail, and internet surfing will be my main usage. Of course I like to Google all day long, too. I guess since it is capable, I'll also load some songs and movies and tv shows on occasion. Maybe some calendar stuff, but not really much, and not much with documents either. Maybe shopping lists and notes.

Basically like a handheld, portable computer

Is there a better use of my money, or will I not regret getting a Thunder?

EDIT - update, I tried the Curve and I found the tiny keys hard to use efficiently, so the thunder may be better for me anyway

Edit:
    Last edited by hal1; 07-29-08 at 08:28 AM. Reason: tested curve
    07-27-08 10:22 PM
    I think it can be practical for someone who isnt going to use it for business.
    Especially if you would like the features and you know you will use it why not?
    There are plenty of people on here Im sure that dont use it for work purposes but have it so if they go away they have the internet and can check their email.
    07-27-08 10:30 PM
    I am not a business user and I love my berry. I have a pearl but will most likely get the thunder when it comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 10:31 PM
    Can't speak for the thunder but I have a curve and had an 8830. Blackberry's go both ways great for reg customers as well as the business side. So I'd say you won't go wrong getting a berry. I don't like touch screen so I'm not able to say anything as far as the thunder goes. but i'm sure you'll enjoy the blackberry and find it fits your life in many aspects.
    07-27-08 10:32 PM
    is it practical for non business people ? ofcourse
    I use mine all the time, it is much more practical than carrying a laptop with you 24 x 7
    07-27-08 10:40 PM
    I don't use mine for business, although I did inherit it from my past employer (where I did use it for work purposes).
    07-27-08 10:45 PM
    I do not use my curve for business. I use it for personal use and love it. I would reccomend it due to the features u want. I don't think u would regret getting the thunder or any bb. RIM really does make some wonderful devices.

07-27-08 10:49 PM
    I just got my first blackberry and I'm currently a college student. I love it. But I'm like OCD a little and have to have everything organized. Plus everything is with you all the time. With Verizon though, watch out for the crippled GPS. it will cost you $10 a month to use their GPS service, no work around that I know of.
    07-27-08 10:49 PM
    I am not a "buisness person" but I use it all the time. I keep my calendar, all my contacts, many "notes" I make through out the day and for those spur of the moment pictures I want to take. Forgot to mention the music I have downloaded. I have added many 3rd party apps to personalize it.

I can't imagine living without it...kinda scary. In a good way
    07-27-08 10:56 PM
    Is it practical? Hard for any of us to make that choice for you. Depends on how you'll put it to use. By the sounds of it, there are several ways having a BB would benefit you. So you have to decide if its practical, but it definitely sounds like you'll get your use of it.
    From my point of view, I have no business need for a Blackberry, but its constantly used regardless. I think anyone who a) already carries a cel phone constantly, b) is computer savvy, and c) likes having information and entertainment always at their fingertips will definitely not regret having a BB. Hope that helps you decide.
    07-27-08 11:01 PM
    With Verizon though, watch out for the crippled GPS. it will cost you $10 a month to use their GPS service, no work around that I know of.
    I could live with google maps. If I have an unlimited data package, wouldn't that be an option?
    07-27-08 11:05 PM
    I am a stay at home mom, and I love having the blackberry. Since I am almost always taking one of my children somewhere, and I love having something to do while I am waiting at practices, or school carpool or doctor appointments. Sometimes I feel guilty about the cost, but I'm worth it, so it's all good.
    07-27-08 11:22 PM
    I think you have enough evidence already, but what is one more?? I actually do use mine for work and if they took it away today I would be getting a personal one ASAP. I use it just as much for my personal life. (Even while at work )

I know it isn't cheap but I know you'll be happy with one, Good Luck!!

07-27-08 11:58 PM
    My BB is strictly for personal use. I had a Pearl then a Curve, and I'll never go back to a regular cell phone. Email and internet on the go, fantastic for texting, calendar keeps me from forgetting appointments, alarm gets me out of bed on time, camera for those things you just need photo evidence of. I love my BB. Its made every aspect of my life from being a social butterfly to staying organized easier.

07-28-08 02:31 AM
    I don't use mine for business either, but I am using the heck out my curve. It has opened a whole new way of getting and using information. I don't know what I did without it.

07-28-08 02:40 AM
    I'll never go back to a regular phone (unless I break my berry and have to wait for a replacement lmao). Its all about preference and choice. I personally love my curve and wouldn't be caught dead without it.
    I think you've already done your research so you'll probably be very happy with a blackberry

07-28-08 02:43 AM
    Consider a BB as a great means of keeping your finger on the pulse of your everyday life. If you can afford the cost of having a BB, then by all means get yourself one.
    As to the Bold coming to Verizon, I'll strongly suggest, that you be patient because the Bold will be coming to Verizon sooner than most people think. I can't verify this, but I'm told by a trusted source that the Bold will be at various stores for the tech support people to get some hands on time with the bold.

07-28-08 02:53 AM
    You can't really go wrong with the blackberry. But, if push email and texting isn't too important, why not get the Iphone? In terms of multimedia and web surfing, I think Iphone has a slight edge over BB.

07-28-08 05:14 AM
    Don't see why not. My primary use of my Curve 8310 is to keep in touch with friends and family using SMS. Due to the excellent and easy to use keyboard and interface of the Curve it makes it much easier and faster for SMS'ing than any phone I have owned previously.
    07-28-08 06:58 AM
    Get A BlackBerry. It Is well worth it and seems to be what you are looking for. You will Regret getting the Thunder
    07-28-08 08:04 AM
    I use my bb for personal use and LOVE it!!!
    07-28-08 08:23 AM
    Also not a business user and I and completely addicted to it.

07-28-08 08:38 AM
    Of Course! There are many other uses for Berries besides business!

BlackBerries are amazing business tools but are solid in regards to other areas as well!
    07-28-08 08:39 AM
    You will Regret getting the Thunder

Umm... why?! http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bla...highlight=9500
    07-28-08 08:40 AM
    As to the Bold coming to Verizon, I'll strongly suggest, that you be patient because the Bold will be coming to Verizon sooner than most people think.
    Wish we knew this for sure and a better release date.
    07-28-08 09:05 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD