RIM's market strategy should be to go after the individual. Show that they understand that there is no one perfect phone or platform for everyone. People make fun at the number of BlackBerry phones that RIM makes, in the different form factors. They make fun of the flip, can't understand why someone would want the Pearl.

Everyone is racing towards having a large rectangular phone because that is what the market is clamoring for. But what about the individual who loves their physical keyboard, what about the individual who would prefer to keep their phone as a communication device?

The thing is, not to trash your competition. Just prove that you are viable alternative. I honestly believe that if you have valid reasons why someone should use your product, other than it is what everyone is using or it is trendy now, you can succeed and survive.
    They need to create the perfect CONSUMER usage case for a BlackBerry, then build on that.
    Palm thought they could appeal to the masses with a keyboard. Now when you type the URL www palm com it takes you to HP.
    HP thought they could do better and introduced not one but three keyboard devices. All went EOL in less than two months.
    With overwhelming evidence in sales of slabs you are still preaching keyboard. That seems an to indicate a failure to understand consumers, which your post indicates RIM should target.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

They should extend their Be Bold slogan to Be Bold, Be You.
    HP had a slogan for Webos: Everybody On. Now everybody's off.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-16-12 at 09:12 AM.
    02-16-12 09:08 AM
    Palm thought they could appeal to the masses with a keyboard. Now when you type the URL www palm com it takes you to HP.
    HP thought they could do better and introduced not one but three keyboard devices. All went EOL in less than two months.
    With overwhelming evidence in sales of slabs you are still preaching keyboard. That seems an to indicate a failure to understand consumers, which your post indicates RIM should target.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

HP had a slogan for Webos: Everybody On. Now everybody's off.
    Maybe i was not clear enough. I believe that RIM should show that there is no ONE device that will suit everyone, you have to make compromises, you have to choose what is more important to you. If RIM could produce different form factors with the same experience and make it easy for Devs to makes apps for the platform, they can succeed.

The competition is making the large screen devices and soon all smartphones are going to look like that. I am not saying that RIM should only make keyboard phones, what I am saying is this: there is no perfect phone but there is a phone perfect for you. RIM should show people that it is ok to have a phone that is different from your next door neighbour because you are different.

Be Bold is not just for the Bold line, it is for BlackBerry period.
    02-16-12 10:38 AM
    They need, at most, 3 devices.

All touch slab
    Touch + QWERTY keyboard
    Slider (either landscape or portrait)

They could also bring it down to just the first two if they wanted.
    02-16-12 10:42 AM

All touch slab
    Touch + QWERTY keyboard

I agree. To think that there is only a market for all touch phones is ridiculous because people still buy BlackBerry for the keyboard.
    02-16-12 10:59 AM

All touch slab
    Touch + QWERTY keyboard

That might be ok for N.A. and possibly much of Europe but some of the emerging market countries still need affordable BB's and frankly so do my kids until they start paying for their own.
    02-16-12 11:00 AM
    As much as I dislike iPhones/iPads.

They're never going to catch Apple in the US. Apple is a US company, it's as simple as that. They've got there hooks in and they're never coming out, especially in this day and age...
    02-16-12 03:47 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD