Time for RIM to start with heavy marketing that shows Blackberries as being cool and iphones as being uncool. Samsung has already started as Apple continues to get Samsunged with their marketing.

Here is a great article on why the time is ripe now,

Why iPhone Users Are Not �Cool�
    Posted by Jakomi Mathews

February 13, 2012

Why iPhone Users Are Not �Cool� | THE MUSiC VOiD

Since the 80�s, Apple as a brand has pushed the idea that using their products is �cool & individualistic� � if you used an Apple product you were rebelling against the status quo. But does that stand true today? TMV believes not. The sad fact is that Apple has become the status quo it fought hard against in the 80�s and the early naughties. Whilst some of its products have pushed innovation boundaries including the iPod, iPhone and iPad what is cool about being dictated to?

It is ironic that Apple ran its infamous �1984� television advertisement which was a clear attempt at pushing the image of being anti control. It did so by portraying anyone who did not use its products as being controlled by �big brother� al la dumb, stupid whatever insult you care to use. It was a great tactic that enabled Apple to position its brand as the real individuals computer of choice. Yet the oxymoron of the 21st century is that using an iPhone or iPad is preserving the �status quo� that Apple was so supposedly so against.

TMV first asks what is so �cool� about being controlled � which is exactly the case with all Apple products since the early 21st century. As an Apple user you are LOCKED-IN to their ecosystem. These days you cannot take the battery out of an iPod, iPhone or an Apple laptop. What is cool about that? Every other competitor product on the market allows you carry a spare battery, which you can replace at your leisure. In terms of portability it is essential that as a businessperson or staff member you have the ability to insert a new battery � no iPhone last 12 hours without a charge. Not what could be termed �mobile� in anyone�s book?

TMV have spoken with very senior sources involved with Foxconn�s contracting and we�ve heard that the iPhone uses the cheapest and lowest quality components inside its shell in comparison to its key competitors. As far as TMV is aware the only quality components are the Samsung screens and processors in the iPhone and iPad products. For example it costs Apple including labour, parts and shipping a total of just over $25 USD to make and deliver each iPhone anywhere in the world. Whereas a Samsung Galaxy 2S costs around $59 USD because it uses higher quality components according to the sources we spoke with � yet retails for half the price of the iPhone.

Is it cool to be so blatantly ripped off? Perhaps it is for those with more money than sense (pun intended) � consumerist clones who think it is cool to be the same as everybody else. TMV asks what is cool about being a controlled clone?

The key argument why the iPhone is �uncool� is quite simply the fact you have one new model a year. What is a) innovative about that; and b) individualistic? If anything it just means as an iPhone user you have become a clone.

Yes iPhone users are a dime a dozen � what is so cool and individualistic about that? Having the same phone as everybody else just signifies that you�ve brought into the marketing, which pushes a fallacy. Being a �clone� is most definitely not cool.

Coming full circle the brand Apple, which used to mock users of competing products as �clones� has built its own business on controlling its customers and treating them as clones. The irony is actually quite scary. In 2012 using an iPhone basically signifies you have become part of the status quo. Ironically there are more than 250 million of these uncool clones who have brought into the Apple is �cool� marketing garbage.

So on your next commute to work ask the first person who pulls out their iPhone what is so cool about having the same phone as the person next to them? Then ask them how does the iPhone make them creative and individualistic? It will be interesting to hear about the responses you receive�
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 02-13-12 at 04:37 AM.
    02-13-12 04:30 AM
    Owning a smart/phone doesn't make anybody cool. Just my thoughts. I don't think i'm cool at all when I have a blackberry, or when I had a windows mobile device, or a flipphone.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-13-12 06:57 AM
    . For example it costs Apple including labour, parts and shipping a total of just over $25 USD to make and deliver each iPhone anywhere in the world.
    Yeah, that's a great article. Wrong on all counts, but great.

iPhone 4s BOM. $188 (materials only 16gb).

iPhone 4s BOM. $207 (materials only 32gb).

iPhone 4s BOM. $245 (materials only 64gb).

If they can be this wrong on one simple, easily verifiable aspect the rest of the article loses all credibility immediately.

The entire argument is flawed for another simple reason, an unpopular device won't sell. If a device becomes popular and does sell their same argument will then apply to that device. Morons.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-13-12 at 12:27 PM.
    02-13-12 07:47 AM
    IMO there is no doubt that the $25USD is wrong..it simply feels wrong, however, given that was an unsubstantiated, guessed, estimated, rumoured or imagined price then that is exactly what your figures are also.. What they are NOT is facts, only Apple knows the true costs of its devices

Yeah, that's a great article. Wrong on all counts, but great.

iPhone 4s BOM. $188 (materials only 16gb).

iPhone 4s BOM. $207 (materials only 32gb).

iPhone 4s BOM. $245 (materials only 64gb).

If they can be this wrong on one simple, easily verifyable aspect the rest of the article loses all credibility immediately.

The entire argument is flawed for another simple reason, an unpopular device won't sell. If a device becomes popular and does sell their same argument will then apply to that device. Morons.

02-13-12 08:15 AM
    IMO there is no doubt that the $25USD is wrong..it simply feels wrong, however, given that was an unsubstantiated, guessed, estimated, rumoured or imagined price then that is exactly what your figures are also.. What they are NOT is facts, only Apple knows the true costs of its devices
    Sure, isuppli numbers are an estimate but i'll guarantee they're closer than the number TMV got from the "very senior sources" they supposedly contacted.

Btw, never said it was a fact, rather easily verifiable.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-13-12 at 08:22 AM.
    02-13-12 08:18 AM
    As someone who owns his own business, I have to do a lot of selling and one thing I have noticed is that it is never good form to trash your competition. One should just remain silent and even acknowledge the strong points if there are any, but never trash them.
    Sends a wrong message to your prospective customer. Also seems like a hard sell.

Always better to talk about your own product and show its strengths rather than talk bad about the competition's product.
    02-13-12 08:36 AM
    Yeah, the reason I got an iPhone is only about being cool. It has nothing to do with the fact it is a better tool to manage my business and make me more productive.

When RIM builds a better product with features that are equal to or better than the iPhone, users will begin to reconsider. Until then, people will continue to choose Android and iOS.

Bottom line, Blackberry can market until they exhaust all their cash and become the coolest phone on the planet, I will not be buying one if it does not have key features my iPhone does.
    02-13-12 09:53 AM
    Time for RIM to start with heavy marketing that shows Blackberries as being cool and iphones as being uncool. Samsung has already started as Apple continues to get Samsunged with their marketing.
    How come no one thought of this before? It's so obvious! Just say you're cool and the other guy isn't, and boom! Huge sales! I mean, it worked for WP7!
    02-13-12 10:02 AM
    Yeah, the reason I got an iPhone is only about being cool. It has nothing to do with the fact it is a better tool to manage my business and make me more productive.

When RIM builds a better product with features that are equal to or better than the iPhone, users will begin to reconsider. Until then, people will continue to choose Android and iOS.

Bottom line, Blackberry can market until they exhaust all their cash and become the coolest phone on the planet, I will not be buying one if it does not have key features my iPhone does.
    A better tool for you ...nothing wrong with that. BB is the better tool for me and still many others.
    RIM does have some features that are equal to and/or better and so do iOS and droid.
    02-13-12 10:16 AM
    How come no one thought of this before? It's so obvious! Just say you're cool and the other guy isn't, and boom! Huge sales! I mean, it worked for WP7!
    The op misses a very important point. Samsung is NOT downing Apple. The ads aren't saying there's anything wrong with the upcoming iPhone or the new features. Samsung shows they already have those same features, so people don't need to wait for them.
    Blacklatino and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-13-12 10:29 AM

Here is a great article on why the time is ripe now,

Why iPhone Users Are Not �Cool�
    Posted by Jakomi Mathews

February 13, 2012

Why iPhone Users Are Not �Cool� | THE MUSiC VOiD

Since the 80�s, Apple as a brand has pushed the idea that using their products is �cool & individualistic� � if you used an Apple product you were rebelling against the status quo. But does that stand true today? TMV believes not. The sad fact is that Apple has become the status quo it fought hard against in the 80�s and the early naughties. Whilst some of its products have pushed innovation boundaries including the iPod, iPhone and iPad what is cool about being dictated to?

It is ironic that Apple ran its infamous �1984� television advertisement which was a clear attempt at pushing the image of being anti control. It did so by portraying anyone who did not use its products as being controlled by �big brother� al la dumb, stupid whatever insult you care to use. It was a great tactic that enabled Apple to position its brand as the real individuals computer of choice. Yet the oxymoron of the 21st century is that using an iPhone or iPad is preserving the �status quo� that Apple was so supposedly so against.

TMV first asks what is so �cool� about being controlled � which is exactly the case with all Apple products since the early 21st century. As an Apple user you are LOCKED-IN to their ecosystem. These days you cannot take the battery out of an iPod, iPhone or an Apple laptop. What is cool about that? Every other competitor product on the market allows you carry a spare battery, which you can replace at your leisure. In terms of portability it is essential that as a businessperson or staff member you have the ability to insert a new battery � no iPhone last 12 hours without a charge. Not what could be termed �mobile� in anyone�s book?

TMV have spoken with very senior sources involved with Foxconn�s contracting and we�ve heard that the iPhone uses the cheapest and lowest quality components inside its shell in comparison to its key competitors. As far as TMV is aware the only quality components are the Samsung screens and processors in the iPhone and iPad products. For example it costs Apple including labour, parts and shipping a total of just over $25 USD to make and deliver each iPhone anywhere in the world. Whereas a Samsung Galaxy 2S costs around $59 USD because it uses higher quality components according to the sources we spoke with � yet retails for half the price of the iPhone.

Is it cool to be so blatantly ripped off? Perhaps it is for those with more money than sense (pun intended) � consumerist clones who think it is cool to be the same as everybody else. TMV asks what is cool about being a controlled clone?

The key argument why the iPhone is �uncool� is quite simply the fact you have one new model a year. What is a) innovative about that; and b) individualistic? If anything it just means as an iPhone user you have become a clone.

Yes iPhone users are a dime a dozen � what is so cool and individualistic about that? Having the same phone as everybody else just signifies that you�ve brought into the marketing, which pushes a fallacy. Being a �clone� is most definitely not cool.

Coming full circle the brand Apple, which used to mock users of competing products as �clones� has built its own business on controlling its customers and treating them as clones. The irony is actually quite scary. In 2012 using an iPhone basically signifies you have become part of the status quo. Ironically there are more than 250 million of these uncool clones who have brought into the Apple is �cool� marketing garbage.

So on your next commute to work ask the first person who pulls out their iPhone what is so cool about having the same phone as the person next to them? Then ask them how does the iPhone make them creative and individualistic? It will be interesting to hear about the responses you receive�
    True. Having something like a smartphone doesn't necessarily make you cool but having something like an iphone can definitely make you uncool.
    02-13-12 10:45 AM
    True. Having something like a smartphone doesn't necessarily make you cool but having something like an iphone can definitely make you uncool.
    Some of my friend have iPhones and I think they are cool. It's got nothing to do with there phone choice though.
    02-13-12 10:47 AM
    All my friends with iphones are jerks. Oh wait I don't have any friends that own an iphone, guess I'm not cool. I think I can live with that.
    02-13-12 10:51 AM
    If owning a device is the deciding factor on wether you are cool or not, than the person has problems. If the phone makes you cool/uncool than the rest of your characteristics must really suck (not you, just a generalization).
    02-13-12 10:51 AM
    A better tool for you ...nothing wrong with that. BB is the better tool for me and still many others.
    RIM does have some features that are equal to and/or better and so do iOS and droid.
    Why do we have to keep repeating this? Is owning a birth right reserved for th first born or something. How can they not understand we choose a blackberry?
    02-13-12 10:55 AM
    Why do we have to keep repeating this? Is owning a birth right reserved for th first born or something. How can they not understand we choose a blackberry?
    Threads like this are intended to spur discussion and opinion. People have different views. Just accept it. What works for you doesn't work for everyone.

GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    02-13-12 11:04 AM
    The op misses a very important point. Samsung is NOT downing Apple. The ads aren't saying there's anything wrong with the upcoming iPhone or the new features. Samsung shows they already have those same features, so people don't need to wait for them.
    It is tbe sensitive nature of iphone owners that gives them the prespective that everything said is belittleing iphones.
    I offended someone the other day by something I said about myself working an iphone. Boy they don't hesitate to talk smack about a blackberry or rim though.
    02-13-12 11:51 AM
    It is tbe sensitive nature of iphone owners that gives them the prespective that everything said is belittleing iphones.
    I offended someone the other day by something I said about myself working an iphone. Boy they don't hesitate to talk smack about a blackberry or rim though.
    Not all iPhone owners are fanboys and they don't even give a crap about anything RIM or the smartphone field. Only fanboys will go out of their way to belittle your device if they feel threatened.
    Laura Knotek and Blacklatino like this.
    02-13-12 11:58 AM
    Nope. If you look at the op's creds, he apparently owns one of each. And, if you actually read what the op wrote, he's suggesting that Samsung's approach could work for Blackberry. Which may in part be true. But the op seemed to take it as Samsung saying they were better. As someone else in the thread pointed out, except for politics, negative marketing usually backfires. I was merely pointing out that Samsung was very positive about the features. Then even more positive about the fact that buying a Samsung eliminated having to wait for those same features.
    02-13-12 11:59 AM
    Not all iPhone owners are fanboys and they don't even give a crap about anything RIM or the smartphone field. Only fanboys will go out of their way to belittle your device if they feel threatened.
    I agree with that. I some buddies that are fanboys of everything apple. They down to earth. We give each a hard time but that's all it is. If it isn't about our phones it would be about boots, tractors, or even bulls that we're breeding.
    Kraski, thanks for pointing that out. I looked right over the point.
    02-13-12 03:53 PM
    Threads like this are intended to spur discussion and opinion. People have different views. Just accept it. What works for you doesn't work for everyone.

Not the thread I questioned. The question was directed to the post I quoted. Which I agree with the statement. Why is it blackberry users is suppose to accept "everything doesn't work for everybody" when the apple fans don't? I mean come on. There is more backberry bashing allowed in this blackberry forum then there ever will be for apple.
    02-13-12 04:00 PM
    I agree with that. I some buddies that are fanboys of everything apple. They down to earth. We give each a hard time but that's all it is. If it isn't about our phones it would be about boots, tractors, or even bulls that we're breeding.
    You mean I'm not alone at missing things? The worst part is that, in a forum, there's no body language. So, way too much stuff gets taken too negatively.
    02-13-12 04:01 PM
    Yep, this is another Apple vs RIM thread.
    I have had an iPhone and fail to see how it is a more productive device than a BB, not to mention the one thing it excels at is video gaming (and there are some damn good ones out there.) That's just my take from having carried one.

At any rate, something so individual and personal will never be decided on a forum. Is the point of this kind of thread to log on and hope to influence someone all Apple to say something like "wow was I wrong! You've proven what an ignorant child I am and I thought my iPhone made me elite, but you've made me realize how superior your BlackBerry and how grownup you all are instead!" Such accusations are what seem to be made against Apple folk in these kind of threads, so is the aim to "break" them?

If this is not the goal, directly or indirectly, what is the point of argument? I don't see much value in belittling people over their smartphone love, but also in all fairness, I don't feel iPhone or Android purists have much reason to be 'here' either. Assuming CrackBerry truly is meant for BlackBerry enthusiasts, fanboys, ardent lovers, etc. At which point, why wouldn't they be spending time talking to people on sites geared directly towards them instead of one that is absolutely not?
    Last edited by BitPusher2600; 02-13-12 at 04:18 PM.
    momofteme, Kevstra and fanatical like this.
    02-13-12 04:15 PM
    Owning a smart/phone doesn't make anybody cool. Just my thoughts. I don't think i'm cool at all when I have a blackberry, or when I had a windows mobile device, or a flipphone.

Cool is relative to your circle,

it was cool to have ANY car when you are 16, but by 25 the cool factor was dependent on the Car you had.

it was cool to have ANY cellphone in the 90's by 2005 cellphones became more common place,

I never was in a circle that found Apple products to be cool, or rebellious as the article said, though I did know a few people who were very elitist about the fact that they used a Macintosh Computer, not an IBM Compatible.

I can agree with the Article on the point that Apple is no longer the underdog to root for, though as a company they still manage to be treated like it. decades of being the underdog, keeps people thinking about you in that limelight.
    undone likes this.
    02-13-12 04:33 PM
    No doubt. I have a friend who doesn't stop talking about the NY Jets.
    02-13-12 04:36 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD