I remember a thread or a question tackling the topic "What would BlackBerry do if the software business were to be a success"
    I don't remember actually perusing the thread,
    So,
    Let's assume BBs debts were the thing of the past, now BlackBerry has a great cash flow.
    What would BlackBerry do actually,? would "he" excecute/run both the software and hardware business?
    Or is it a matter of choice, that is, it would be up to "him" to decide?
    04-07-17 02:37 AM
    If blackberry actually sold phone software successfully, and TCLs BB phones were a success, Blackberry would presumably have to wait until the license ran out, to use their own name again for hardware?

IDK, depends on the contract.
    04-07-17 04:22 AM
    There is no money in hardware - never was. Software and services provide the profits. BlackBerry is better off with its current licencing model.
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    04-07-17 05:56 AM
    There is no money in hardware - never was. Software and services provide the profits. BlackBerry is better off with its current licencing model.
    What do you mean by there is no money in hardware?
    04-07-17 06:26 AM
    I think what he meant is margins are very very tight in the hardware business. I guess the exception to this is in the very high end of the market.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 06:41 AM
    For BlackBerry, the profits were always in BIS monthly revenue with consumers and BES/MDM licenses with enterprise. Both are software revenue based.

Other than Apple/IOS and level one Google/Android manufacturers, hardware is and has not been profitable.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    04-07-17 06:53 AM
    For BlackBerry, the profits were always in BIS monthly revenue with consumers and BES/MDM licenses with enterprise. Both are software revenue based.

Other than Apple/IOS and level one Google/Android manufacturers, hardware is and has not been profitable.

Posted via CB10
    I get it now, i guess the licensing deal of software is the ideal way to go for Research In Motion.
    04-07-17 07:14 AM
    I think what he meant is margins are very very tight in the hardware business. I guess the exception to this is in the very high end of the market.

Posted via CB10
    Did you mean here that, RIM could have a chance in the high end market?
    04-07-17 07:21 AM
    RIM no longer exists. Name was changed to BlackBerry few years ago. No BlackBerry doesn't have any chance as they are no longer in hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-07-17 07:22 AM
    RIM no longer exists. Name was changed to BlackBerry few years ago

Posted via CB10
    I know but it doesn't hurt to use the companies former name right? =]
    04-07-17 07:43 AM
    I think BlackBerry tried that approach and failed, but that is maybe because the devices were never truly high end (spec wise). My original comment was more general. The devices business is extremely tough.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 07:55 AM
    I hear that..
    04-07-17 08:00 AM
    Based on how poorly the Priv did at $700, I would say absolutely not. Few people are going to pay Iphone/Galaxy prices for anything with "Blackberry" branded onto it.

The licensing deal is the way to go. It minimizes overhead as well as potential loss. I see almost zero chance they will ever go back into making their own hardware again.
    04-07-17 08:02 AM
    If blackberry actually sold phone software successfully, and TCLs BB phones were a success, Blackberry would presumably have to wait until the license ran out, to use their own name again for hardware?
    If TCL makes a good profit, BlackBerry can ask for a larger royalty when the contract expires. They may even entertain bids from other makers. BlackBerry has the potential to earn revenue while assuming little risk. Seems like a good business model to me.
    04-07-17 10:14 AM
    I thought Blackberry didn't have any debts? At least that's what I thought I read a couple years ago?
    FF22 likes this.
    04-07-17 07:28 PM
    I thought Blackberry didn't have any debts? At least that's what I thought I read a couple years ago?
    BlackBerry debt are the notes issued and sold to Fairfax - Prem...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 09:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I remember being concerned about Fairfax because they were known for breaking up a company and selling it off piece by piece and basically destroying it.

But before they got involved with fairfax I thought they were debt free, oh well.
    04-07-17 10:01 PM
    And what is the "successful" software that BlackBerry sells that makes money and has everyone dying to have it?

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-07-17 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is the article that I think I must've read in 2013 it talks about BlackBerry having no "long-term debt" and they were very hesitant to get involved with Fairfax, or so it seems.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...nys-future/amp
    04-07-17 10:08 PM
    And what is the "successful" software that BlackBerry sells that makes money and has everyone dying to have it?

Posted via CB10
    Supposedly it's in about 75% of every automobile on the planet, but it's not widely advertised at all if any.
    04-07-17 10:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Secure, QNX Auto, BlackBerry Radar, SecureSmart, AtHoc.
    04-07-17 11:15 PM
    Supposedly it's in about 75% of every automobile on the planet, but it's not widely advertised at all if any.
    But that is pre-chen and brings hardly any revenue!

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-07-17 11:53 PM
    BlackBerry Secure, QNX Auto, BlackBerry Radar, SecureSmart, AtHoc.
    Secusmart is an acquisition, just like AdHoc.
    None are making lots of money or are the dominant, number 1 products in their category.

QNX automotive predates Chen and brings hardly any revenue.
    So, yes, if you give it out for free, kind of like Google does with their data mining apps and android, you get a large number of users.
    However, Google makes its money from the data mining that it gains by handing out free software.
    BlackBerry doesn't do that, hence giving out QNX for free and putting it in 60 million cars, brings almost nothing...

Radar is a new product. I doubt it has 100,000 customers.

Nothing to brag about compared to what BlackBerry used to be.
    That's why most people don't know that BlackBerry still exists.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 12:01 AM
    But that is pre-chen and brings hardly any revenue!

Posted via CB10
    I think you need to read this…

https://amp.businessinsider.com/blac...ugh-qnx-2017-1
    04-08-17 12:12 AM
    This is the article that I think I must've read in 2013 it talks about BlackBerry having no "long-term debt" and they were very hesitant to get involved with Fairfax, or so it seems.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...nys-future/amp
    Good article. It's good to remind all Chen fans here that BlackBerry had more cash in November 2013, and no debt, than it has now.
    Even after laying off thousands of employees and shutting down all hardware and most software development (bb10 was true software development, android apps, not so much, not in the same category).

That's Chen's accomplishment.

Had he told anyone in November 2013 that 3.5 years later the company's revenue would be 10 times smaller and the cash reserves depleted, nobody on this website would have considered that a wise choice for a CEO.

Chen has been amazingly skillful at repeatedly missing all of his promises and targets and getting praised for it!

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and elfabio80 like this.
    04-08-17 12:14 AM
85 123 ...