Status symbol??? Wow another thing to contribute to the decay of society. We think to much about material things. I have a Blackberry because it is simply a good phone and I am on here not to show off my "status symbol" but to become more knowledgeable about the device in which I possess because there's nothing worse than someone with something they have no idea how to use. Intelligence rules out materialism in my personal opinion.
    07-04-08 12:48 AM
    They kind of were until the iPhone came out. BlackBerry's are sooooo 2006.

Even iPhones are a bit pedestrian now. If you want a phone as a status symbol you'll need one of those Prada phones or whatever else they're selling at Nieman Marcus for thousands of dollars.

In my mind though, getting one of those doesn't increase your stature it just means you're an insecure fool with money to waste.

But a Blackberry? I only paid $50 for my Curve. My last 4 phones cost significantly more and they were just cell phones. I'd still have "just a phone" but I needed something smarter to stay competitive so here I am.

I don't have a skin or a case or a holster for it, I just stuff it into my pocket and leave it there. It's just a tool, not a symbol.
    07-04-08 04:13 AM
    Where is this "status symbol" you speak of located?? I have looked in the options menu, on my SD Card, heck even in the OS and still can't find it. A little help!!
    07-04-08 04:59 AM
    A status symbol? - I couldn't care less. I bought it for me, not for somebody else. For me it is the "always connected" that makes it outstanding. If I thought of it as a status symbol somebody else would be carrying it for me. That would take ALL the fun out of owning it.
    07-04-08 06:54 AM
    Status Symbol, maybe for some people. I've gotten a few family friends that have a BlackBerry not because it's reliable or for what it can do, but more for the full keyboard and lack of camera (job req.). So just because someone has a BlackBerry doesn't nessacarily mean they using a BlackBerry. I know people you mainly for a texting due the full qwerty keyboard.

Me on the other hand (and this is just my thinking) the amount of money this is costing a month compared to a normal cell I will make this Blackberry everything it can for me

That and I love the "Always On" feeling, I know people all around the U.S. and I really have not traveled any where in months (I am long over due for a vacation) so I can just keep in touch with everyone very easily (Email, Text, IM, Phone)
    07-04-08 08:02 AM
    I don't really feel that owning a blackberry puts you in a certain class.I'm just an ordinary person. Not rich by any means. But this is just a great phone that has all of the features that I wanted and needed. It wasn't about status for me. Rather, practicality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 08:22 AM
    well all I can say is, you are in a sorority at my school if you have a northface, ugg boots, and a blackberry haha
    I can't stand ugg boots. It's very much a status symbol for me. If a chick wears ugg boots (especially with shorts or a mini skirt) it's a symbol that your status is "Nothing Worth Talking To"!
    07-04-08 10:04 AM
    IMO this isnt a status thing although sometimes it seems to depending on what you BUY. The more common affordable versions and the high price corporate editions. It seems like before rim really made consumer driven devices yes it was A status thing, Doctor , lawyer, Busniess owner etc, Flood the market with affordable items and everyone can belong to the circle. Smart marketing job , its self made advertisement. I dont know many Blackberry users who speak ILL of their device and word of mouth sells. I dont see a staus thing anymore but i see people who are Tech savvy and not afraid to embrace the future to come.

Status not so much, technology inclined ... definately
    Last edited by pdubya; 08-01-08 at 06:07 PM.
    08-01-08 06:04 PM
    Where is this "status symbol" you speak of located?? I have looked in the options menu, on my SD Card, heck even in the OS and still can't find it. A little help!!

lol! That's great!
    08-01-08 06:25 PM
    Never would have thought of that.

08-01-08 06:53 PM
    I think it's more an expression of one's Geek Quotient
    08-01-08 07:10 PM
    It is under options--->personal options----> status symbol. Just hit enable and save before you exit. You have to set it after every battery pull
    08-01-08 07:28 PM
    I'm a teen and getting a BlackBerry. My dad has had BlackBerry's for over three years. I've witnessed the power, functionality, and dashing good looks of the new BlackBerries. I'm getting one for e-mail and because thry are just so sweet.I don't see it as a status symbol. My last phone was a clamshell LG that cost more than my new BlackBerry will.

08-01-08 09:14 PM
    I don't really feel that owning a blackberry puts you in a certain class.I'm just an ordinary person. Not rich by any means. But this is just a great phone that has all of the features that I wanted and needed. It wasn't about status for me. Rather, practicality.

I totally agree with this, I don't see using a certain phone as a status symbol. Now these people with iPhones they think its a status symbol, I personally think its a POS.

Blackberries are more and more consumer friendly so its not really a big deal to have one anymore. Its funny because around here in Tucson, I hardly ever see a Blackberry, you see more iPhones than anything else.

I had a moment the other day while I was waiting for a fuse to get switched and the people sitting around me were using phones like Wings, Treo's, etc. (there was even someone with a Razr and a Laptop), and they all looked at me and watched what I did. It was a neat feeling, but then again, I just look at it like it gets the job done.

And there is REALLY no need for NorthFace Products in Arizona, but I will agree, its freezing to us when it gets cold, ESPECIALLY coming from 110 degree weather
    08-01-08 09:22 PM
    In my opinion, when I think "status symbol" I think of some business guy with a big degree pushing papers all day long driving a high end Benz.

I'd definitely have to say that it's not a status symbol in that realm since most people on here can't even form a complete sentence or spell 3/4 of their words correctly. Most of the time guys like that don't even have the time to do anything other than work and check their stock portfolios.

You can definitely tell the ones who carry it to look "cool" because they have it hanging off their belt sticking out as far as possible off their hips. I carry mine face in, inside my front pocket so all you see is the metal clip outside of my pocket.
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 08-01-08 at 09:39 PM.
    08-01-08 09:36 PM
    i dont think blackberries are status symbols, they show an organised lifestyle for rich or poor, it doesnt really matter! they arent very expenisve compared to the Vertu phones which start at around �3,500 ! they are expensive and probably would show high class!
    nab x
    08-12-08 07:16 AM
    I imagine in the hands of the shallow, yes it would be.
    It's always been a phone to me, no better or worse, than
    anything else on the market.
    I agree to the extent that only shallow people would see things as status symbols....there are people out there who drive incredible cars, but as a result can't afford to put furniture in their homes.
    As for it being just a phone...I disagree...it's an amazing business tool as well!
    08-12-08 07:21 AM
    I disagree...it's an amazing business tool as well!
    I never said it was not an amazing business tool, but at the end of
    the day it is still a phone. One with enhanced capability, but a
    phone nonetheless
    08-12-08 07:27 AM
    on my recent trip to miami, on the plane i of course seen tons of people with berries, and I felt like we all had a connection lol, everyone with a berry had it tightly in their hand, most like me with a skins 2 match the outfit we had on.

idk the status is we all are crackberry addicts, and our berries are just greater than others!
    08-12-08 07:29 AM
    They are looked at as a status symbol because of the price and the next hot item thing. Why do you think all the celebs have them.They also make people look more important then what they are. Example you have a complete ***** in a suite with a BB in hand and a PHD in a suite with a regular flip phone who would you say is more important? It is all about image.
    08-13-08 08:03 AM
    My word this thing did turn in to a monster, lol. You should have read some of the e-mails I got in the beginning about being a snob. Now that everything cleared up, we're all in agreement that with affordable pricing and general appeal to the masses that they are no longer a "status symbol".
    08-13-08 09:24 AM
    I would not consider any berry a ''status symbol''.

These phones on the other hand......

Goldvish “Le million” = $1,000,000
    Vertu Signature Cobra = $310,000
    Sony Ericsson Black Diamond = $300,000
    Vertu Diamond = $88,000
    and pretty much every other Vertu going down the list.
    08-13-08 10:40 AM
    Status symbol! who cares?
    08-13-08 02:06 PM
    I used a regular ol' flip phone as a phone only - never even text messaged. I got a different job that required constant access to email, but out "in the field" all day. I was running home and running to the public library and generally running around like crazy to ck email. I was VERY un-techy. A cousin of mine (who is a window washer, not a business type) has a BB. He explained how they work, what they do, etc. I bought a curve, joined this forum, downloaded many apps. Now I'm VERY technically savvy and use my BB to the full. Point is... I bought BB for my business needs. I never even considered buying one for any "image" attached to it. I learned how to optimize the benefits of BB by networking w/ a window washer and a 60-year-old tupperware salesman who saw me using my BB and gave my some pointers. I live in a semi-rural area (Pueblo, CO) and don't see many BB's around here. When I travel and am in urban settings (Chicago recently, Seattle a few months ago) I see BB's EVERYWHERE! Most folks using them have that classic young urban professional (that's what YUPPIE stands for) look to them. So.... I think BB's are status symbols only to those who use them for that purpose - and is very relative to the geographic area of the user. A BB user in Po-dunk Iowa and a BB user in New York City are NOT the same people. The guy in the sticks has an audience that doesn't even know what he's using. I actually had someone ask me yesterday, "hey man - why you talkin' on your calculator?" The user in an urban setting has an audience that understands what a BB is and has a better chance of "impressing" someone. Think of the phrase "pearls before swine" (look it up if you need to) I think the majority of REAL crackheads own and use them (by use I mean - data plan) for the practicality and don't fit the classis role of what one would imagine someone seeking a certain status would obtain from using a BB. -- I know that's kinda convoluted but my point is: you get out of it what you put into it and a lot has to do with WHERE the user is (rural vs. urban).
    08-13-08 04:03 PM
    I used a regular ol' flip phone as a phone only - never even text messaged. I got a different job that required constant access to email, but out "in the field" all day. I was running home and running to the public library and generally running around like crazy to ck email. I was VERY un-techy. A cousin of mine (who is a window washer, not a business type) has a BB. He explained how they work, what they do, etc. I bought a curve, joined this forum, downloaded many apps. Now I'm VERY technically savvy and use my BB to the full. Point is... I bought BB for my business needs. I never even considered buying one for any "image" attached to it. I learned how to optimize the benefits of BB by networking w/ a window washer and a 60-year-old tupperware salesman who saw me using my BB and gave my some pointers. I live in a semi-rural area (Pueblo, CO) and don't see many BB's around here. When I travel and am in urban settings (Chicago recently, Seattle a few months ago) I see BB's EVERYWHERE! Most folks using them have that classic young urban professional (that's what YUPPIE stands for) look to them. So.... I think BB's are status symbols only to those who use them for that purpose - and is very relative to the geographic area of the user. A BB user in Po-dunk Iowa and a BB user in New York City are NOT the same people. The guy in the sticks has an audience that doesn't even know what he's using. I actually had someone ask me yesterday, "hey man - why you talkin' on your calculator?" The user in an urban setting has an audience that understands what a BB is and has a better chance of "impressing" someone. Think of the phrase "pearls before swine" (look it up if you need to) I think the majority of REAL crackheads own and use them (by use I mean - data plan) for the practicality and don't fit the classis role of what one would imagine someone seeking a certain status would obtain from using a BB. -- I know that's kinda convoluted but my point is: you get out of it what you put into it and a lot has to do with WHERE the user is (rural vs. urban).
    Ok this just offends me. To assume that just because a BB is in an rural enviroment to say that it's aduience would have no concept of what a BB is, to me is ignorant and pretentious.
    08-13-08 05:53 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD