12-06-13 04:51 PM
26 12
tools
    I was doing some research for school on the NSA and Edward Snowden leaks and decided to go further into my research to find out how exactly they were able to "breach" the BlackBerry (since BlackBerry's has no backdoors they can not be hacked especially with all the security certificates (private and public) it has available for encryption). According to an article from 2009 BlackBerry's can be breached by using a method called 'social engineering' (Security researcher shows how hackers spy on BlackBerry and other smartphones | Security Central - InfoWorld) which was a method Snowden also used. The techniques they used were different though. Snowden was able to access SSH keys by using a technique called 'pretexting' (A specific theory on how Snowden cracked the NSA) while the technique the NSA used was a social engineering technique called 'phishing'. With this technique came another technique called 'Evil Twins' or 'WiFi Phishing' (Evil twin (wireless networks) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which was a method used and leaked in the files Snowden released (BlackBerry: Smartphones Still Safe After British Hacking Report). In order for this to go into effect the NSA had to used a method called 'man in the middle attack'. There are ways to keep secure from Evil Twin phishing (Wi-Fi phishing scam targets business travelers - Computerworld). So after all this research I'm pretty content that I'm safe (even though I have nothing to hide) and that my BlackBerry is a secure device. BlackBerry is still the gold standard for security but that won't be long since a new opponent will come into the mix (QSAlpha | Home of the Quasar IV Cipherphone). According to the NSA site (nsa.gov) the two most secured encryption methods are AES-256 and ECC which both platforms use. To me breaching and hacking are two different things. It's no wonder Obama still uses his trusted BlackBerry (Obama still uses a BlackBerry? Here’s why presidents always fall behind the times. - The Washington Post) but he is still vernable to being 'breached' (World's Greatest Hacker Says Obama's BlackBerry Can Be Breached | Fox News). The only way to be secure is to encrypt your device and emails and not fall for any scam.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-23-13 02:39 PM
    You can keep harping on this but the general public doesn't care, so it means nothing.
    JeepBB, kevinnugent and thymaster like this.
    11-23-13 03:03 PM
    http://qsalpha.com/en/quasar-iv/
    Some killer specs for the price

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 03:30 PM
    So you are running a personal BES server then?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-23-13 03:35 PM
    [rolleyes]

BB phones on BES have portions that can be considered "secure." It doesn't mean everything is secure on those phone: phone calls use the normal phone network, SMS and MMS use those standard protocols, emails become unsecure once they leave your phone and/or corporate email account and go out into the world. That's because none of those legacy standards have any kind of encryption or security built into them, so if you use those services, you are open to being easily intercepted. Properly set-up corporate email servers can be quite secure for sending internal emails, but have no illusions about what happens to emails once they leave the company. BBM on a BB phone secured with BES is secure, at least when communicating to another BB phone on BES.

BB phones NOT on BES should NOT be considered "secure", at least, not more than any iOS, Android, or WinPhone. There's really nothing about BB phones that's any more secure than any other phone UNLESS that phone is on BES. BB (and BB users) are happy to let BB's reputation for security on phones with BES spill over to non-BES phones, but there's no actual basis in fact for it.

Security is NOT as simple as buying a product or installing some software. Real security requires a good understanding of what's going on and where all the vulnerabilities are, and then addressing those vulnerabilities at every step. Security is only as strong as the weakest point, and only good for the specific services it covers.

IMO, a lot of people have these grandiose ideas of how secure their devices are, but really know very little about how things actually work. Fortunately, most people don't really NEED much in the way of security, because hardly anyone cares about the information in their phones. Most people aren't being investigated or targeted - security through obscurity. But if they were, most people would be surprised at how quickly their data would fall into the hands of those hackers.

Don't kid yourself folks. You don't do yourself any favors by believing in something that is provably untrue.
    11-23-13 03:56 PM
    The NSA , the US gov., US carriers, Google, Apple, Microsoft declared war on BlackBerry period. Long live BB!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    thymaster and EvilmasterMMA like this.
    11-23-13 03:56 PM
    The NSA , the US gov., US carriers, Google, Apple, Microsoft declared war on BlackBerry period. Long live BB!

So you are saying the US is the center of the world? That's a pretty closed minded opinion.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-23-13 04:11 PM

How about adding some substance to your posts instead of just being a cheerleader? I would enjoying hearing what you have to say.
    11-23-13 04:16 PM
    If people really cared about Security, BB would be selling. This is one of the reasons Lazeridis would not wake from his Coma. Now BB has 4500 less employees to innovate, engineer, market, sell services and products. While the competition is poaching ex-BB employees, and knowledge, BB is losing precious time with their self-inflicted drama.

Imagine this, Chen takes months to assimilate himself before engaging any business strategy, then decides he's done, after all he is "interim" status. Then the entire CEO introduction process starts again. BB is a sloth.

Time is an issue, the competition is not complacent. They are working around the clock to drive the final nail.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-23-13 05:25 PM
    If people really cared about Security, BB would be selling.
    1) The people who care about security and purchase BlackBerry are usually enterprise and governments. General consumers that understand security know there is not much of an advantage to BlackBerry over the competition.
    This is one of the reasons Lazeridis would not wake from his Coma.
    What does this even mean?

Now BB has 4500 less employees to innovate, engineer, market, sell services and products.
    I hate seeing people lose their jobs as much as the next guy but can you honestly say, given the current state of BlackBerry, that these people were doing a bang up job on the innovation, engineering, sales and marketing fronts?

While the competition is poaching ex-BB employees, and knowledge,
    They would have to be currently employed to be "poached." As ex-employees, they are simply being recruited.
    BB is losing precious time with their self-inflicted drama.
    No argument here

Imagine this, Chen takes months to assimilate himself before engaging any business strategy...
    I think you mean acclimate but to your point...isn't that what you would want him to do. Get a lay of the land, formulate a strategy and a plan to execute it rather than come in with a bunch of half-baked ideas.

You are quite correct that time is an issue but consider that it did not take a day for BBRY to find itself here, it will take more than a day to find it's way back (if it can)
    milo53 likes this.
    11-23-13 05:40 PM
    I believe most of you aren't even reading the text, you're only reading the title.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-23-13 06:15 PM
    You're right, Jeremy. It's also interesting how one person speaks for all using expressions like: "no one", or "everyone". Instead of informative responses, these threads tend to breakdown into petty (often unsupported) bickering.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-23-13 06:24 PM
    So you are saying the US is the center of the world? That's a pretty closed minded opinion.
    Why does Canada hate BlackBerry so much?!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Never did get to the bottom of that.
    11-23-13 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't you know? Canada is being paid by the NSA to undermine BlackBerry.
    Poirots Progeny and JeepBB like this.
    11-24-13 01:08 AM
    Don't you know? Canada is being paid by the NSA to undermine BlackBerry.
    I am a Canadian citizen and I find this very offensive.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 01:19 AM
    I am a Canadian citizen and I find this very offensive.

Posted via CB10
    Please don't. It was a reference to a certain thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=869705

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 01:20 AM
    I believe most of you aren't even reading the text, you're only reading the title.

Posted via CB10
    It was some interesting stuff to read up on. I think most get the gist of what you're saying, that BlackBerry as a smartphone is secure, and most of the breaches are due to social engineering or human error, as opposed to straight up hacking. I don't think many will disagree with you on that point.

The point a few have tried to hammer home is that a good number of the security measures are only available on BES connected devices (which I'm certain most here are not). The common misconception is that all BlackBerries share the same security capabilities by virtue of it being a BlackBerry. You see evidence of that by all those boasting about being NSA proof etc because they own a BlackBerry. Which is ironic, because your post here talks about the human element (in this case a false sense of security) being one of the biggest compromises to security.
    11-24-13 11:53 AM
    [rolleyes]
    BB phones NOT on BES should NOT be considered "secure", at least, not more than any iOS, Android, or WinPhone. There's really nothing about BB phones that's any more secure than any other phone UNLESS that phone is on BES. BB (and BB users) are happy to let BB's reputation for security on phones with BES spill over to non-BES phones, but there's no actual basis in fact for it.
    There is a little factual basis for it with the availability of personal data and sd card encryption features offered on BB10, right? Consumers belief in a little more security with BlackBerry can be rooted in this. I don't think the others offer anything beyond the routine device password.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 05:16 AM
    Any data can be hacked if it's broadcast over the internet and or wifi connection. I have always said that history teaches us valuable lessons.

The Germans in WWII thought their Naval code was secure and never realized the British had cracked their code a year earlier.

General George S Patton stated the "any" fortification can be breached no matter how "secure" they think it might be.

In the days of modern supercomputers which can process unbelievable amounts of data in a short period of time, no encryption scheme is safe in today's high tech world.

My data protection policy is simple, if I don't want anyone to know my personal information I don't email, fax, text and/or sent it over any form of communication that can be monitored.

I always remember my uncles saying when I was a young man. A fool and his money are soon parted. It still holds true today.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    bob_tn likes this.
    12-06-13 05:42 AM
    BlackBerry 10 phones DO provide more security than other phones, it's just not in the communications....they offer file encryption settings that many other phones don't, and the offer remote file access to your PC (via encrypted vpn tunnel) which nobody else does I don't think, and is waaaay more secure than using cloud. Also they offer the walled garden protection of Apple without the Apple invasion of privacy /device control.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    12-06-13 07:54 AM
    OS7.1 and earlier devices are secure as hell and better than any iPhone. BB10 devices sacrifice some security for fancy graphics, consumer apps and so on but can still be secured.
    12-06-13 07:55 AM
    Combined, the budget / market cap of those entities probably comprise about 70-80% and all of the equivalent entities in the rest of the world make up the rest

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 10:10 AM
    Ok guys there's two types of security BlackBerry gives: basic and network security. With "Basic Security" BlackBerry gives us the encryption right out of the box. This type of security can still be bypassed if not connected to a secured network (network security) which is why they have MDM (BES10). With encryption that BlackBerry gives there's ECC and AES which BlackBerry offers. All the security certificates are only available to those using MDM for enterprise. On a technical standpoint BlackBerry's can not be hacked but are able to be breached through social networking. There's a video of the guy above explaining it in detail in YouTube. BlackBerry's are secure but can be stronger through network security.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 10:29 AM
    BlackBerry 10 phones DO provide more security than other phones, it's just not in the communications....they offer file encryption settings that many other phones don't, and the offer remote file access to your PC (via encrypted vpn tunnel) which nobody else does I don't think, and is waaaay more secure than using cloud. Also they offer the walled garden protection of Apple without the Apple invasion of privacy /device control.
    It's so secure, I can't even access it half the time

Walled Garden Protection??? What is that... Sideloading any BAR file you find on the internet? Or now being able to download APK from some Andorid App store in China?

Security is dependent on how much the USER KNOWS and how much the USER CARES. I'd say a BIG portion of CrackBerry doesn't care all that much about security - based on the number of people in the "LEAKS" threads, "SIDELOADING" threads and now the "APK" threads.
    TgeekB, Troy Tiscareno and bbq10l like this.
    12-06-13 02:05 PM
26 12