I Live in Dubai, and for some reason i find that there is a certain behavioral pattern with the locals when it comes to special numbers such as car plate numbers that are being sold for millions including cellphone numbers.

Just recently, I came across this article on the local news paper talking about this so called blackberry "VIP, Special" BB PINs which are being sold at ridiculous prices. Here is the link BlackBerry ‘pins’ are the new licence plates - The National Newspaper

I just don't understand how so many people can actually pay blindly. Especially considering that unlike vehicle plate numbers these bb pins are allocated to a specific phone and cannot be transferred in anyway incase of damage.

Either way i just wanted to know if this pattern with blackberry is happening everywhere else or just in the gulf. Maybe i can be smart enough to buy from outside and sell them here...id probably make a fortune out of this trend

Edit: I actually meant to say "Blackberry Smartphones"
    Last edited by bushako; 02-13-10 at 06:58 PM.
    02-13-10 06:50 PM
    I think its completely ridiculous to even think that this is happening with blackberrys and license plates
    02-13-10 07:03 PM
    That is completely ridiculous.

you could probably make a killing if you were able to identify bbs with specific serial numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 07:08 PM
    lol, only way a PIN can be "special" is if it's within the range that RIM uses for internal handsets (i.e. developer versions). Anything else, it's the same as the others.
    02-13-10 07:25 PM
    Exactly! Some of the retailers here managed to get huge quantities of blackberry smartphones from abroad and are selling them here. Since the BB Pins are printed on the box label it is easy for them to just collect the ones with the good PIN numbers. Anyone interested in starting a business PM me :P Im sure the number of BB with good BB pins are abundant elsewhere.
    02-13-10 07:29 PM
    Exactly! Some of the retailers here managed to get huge quantities of blackberry smartphones from abroad and are selling them here. Since the BB Pins are printed on the box label it is easy for them to just collect the ones with the good PIN numbers. Anyone interested in starting a business PM me :P Im sure the number of BB with good BB pins are abundant elsewhere.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. The BBs I was talking about in my post above ARE NOT "sold" to the public and they are certainly not in large quantities either. Some get out, that's all.

Whatever these places are getting in Dubai, I think all of you there are being duppedbai, because they are nothing special.
    02-13-10 07:33 PM

3049BEB8
    31C8180E
    31bedf3f
    20CDFE17
    24B10594

These are all random pins.

Do they have any meaning? Is there any specific way that RIM sets a PIN? Or is it just completely randomized?

Because if it's totally randomized, then there would be the chance of getting a PIN like "3beffeb3" which would be awesome because it's a palindrome. That's the kind of thing the look for in a "special" PIN. They check for words like "30face30". Stuff like that. At least that's the vibe I'm getting.
    02-13-10 08:37 PM
    I don't understand what you mean by this. The BBs I was talking about in my post above ARE NOT "sold" to the public and they are certainly not in large quantities either. Some get out, that's all.

Whatever these places are getting in Dubai, I think all of you there are being duppedbai, because they are nothing special.
    ah i didnt see your post when replying. And i never said i was interested in these trends, its just fascinating to see there people who actually do and the fact that its happening.
    02-14-10 05:21 AM
    Nope, I think it's probably another example of the obsession with excess displayed throughout most of the UAE.

To be honest they'll only sell for what people are willing to pay, and i've not noticed any kind of trend like that here (although there is a market for "special" cell/mobile numbers here, at least you can consider it an investment as it can be easily transferred to another device/network.)

I love the pin my Bold has. It's 2**D**AB, where the asterisks are two pairs of numbers, I've found I was able to remember it when I first saw it and it's easy to hand out, shame it's probably worth nothing though.

02-14-10 07:34 AM
    Anyone interested in starting a business PM me :P Im sure the number of BB with good BB pins are abundant elsewhere.
    Interesting how every single thread on vanity pins is from somebody in UAE, and every single one contains some offer to do business after the initial post.

Coincidence? I think not!
    02-14-10 08:21 AM
    Interesting how every single thread on vanity pins is from somebody in UAE, and every single one contains some offer to do business after the initial post.

+1.maybe you're right.
    02-14-10 08:42 AM
    Wow. It must be amazing to have that much money burning a hole in your pocket that you can be so self-indulgent.
    Last thing I'd want is a number that anyone could just type the same # 7x and jus add a different digit.
    02-14-10 09:23 AM

We even had some jackass asking how to change PINs to "desirable" combinations. No chance it would work - well, the PIN might be changed on the phone but it will never work on the network. It would need illegal software and he would have defrauded his "customers". We all know how the Gulf States deal with thieves and scammers, particularly when the victim is well connected.

There are 2 series of PIN in circulation. CDMA devices are 3xxxxxxx and GSM/UMTS devices are 2xxxxxxx. That means there could be exactly 2 devices in the world which have all characters the same, and 32 devices which could have 7 consecutive repeats. I leave it to the lurkers to estimate how many other combinations could exist, and estimate how many of these are likely to exist and be allocated to current production devices.

In reality there are very few real combinations which could exist and the probability that they have all been issued is low. Ther probability they would all be available to migrate to the Gulf is vanishingly small. Conclusion... Ripoff.
    02-14-10 11:32 AM
    And 1xxxxxxx devices are RIM test units. Those are the only ones that matter when it comes to "desired BBs".
    02-14-10 11:37 AM

Lool..its sarcasm if you didn't notice...

02-14-10 11:38 AM
    And 1xxxxxxx devices are RIM test units. Those are the only ones that matter when it comes to "desired BBs".
    Well said
    02-14-10 11:40 AM
    We even had some jackass asking how to change PINs to "desirable" combinations. No chance it would work - well, the PIN might be changed on the phone but it will never work on the network. It would need illegal software and he would have defrauded his "customers". We all know how the Gulf States deal with thieves and scammers, particularly when the victim is well connected.

There are 2 series of PIN in circulation. CDMA devices are 3xxxxxxx and GSM/
    UMTS devices are 2xxxxxxx. That means there could be exactly 2 devices in the world which have all characters the same, and 32 devices which could have 7 consecutive repeats. I leave it to the lurkers to estimate how many other combinations could exist, and estimate how many of these are likely to exist and be allocated to current production devices.

In reality there are very few real combinations which could exist and the probability that they have all been issued is low. Ther probability they would all be available to migrate to the Gulf is vanishingly small. Conclusion... Ripoff.
    I hope your not associating me with these "jackasses" because if you read my first post this thread is also because I am personally against these kind of businesses. Just so you know.

02-14-10 11:42 AM
    No, we had someone post an explicit question about how-to-change. IIRC he was a one post genius and didn't stick around too long when we said "illegal". Not sure now but the thread probably got removed.
    02-14-10 11:51 AM
    these bb pins are allocated to a specific phone and cannot be transferred in anyway
    This is ridiculous and always has been. And it is why I refuse to use BlackBerry's PIN as a communication tool. I never give the pin to any phone I have to anyone.

I've had three different BlackBerrys in the last three years which also means I've had three different pin numbers. I'm suppose to give pins to people and then run around and update everyone everytime I get a new device? Ridiculous.

RIM needs to make the pin numbers transferrable. Any other process is just silly.
    02-14-10 12:00 PM
    Conclusion... Ripoff.
    Yes indeed.
    02-14-10 12:05 PM
    This is ridiculous and always has been. And it is why I refuse to use BlackBerry's PIN as a communication tool. I never give the pin to any phone I have to anyone.

I've had three different BlackBerrys in the last three years which also means I've had three different pin numbers. I'm suppose to give pins to people and then run around and update everyone everytime I get a new device? Ridiculous.

RIM needs to make the pin numbers transferrable. Any other process is just silly.
    yes but from what i understand your contacts can be backed up from the BBM via cloud and then once on your new blackberry you can easily restore the contacts. Ofcourse, you end up informing them and reminding your contacts to accept the invitation.
    02-14-10 12:10 PM
    Ther probability they would all be available to migrate to the Gulf is vanishingly small. Conclusion... Ripoff.
    Yes, but when you are taking about retail stores, they are very well aware of the risk which are associated with ripping off their customers therefore the unlikelihood of the shop owners committing these acts. Like the person earlier mentioned, the majority of customers who purchase these vanity pins are locals and most likely those who have someone way up in the government. Of course, if you are talking about individual sellers then its a different story.

Conclusion? they probably have people from other regions who scan various retails stores for blackberry smartphones with the desired pins and send them here to be sold at 10times the price.
    Last edited by bushako; 02-14-10 at 12:21 PM.
    02-14-10 12:15 PM
    yes but from what i understand your contacts can be backed up from the BBM via cloud and then once on your new blackberry you can easily restore the contacts. Ofcourse, you end up informing them and reminding your contacts to accept the invitation.
    I don't think your contacts receive any notification regarding your PIN change. My friend was asking why I wasn't BBMing with my newer BlackBerry after I started using it.

02-14-10 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD