"A new China-based company would be formed and owned by CIC, RIM and a handful of Chinese mobile phone makers. The venture would sell Chinese-made phones which, under a licensing agreement, would operate on RIM?s core software." - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...3602/?page=all

According to the above excerpt from an article, which I know we have all read, BlackBerry had plans to have phones manufactured in China but abandoned it once Thorstein Heins took office as CEO.

After all the talk about BlackBerry selling it's hardware business and becoming a software company, would it be possible if they didn't abandon the hardware business side for the US Market but followed through with the plan to have manufacture phones for the Chinese Market for the sake of sales or should they just start selling some Z10 inventory in China? I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Anyways thanks for your cooperation.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:59 PM
    Selling more technology to China? I hope not.
    09-29-13 11:01 PM
    Selling more technology to China? I hope not.
    Translation:

Making more money? I hope not.
    Making market share, and market penetration bigger? I hope not.
    eldricho and h20work like this.
    09-29-13 11:19 PM
    Translation:

Further translation:
    Keep existing on their own? I hope not

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:49 PM
    Further translation: BlackBerry the company sucks!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 12:06 AM
    TH should step down.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    h20work likes this.
    09-30-13 12:07 AM
    Further translation: BlackBerry the company sucks!

Posted via CB10
    Still haven't gotten over your anger for the $9 share, eh? >:/

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 12:10 AM
    TH should step down.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    I disagree. He hasn't been in office long enough for us to say he should be fired. The one who needs firing would be CMO FB.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 12:12 AM
    TH seems to have made all the wrong decisions according to that article!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 12:49 AM
    The answer is NO. This won't happen. (I don't want to talk in such absolutes but sometimes I feel like I have to keep things extremely simple!)

FIRST, we'd have to pretend BB has any future in phones at all, a very dubious assumption. Unless they find an investor willing to continue that venture (highly unlikely), they will not.

SECOND, the venture talked about sounds like OS licensing. It would have been a good plan to get into the market there, cheap for BB, and with a partner who has influence and understanding of the region. Now, it's too late. Nobody wants to license an OS from a company that is on the brink of disappearing. That would be absolutely insane. Nobody wants to license an OS that the company put it's own effort into selling - and failed...horribly.

Thor cold calling from the office: Hi, I'm Thor, we couldn't sell BB10 phones, but would you like to pay us (has to be a significant amount or it won't help BB anyways) so you can make BB10 phones? Oh yes, I know you can get android for free, but.....this is the future of mobile computing! Hello.....hello?

Thor talked about wanting to license the OS to others for overseas markets - I have no doubt they tried very hard to make any deal they could - they failed. What are the chances somebody would go for it now?

It would have been a good chance for BB if they could have pulled it off along with the general launch of BB10.
    09-30-13 08:17 AM
    TH seems to have made all the wrong decisions according to that article!

Posted via CB10
    Any more I'm not so sure he wasn't just doing what he was told to do.
    09-30-13 08:48 AM
    The fact you guys probably don't know is that Chinese government actively blocks anything from Google since Google search engine exited Mainland of China.

Chinese government doesn't want Android to be successful at all in China.

Canadian Norman Bethune is still a popular hero everybody in China knows.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 12:24 PM
    I disagree. He hasn't been in office long enough for us to say he should be fired. The one who needs firing would be CMO FB.

Posted via CB10
    Thor's "laser focus" is why we find ourselves where we are now.

If anyone hasn't read the full article from the globe, I strongly suggest you do. Skip the cb highlight reel from the thread, it didn't cover many of the important events and decisions.
    09-30-13 12:30 PM
    I highly doubt you could milk out loads of cash from the Chinese government that easily. If RIM is the only foreign company in such a joint venture I can just see one day it becomes a 100% Chinese owned company with RIM's technology taken from their hands. This kind of stuff does happen in China.

Translation:

09-30-13 12:39 PM