I was wondering if BlackBerry 10.2.1 is more secure than iOS or Android?
    Even if a BlackBerry smartphone device that is NOT connected to a secure BES server, is it still secure than iOS or Android?

Thanks
    10-31-14 02:00 PM
    Yes just by the fact that we are a minority now and not may ppl will write viruses to target BlackBerry. But then again viruses that target all data connected devices will still affect BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    10-31-14 02:14 PM
    it can more secure but not if the user is stupid.
    10-31-14 02:15 PM
    I agree that since we are the minority now that we are less likely to be targeted by the hackers.

But, the way I understand it is that unless you are on a BES server, you no safer then any other smartphone out there? I could be wrong here, but that's how I understand it works.
    shaleem likes this.
    10-31-14 02:21 PM
    Security isn't a "yes or no" option. Is your house secure if your front door is locked? Perhaps, if the front door is the ONLY way into your house, but for most people, locking the front door doesn't mean much if the back door is unlocked, the windows are open, and there's a key to the front door under the mat.

While this is going to ruffle some feathers here, there is no significant difference between the overall security on BB10 not on BES as compared to Android or iOS - most of BB's vaunted security is the result of BES, which is, for the most part, only used by corporations, rather than by individual consumers. Yes, there are a few specific areas where BB has chosen the more secure route compared to iOS and Android, but on the other hand, BB10 users are using a lot of Android apps, most of which aren't even from the Play Store, but from third-party, often unregulated app stores. Many are even installing financial apps from these stores, with no way to know who really uploaded that app to the store or what changes the might have made to the app!

Also, as howarmat says, if the user makes foolish choices, then all the security in the world won't save you. Again, the analogy of the front door: you could have a steel-framed, all-steel door with 5 heavy hinges and 3 high-end deadbolts with an advanced key design meant to be strongly pick-resistant all set into a steel-reinforced concrete wall, and think because you spent $5000 on your front door that you are secure, but if you then decide that it's too inconvenient to lock that door each time, and leave it unlocked, all that money was for nothing - anyone can open your door.

So, with some minor differences, you should expect a consumer, non-BES BB10 phone to be on roughly equal footing with Android or iOS. Most data/networking services will be using the identical protocols, and of course, phone calls and SMS/MMS messages are completely unencrypted on all consumer phones.
    10-31-14 02:47 PM
    Is this a trick question? Lol

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    10-31-14 02:52 PM
    How do you define security? If you mean can someone break into your phone and read your texts and bbm messages, it's as secure as your password.

The weak links are the other services you use. If your email and contacts are on Outlook or Gmail, and you click on a link in a phishing email, your email and contacts could be compromised, and everyone in your address book could start receiving phishing emails from your address. But the compromised account would not be on the BlackBerry.

I use my phone to access my bank and credit card accounts. Never when I'm on wifi, only on the data plan. I don't think anyone could install a keyboard logging virus on a BlackBerry device, so I feel pretty safe entering my banking password.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:39 PM
    Ask Jennifer Lawrence and many others!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 04:15 PM
    Yes. You can root an android or iPhone still to install all sorts of stuff that no one knows about. Bb10 not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-31-14 04:18 PM
    Ask Jennifer Lawrence and many others!

Posted via CB10
    Jennifer's and others iPhones were not hacked. Their iCloud accounts were. Hacked through a common password brute force hack. They also kept old, outdated backups.

That being said, if you define secure as someone (like the local PD) being able to get into your locked phone, I would go with the iPhone. If you're talking about general data security and you're not on BES, then it's a wash.
    10-31-14 08:00 PM
    I think I saw 14 other threads just like this one...

Z30 144GB
    10-31-14 08:43 PM
    I was wondering if BlackBerry 10.2.1 is more secure than iOS or Android?
    Even if a BlackBerry smartphone device that is NOT connected to a secure BES server, is it still secure than iOS or Android?

Thanks
    Can you root an Android or iOS? Yes. Can you root BB10 device? No. Enough said.
    10-31-14 08:55 PM
    Can you root an Android or iOS? Yes. Can you root BB10 device? No. Enough said.
    what does this prove really? there is much more to security than this. Hell to root an android it must be wiped first 99% of the time. All your data is erased similar to a security wipe when you enter a password 10 times on a BB. Its easier to nab someones SD card from their BB than to take a phone and root it and get the data off it.
    shaleem and damienR like this.
    10-31-14 09:04 PM
    what does this prove really? there is much more to security than this. Hell to root an android it must be wiped first 99% of the time. All your data is erased similar to a security wipe when you enter a password 10 times on a BB. Its easier to nab someones SD card from their BB than to take a phone and root it and get the data off it.
    Not true about Android.

How to easily root an Android device - CNET

If you can install software to get root access of a phone to get at the system and change things, it is not a secure OS.
    10-31-14 09:09 PM
    Not true about Android.

How to easily root an Android device - CNET

If you can install software to get root access of a phone to get at the system and change things, it is not a secure OS.
    This assumes you already have control of the device and its not locked with a password. You already have all the user data if that is the case. rooting doesnt gain you anything really.

Like said before it really depends on what kind of security we are talking about. Physical access vs spying remotely are very different
    ubizmo and shaleem like this.
    10-31-14 09:19 PM
    I agree that since we are the minority now that we are less likely to be targeted by the hackers.

But, the way I understand it is that unless you are on a BES server, you no safer then any other smartphone out there? I could be wrong here, but that's how I understand it works.
    Yep. I'm sure nobody wants to hack the president's blackberry.

Z10 STL100-2 / 10.3.0.1418
    11-01-14 12:42 AM
    Sometimes security is only as good as the end-user is.
    11-03-14 11:18 PM
    I think I saw 14 other threads just like this one...

Z30 144GB
    You must be misspelling... that was 41 :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 11:49 PM
    This assumes you already have control of the device and its not locked with a password. You already have all the user data if that is the case. rooting doesnt gain you anything really.

Like said before it really depends on what kind of security we are talking about. Physical access vs spying remotely are very different
    Ah. The key here is rooting it without the other person knowing to gain future information. That is the real threat.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 02:01 AM
    Well, this sort of thread seems to show up every few months and the answer doesn't really changed so here we go. In general, there are three aspects needing consideration: the server, the connections and the devices. BES provides secure server and connection service for the business community at a price. In general, consumers don't have access to BES. As to the phone, yes a blackberry phone is certainly more secure than an iPhone or an Android. The phone can't be hacked or rooted, something easily done with other devices. As rightly point out, the biggest problem for consumers is finding 3rd party service providers that take security seriously as you are sharing information. Pretty clear Apple and Google do the bare minimum and only when embarrassed into submission.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    11-04-14 06:20 AM
    Does a bear s*** in the woods????

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 01:01 PM
    Accidentally leave an IPhone at Starbucks - Gone. Leave an HTC One at Starbucks - Good luck. Leave a BlackBerry phone at Starbucks - collect the phone at the counter. Yup, BB phones are more secure
    11-05-14 08:30 PM
    Jennifer's and others iPhones were not hacked. Their iCloud accounts were. Hacked through a common password brute force hack. They also kept old, outdated backups.

That being said, if you define secure as someone (like the local PD) being able to get into your locked phone, I would go with the iPhone. If you're talking about general data security and you're not on BES, then it's a wash.
    So your saying that stupid people can break into the iCloud? I might suggest avoiding this one. As to security, it is more than BES or an encryption key. 10 year olds are hacking into iPhones, it's an embarrassment.

Let's face it, you have to find it funny when the Chinese government considers the iPhone a security risk but the US government gives it the big OK.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 09:38 PM
    Accidentally leave an IPhone at Starbucks - Gone. Leave an HTC One at Starbucks - Good luck. Leave a BlackBerry phone at Starbucks - collect the phone at the counter. Yup, BB phones are more secure
    That's because nobody else wants it. Or knows what it is.
    11-05-14 09:47 PM
    LOL!

Evil...
    11-05-14 09:51 PM
110 123 ...