I will note that my Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 from October '14 on KitKat 4.4 still runs Netflix, Amazon Prime and pretty much any Android app I have ever wanted to use on it. the last Security Patch was Jan '17 but I only download from PlayStore so think I am relatively safe. I don't do any financial transactions or such so I use it to watch movies and read.
    Indeed, I think app compatibility wise, this is less of an issue than it was back in around 2009-2012 where hardware just kept making major jumps. It’s now more about Security and patching.
    07-01-19 03:51 PM
    I have never been a Tim Cook fan and Steve Jobs was the innovator and visionary and is why Apple is where they are today, Tim Cook has showed me nothing except corporate profits since he has been at the helm.

I remember hearing Jobbs say he felt the company was in good hands before his death, but I haven’t seen any new product innovations that have convinced me that he kept his promises.

It’s all great they have made a lot of money and have more cash reserves then most countries do, but that’s only going to go so far and shifting from products into services is not a long term solution in my opinion.

While the entire smartphone industry is saturated and most new products are mainly minor hardware and software features.

Even IOS has become stale with the Apple faithful, folks are looking for a major overhaul and instead are given minor software tweaks that Android has already had a long time ago.

I think Apple is in for a tough road ahead and I will be real curious to see where they go. Unfortunately if we are looking for something new and exciting, it’s not going to happen.

We are down to two major players now, IOS and Android and I don’t see any new players who are willing to risk the capital and resources that would be required to make a new OS and hardware possible. Just my two cents worth.
    07-01-19 06:32 PM
    I have never been a Tim Cook fan and Steve Jobs was the innovator and visionary and is why Apple is where they are today, Tim Cook has showed me nothing except corporate profits since he has been at the helm.

I remember hearing Jobbs say he felt the company was in good hands before his death, but I haven’t seen any new product innovations that have convinced me that he kept his promises.

It’s all great they have made a lot of money and have more cash reserves then most countries do, but that’s only going to go so far and shifting from products into services is not a long term solution in my opinion.

While the entire smartphone industry is saturated and most new products are mainly minor hardware and software features.

Even IOS has become stale with the Apple faithful, folks are looking for a major overhaul and instead are given minor software tweaks that Android has already had a long time ago.

I think Apple is in for a tough road ahead and I will be real curious to see where they go. Unfortunately if we are looking for something new and exciting, it’s not going to happen.

We are down to two major players now, IOS and Android and I don’t see any new players who are willing to risk the capital and resources that would be required to make a new OS and hardware possible. Just my two cents worth.
    Right, and there's the smartphone slowdown in general and sales are plumetting.
    I wonder how much longer we'll see the same form factors with the same minor refinements of camera and display.
    07-01-19 07:24 PM
    Right, and there's the smartphone slowdown in general and sales are plumetting.
    I wonder how much longer we'll see the same form factors with the same minor refinements of camera and display.
    Unfortunately nobody has a better idea yet. I wish someone would.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-01-19 07:30 PM
    Unfortunately nobody has a better idea yet. I wish someone would.
    What do you think would work?
    07-01-19 09:01 PM
    What do you think would work?
    Oh, believe me, if I had a better idea I'd be shopping it around. I don't have a better idea, and I haven't seen anyone else with one either.

So we keep getting a new slab with more GPU, a little more CPU, one more camera, etc.... Rinse and repeat.
    07-01-19 09:15 PM
    Oh, believe me, if I had a better idea I'd be shopping it around. I don't have a better idea, and I haven't seen anyone else with one either.

So we keep getting a new slab with more GPU, a little more CPU, one more camera, etc.... Rinse and repeat.
    Yeah I'm not sure either.
    07-01-19 09:47 PM
    Yeah I'm not sure either.
    I'm pretty sure it's not bringing back the PKB format... and that's what Boon sees as being innovative, returning to the past.

But in the end I think going forward it's just going to be minor refinements to components as technology improves. But in the end the format is pretty much set. Might see some toy with smaller phones again, might see some toy with expensive folding phones.

Might see 5GB/s drives at some point, with 802.11ax WiFi and nanotube batteries, HBM3 RAM and maybe at some point a 16-Core 5.2 GHz CPU.... I'm sure that will all make emails go much faster

I think what most of us want is some of the stuff dreamed up by Hollywood...
    07-02-19 08:19 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's not bringing back the PKB format... and that's what Boon sees as being innovative, returning to the past.

But in the end I think going forward it's just going to be minor refinements to components as technology improves. But in the end the format is pretty much set. Might see some toy with smaller phones again, might see some toy with expensive folding phones.

Might see 5GB/s drives at some point, with 802.11ax WiFi and nanotube batteries, HBM3 RAM and maybe at some point a 16-Core 5.2 GHz CPU.... I'm sure that will all make emails go much faster

I think what most of us want is some of the stuff dreamed up by Hollywood...
    A PKB in of itself might not be innovative, but a capacitive, waterproof one with fingerprint sensor under spacebar and RGB backlighting...

Or a PKB with a LED panel underneath instead of paint (not sure how that's even possible) for easy multilingual support...
    07-02-19 09:12 AM

Or a PKB with a LED panel underneath instead of paint (not sure how that's even possible) for easy multilingual support...
    It's called a VKB....

That company that had the prototype a few years ago of a normal looking slab with buttons that rose out of the screen when typing... looked cool. But I suspect the cost was more that any interest in such a product would allow. Anyway they seemed to have abandoned it....

I've seen some pretty cool stuff for the Blind and offering tactile interfaces.... but the "market" of a tactile smartphone interface, just isn't big enough to matter. Maybe a few million users at best, and even within this niche... they don't all agree on what they want.
    Some would rather have it without the capacitive features, some want wide, some want smaller, some want another OS than Android... but all an OEM wants is enough sales to make it worth doing.

Do think RGB backlighting... maybe tied to the Notification LED would be cool. Low power for backlighting, but brighten it up as a notification tool.
    07-02-19 09:45 AM
    Do think RGB backlighting... maybe tied to the Notification LED would be cool. Low power for backlighting, but brighten it up as a notification tool.
    Yesss I've been saying this for a while, it shouldn't cost too much to implement
    07-02-19 11:13 AM
    Yesss I've been saying this for a while, it shouldn't cost too much to implement
    Few years ago Alcatel had the A5 and their version of MODs... one of those was an LED back that was kinds cool.

I could see that being under the keyboard... Too bad Alcatel could get their MODS going, might have resulted in a slider keyboard mod?
    07-02-19 11:39 AM
    might have resulted in a slider keyboard mod?
    Now for that, I would be all ears
    07-02-19 11:50 AM
    Unfortunately, if your waiting for the next greatest thing since sliced bread, those days are behind us.

As many folks have said in these post, now it’s update the screen, camera and processing power and tack on more money.

But, even Apple has realized that this type of marketing is not sustainable and have shifted into the service side of the business hoping this with keep their revenue stream going to please their shareholders.
    Last edited by bakron1; 07-03-19 at 06:44 PM.
    07-03-19 03:45 PM
    As may have said in these post, now it’s update the screen, camera and processing power and tack on more money.
    How long are slab manufacturers going to ride that train?
    How long are people gonna throw their money at the "next best slab"?
    07-03-19 06:29 PM
    How long are slab manufacturers going to ride that train?
    How long are people gonna throw their money at the "next best slab"?
    As long as devices keep selling.
    I’m not sure what they are supposed to do. Until the “next best thing” comes along all you can do is improve upon the current thing, either software or hardware. That’s why people are holding onto devices longer and why they feel they have to increase prices.
    07-03-19 06:36 PM
    As long as devices keep selling.
    I’m not sure what they are supposed to do. Until the “next best thing” comes along all you can do is improve upon the current thing, either software or hardware. That’s why people are holding onto devices longer and why they feel they have to increase prices.
    Modular devices would be nice.

Build your smartphone.
    07-03-19 07:07 PM
    Modular devices would be nice.

Build your smartphone.
    That's a concept that's been around for a few years but never caught on. Maybe it needs to be perfected. Like bendable screens.
    That takes a lot of R&D, money and time. Something like that will come along soon and stick. Nothing has yet.
    07-03-19 07:11 PM
    That's a concept that's been around for a few years but never caught on. Maybe it needs to be perfected. Like bendable screens.
    That takes a lot of R&D, money and time. Something like that will come along soon and stick. Nothing has yet.
    They can't just keep churning out the same slabs with minor camera, display and processor improvements.
    07-03-19 07:12 PM
    They can't just keep churning out the same slabs with minor camera, display and processor improvements.
    Seems like they are though.
    It wont last forever but, until something new comes along, you have to sell phones.
    07-03-19 07:14 PM
    Seems like they are though.
    It's not in the least bit surprising that there's a major worldwide slowdown then.
    07-03-19 07:23 PM
    It's not in the least bit surprising that there's a major worldwide slowdown then.
    I agree. Like I said, that is why they are raising prices on new phones. Not because they are so much better but because they have to.
    07-03-19 07:25 PM
    I think the flagship line is in slow down. But the mid and low still keep racing due to some chinese companies releasing new midrange devices almost every quarter, making a new class between mid and low or mid and high (mid premium).
    07-05-19 09:35 AM
    I don't know so much one thing is certain a lot of people are buying their phones in the wild or have them on contract and they are going for things like the cat from caterpillar and landrovers rugged phones that are on Android and have 5 years of updates.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 08-17-19 at 05:51 AM.
    07-08-19 05:04 AM
74 123