Does that include the battery life and screen that I don’t miss from the 5 that I used last year before the XR BOGO special...
    I don’t remember having poor battery life, it always seemed to get me through a day.
    How do you like the XR?
    06-22-19 07:47 PM
    I don’t remember having poor battery life, it always seemed to get me through a day.
    How do you like the XR?
    Like having a mini iPad mini in my pocket with battery life to go. The 5 was a 3X hand me down through my youngest three kids.... battery was replaced twice before in 2014 and 2016 so it was due.

Compared with 3/32 and 4/64 KEYone, it’s great for an iOS slab. It’s 3/128 model but it feels more like 4/128 but I’ve been told it’s because Apple is able to optimize their OS better only because all proprietary hardware...

Since BOGO, two devices cost me $750 total/$375 each so worth it. Probably will seem even better if lasts me iOS four years instead normal Android two years .
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-22-19 08:02 PM
    Tim Cook doesn’t care anymore than Steve Jobs about privacy. Hypocrisy at it’s finest. Actions speak much louder than words. The only thing anyone cares about with the privacy component is whether there’s any profits.

I don’t care about the privacy aspect since I support the Android/iOS business model and I always have because I don’t believe in free lunches and nice corporations, just the cost of doing business and the corporate profit motive.
    Tim cares about his privacy.
    The "your data or no soup for you!" business model exists because Google, Facebook and the like need it to be successful.
    But one has to pay for food. This just proves how non-essential Google, Facebook, and others like them are.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-19 09:55 PM
    Tim cares about his privacy.
    The "your data or no soup for you!" business model exists because Google, Facebook and the like need it to be successful.
    But one has to pay for food. This just proves how non-essential Google, Facebook, and others like them are.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you don’t care or depend on Android/iOS from Apple, Google and Microsoft and it’s Windows products. I depend on all of this and Facebook and it’s companies. If you’re able to run your business in 2019 without any of this, congratulations, but I cannot...
    06-22-19 10:19 PM
    Like having a mini iPad mini in my pocket with battery life to go. The 5 was a 3X hand me down through my youngest three kids.... battery was replaced twice before in 2014 and 2016 so it was due.

Compared with 3/32 and 4/64 KEYone, it’s great for an iOS slab. It’s 3/128 model but it feels more like 4/128 but I’ve been told it’s because Apple is able to optimize their OS better only because all proprietary hardware...

Since BOGO, two devices cost me $750 total/$375 each so worth it. Probably will seem even better if lasts me iOS four years instead normal Android two years .
    In Canada most of what you save is added on to data and phone fees. You have to add up all of your phone costs for two years and compare it with a competitive BYOD plan over the two years.

If you buy a two year old model you can save more. The big telco’s charge more than they should for BYOD but they do have subsidiaries that offer a reasonable rate.

I wish they were forced to state the true cost of purchasing your device.
    06-22-19 10:47 PM
    While Apple's apparent altruistic intent to not monetise its users' data is commendable, it can only exist as a business model because they have a small (relative to Google) customer base willing to pay exorbitant prices for its products.

I do not see this ending well for Apple because I don't think people will continue to be that brainwashed receptive in light of the incredible hardware that is becoming available at a fraction of the cost.
    I have been watching and reading much about Tim Cook, Apple and his take on the modern smartphone. His primary job as CEO is to ensure shareholders are happy with the direction Apple is going and Apple products keep selling. Cook knows darn good and well (and is probably scared more than people would imagine) about Android devices that do everything his do at a fraction of the cost. Thus this privacy pivot over the past few years. Apple's overall mobile share continues to decrease annually. Chinese manufacturers have been flooding markets with cheaper alternatives to the iPhone that make calls, text, have app support and handle email.

Being a primarily Blackberry user since '09 (I have used an S7 and own a S9 I use in conjunction with my BE KeyOne) I am listening to this privacy position. If anyone has the marketing might and fortitude it's Apple and maybe, just maybe they will be able to leverage this growing concern into users continuing to choose or go to an Apple product? Or maybe not because users utilize so many apps on their iPhone's that render the play less significant.
    06-23-19 08:50 AM
    If I buy an XR today, I know that I will likely get four years of good service including OS updates and security patches. Parts will be easy to come by and I can even deal with a brick and mortar store if I want.

I would expect maybe two to three years for a mid range Android and many never see a battery replacement.

I think the XR is not cheap but reasonable if you intend on going past one battery replacement.

Still though, Apple needs a new lower priced device - an SE with about a 5.5 inch screen. Internals of about an iPhone 8 would be fine.
    Your soon going to get your wish. I recently read Apple is going to condense offerings and have two larger screen devices XR, XS Max at differing price points and then a true one handed premium device utilizing the latest edge to edge screen technology. Think SE but all screen with the latest Silicon.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-23-19 08:55 AM
    Your soon going to get your wish. I recently read Apple is going to condense offerings and have two larger screen devices XR, XS Max at differing price points and then a true one handed premium device utilizing the latest edge to edge screen technology. Think SE but all screen with the latest Silicon.
    This would be awesome.
    06-23-19 10:04 AM
    I have been watching and reading much about Tim Cook, Apple and his take on the modern smartphone. His primary job as CEO is to ensure shareholders are happy with the direction Apple is going and Apple products keep selling. Cook knows darn good and well (and is probably scared more than people would imagine) about Android devices that do everything his do at a fraction of the cost. Thus this privacy pivot over the past few years. Apple's overall mobile share continues to decrease annually. Chinese manufacturers have been flooding markets with cheaper alternatives to the iPhone that make calls, text, have app support and handle email.
    They're certainly marketing their efforts more in recent years but their privacy/security push predates their recent issues and even the Snowden revelations. Encryption is especially noteworthy as they even went further than BlackBerry by enabling it by default (BlackBerry only began doing that with Android IIRC).

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-...vacy-features/
    06-23-19 03:17 PM
    So I realize non Blackberry Android and iPhone can and have been hacked. Has anyone ever hacked a Blackberry 6-7-10 OS or Android version Blackberry OS?
    06-25-19 11:36 PM
    So I realize non Blackberry Android and iPhone can and have been hacked. Has anyone ever hacked a Blackberry 6-7-10 OS or Android version Blackberry OS?
    Idk but I wish there was a way to root the Priv to load a custom ROM with Nougat/Oreo !
    06-26-19 03:18 PM
    Another news article just out quoting TCL is moving up market under their own brand name rather than Alcatel. Makes perfect sense to me. They should make TCL PKB phones too but they won’t.
    06-27-19 12:18 AM
    Another news article just out quoting TCL is moving up market under their own brand name rather than Alcatel. Makes perfect sense to me. They should make TCL PKB phones too but they won’t.
    Interesting, might be worth making a new thread about this but they seem to be positioning BlackBerry as their "High End" brand, TCL as "midrange", and Alcatel as "Entry". I wonder where Palm fits in.

https://ausdroid.net/2019/06/27/tcl-...sung-a-series/
    06-27-19 12:43 AM
    I do not think BlackBerry fits into their long term plans except as a niche product. Maybe not even that.

Then again , they might try to reinvent BlackBerry too.
    06-27-19 01:27 AM
    I could be wrong but I get the feeling that Chuck’s view might be that Tim Cook / Apple are a not in favour of the trade war and therefore operating against USA interests.
    Sorry to disagree with you there but the trade war is definitely against United States interests it could bring serious economic issues on from the United States including it's inability to get resources
    06-27-19 03:09 AM
    They will have to adapt. Apple will have to do what they did before and offer cheaper yet competitive versions of the iPhone.

They will approach this the way they did iPod, I believe. When they announced the iPod Shuffle they were very aware of the fact that their lunch was being eaten by low end MP3 players, and they released the Shuffle and the Nano, which absolutely obliterated their competitors.

What Apple have got going for them is the iOS ecosystem , where devices can be supported for up to 5 years of Security and OS updates, the iPhone 6/6 Plus were released in 2014 and are only losing support now in 2019 at iOS 12.3.1, an update that made all phones faster and smoother.

They also have incredible hardware that is about a generation ahead of competitors, the Apple A11 Bionic released in 2017 is still competitive with the 2019 flagships, and the A12 Bionic released in 2018 is outperforming the 2019 stuff, managing to run 60FPS games without dropping frames and record 4K@60FPS video without limit, that is what the low end iPhone XR is capable of.

Apple can release some low ends with the A11 Bionic and Mid ends with the A12 Bionic, 2-3GB RAM, throw in some good 1080P Displays and Dual Camera with 2x Zoom and Fingerprint Scanner/TouchID (less expensive), and they could easily dominate and keep those devices updated until 2024.

We should see an updated XR and SE models this year, but at the same time, Apple do still take the lions share of mobile markets profits despite less shipments, due to their ASP being almost double Samsung’s and Huawei’s, so for Apple it will be more of a situation of ensuring they continue to maintain steady profits from hardware while getting more money in software (subscriptions and content).

Let’s not forget that Apple are not having an issue of people leaving iPhone, it’s more an issue of people keeping their iPhones longer, hence Apple have also done a Battery Replacement program, as time goes by, Apple will have steady fluctuations of people buying and steady drops as those people keep those devices for 2-3years thanks to the great support and batter program, so they just need to ensure they keep supplying good reasons to spend with them on Apple Music, App Store, iCloud, Apple TV and now the Apple Credit Card to. Won’t be surprised if Apple try to make iMessage more of a WeChat type of system where people with Apple Cards can send cash, pay bills, manage identity documents etc.... this could explain their focus on security to.
    And here is probably the best argument of all to keep her family on decent Android equipment costs a lot more and keeping her family on decent apple equipment.

Android security rarely gets to the 3-year mark.

IPhone currently supports all 64-bit iPhones write the way back to 5s. That's pushing the 7-year Mark and some of the iPads are even longer
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-27-19 03:19 AM
    I do not think BlackBerry fits into their long term plans except as a niche product. Maybe not even that.

Then again , they might try to reinvent BlackBerry too.
    Well at least they have a slide that shows BlackBerry as part of their plans... that's at least something, as things were looking like it might be over.
    06-27-19 07:11 AM
    Sorry to disagree with you there but the trade war is definitely against United States interests it could bring serious economic issues on from the United States including it's inability to get resources
    That's not what he was talking about.
    06-27-19 08:09 AM
    And here is probably the best argument of all to keep her family on decent Android equipment costs a lot more and keeping her family on decent apple equipment.

Android security rarely gets to the 3-year mark.

IPhone currently supports all 64-bit iPhones write the way back to 5s. That's pushing the 7-year Mark and some of the iPads are even longer
    Absolutely! My iPad Air 2 is now 5 years old (released in 2014) and yet it is receiving iOS 13/iPadOS, I have actually loaded the Public Beta on my Air 2 and despite being 5 year old hardware it STILL runs well. How many phones and tablets on Android from 2014 are still receiving Security Updates let alone OS updates?

The Google Nexus 6 which was released in 2014 lost update support at Android 7 Nougat in 2017.

Apple have an incredible thing going with iOS/iPadOS, I know I can have my iPhone XS Max for the next 2 years and I WILL get updates along with every other XS Max on the same day, no need to wait for carrier nonsense or regional nonsense, Apple release it, I get it.

I will be shocked if Apple continue to support the iPad Air 2 in 2020, but the way things are looking, I may only replace my iPad in 2021. by that time most Androids that came out in 2018 will be forgotten by their OEMs in terms of updates. The iPhone XS Max will probably get updates up until 2023/2024, by that time, Androids that released in 2020 will be forgotten, lol.
    06-27-19 09:44 AM
    Absolutely! My iPad Air 2 is now 5 years old (released in 2014) and yet it is receiving iOS 13/iPadOS, I have actually loaded the Public Beta on my Air 2 and despite being 5 year old hardware it STILL runs well. How many phones and tablets on Android from 2014 are still receiving Security Updates let alone OS updates?

The Google Nexus 6 which was released in 2014 lost update support at Android 7 Nougat in 2017.

Apple have an incredible thing going with iOS/iPadOS, I know I can have my iPhone XS Max for the next 2 years and I WILL get updates along with every other XS Max on the same day, no need to wait for carrier nonsense or regional nonsense, Apple release it, I get it.

I will be shocked if Apple continue to support the iPad Air 2 in 2020, but the way things are looking, I may only replace my iPad in 2021. by that time most Androids that came out in 2018 will be forgotten by their OEMs in terms of updates. The iPhone XS Max will probably get updates up until 2023/2024, by that time, Androids that released in 2020 will be forgotten, lol.
    Yes and no. Apple should guarantee two years of from when they stopped selling the devices on their web site.

I have an iPhone 6 purchased at a discount from a Carrier 22 months ago. My concern is the apps . I guess the best strategy might be to freeze the phone and not accept app updates.
    06-27-19 11:25 AM
    Yes and no. Apple should guarantee two years of from when they stopped selling the devices on their web site.

I have an iPhone 6 purchased at a discount from a Carrier 22 months ago. My concern is the apps . I guess the best strategy might be to freeze the phone and not accept app updates.
    Never really run across someone that has found an iOS App not compatible. That would seem to be a developer issue if they aren't targeting the hardware that could run their apps... Just like with Android if your phone doesn't qualify for one of the "checks" it shouldn't get the update.

iPhone 6 production ended in late 2016, how long Apple sold it official, or how long some carrier offered it.... I have no clue. But while sales date would be nice, it's just not what anyone does. Heck look at BBMo selling the KEYone via their official channels...
    06-27-19 11:50 AM
    If you buy an iPhone 6s today you can but do not expect iOS 14.

We went through this with the 5 . Some apps tried to update and you couldn’t.

You receive an error message and if you continue you may have difficulty in getting the old app back.

That why I will just lock down the phone.
    06-27-19 12:49 PM
    If you buy an iPhone 6s today you can but do not expect iOS 14.

We went through this with the 5 . Some apps tried to update and you couldn’t.

You receive an error message and if you continue you may have difficulty in getting the old app back.

That why I will just lock down the phone.
    iPhone 6S will probably get iOS 14 but not iOS15.

The iPhone 6 had 1GB RAM, Apple have stopped supporting all the iOS devices with 1GB RAM which are all about 5 years old now, so it makes sense.

Anyway, the fact remains, Apple are unparalleled in smartphones and tablets in terms of Security and OS Update support.
    06-27-19 04:19 PM
    Anyway, the fact remains, Apple are unparalleled in smartphones and tablets in terms of Security and OS Update support.
    Can't ever argue with that
    06-27-19 05:48 PM
    I will note that my Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 from October '14 on KitKat 4.4 still runs Netflix, Amazon Prime and pretty much any Android app I have ever wanted to use on it. the last Security Patch was Jan '17 but I only download from PlayStore so think I am relatively safe. I don't do any financial transactions or such so I use it to watch movies and read.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-30-19 11:12 PM
74 123