I think you're wrong. I think handsets are a big part of their future plans. Do they have a plan B? Probably. I would guess what you said is a plan B rather than the current course of action. Without handsets, they don't have an end to end security model. What are they going to sell the DoD? Or the likes of Obama and Merkel? Software for iPhone or Android? That doesn't fly, we all know that. I think they've trimmed down to where they feel they need to be to survive as a niche player and their focus is to attack the niches they want to play in, handsets included.
    I completely agree here. BlackBerry should WANT to keep handsets, even if it's only just a few so to speak, instead of a lot. This would ensure end-to-end solutions that even bigger companies like samsung and apple can't add.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    08-19-14 10:34 PM
    I completely agree here. BlackBerry should WANT to keep handsets, even if it's only just a few so to speak, instead of a lot. This would ensure end-to-end solutions that even bigger companies like samsung and apple can't add.
    Unless, of course, there is a strong partnership between companies on either end of an integrated end-to-end solution. Enterprise customers are extremely familiar with this dynamic. You can purchase an end-to-end solution which is tied to a particular hardware and its associated restrictions or you can opt for a package which is offered by a leading software company and leading hardware company partnered together or at least integrated by one or the other. That's something that Blackberry can't offer.
    08-19-14 11:02 PM
    If they can be profitable at it, BlackBerry will stay in the handset business. If they continue to lose money, they will be forced to exit.

It really is that simple, and nobody knows for sure what will happen.

The Passport was a risk that I hope pays off. But I think the Classic is BlackBerry's make-or-break device. The Classic is supposed to entice all the legacy BB diehards to BB10. If it fails, then BB's handset business fails with it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-19-14 11:05 PM
    Anything Apple copies and claims they created . That's innovative :-))

Posted via CB10
    Honestly this is as old as people saying Blackberry is dead. The Apple bashers here really need some new material.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-14 06:30 AM
    Unless, of course, there is a strong partnership between companies on either end of an integrated end-to-end solution. Enterprise customers are extremely familiar with this dynamic. You can purchase an end-to-end solution which is tied to a particular hardware and its associated restrictions or you can opt for a package which is offered by a leading software company and leading hardware company partnered together or at least integrated by one or the other. That's something that Blackberry can't offer.
    Sure, that would work for a lot of companies, but for some, like DoD, the other hardware out there isn't good enough. There will always be a market, small though it may be, for BB10 Hardware. If no one else is buying it, it might get more expensive, or more likely, I think they would licence BB10 to another hardware company, like Nokia, in which case we should still be able to get our hands on it. The world needs BB10.
    08-20-14 06:45 AM
    Yes, pricing is key and I fully agree that it better not be through the roof. It is not just the average consumer that hates to pay top dollar for hardware. BlackBerry has a real opportunity to make a bit of a splash with the passport, especially when accompanied with the introduction of blend (simply light years ahead of any other platform).

Further, I think people need to get over the idea that the passport is only for enterprise. It maybe productivity focused but that is by no means a attribute limited to the corporate world. There is a wider audience and I suspect that Chen is just low balling expectations a bit.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    What solutions? Why couldn't Samsung and Apple add them?
    08-20-14 07:24 AM
    Honestly this is as old as people saying Blackberry is dead. The Apple bashers here really need some new material.

What we don't understand is why BlackBerry bashers keep bothering in BlackBerry fansite.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-20-14 07:26 AM
    If they can be profitable at it, BlackBerry will stay in the handset business. If they continue to lose money, they will be forced to exit.

It really is that simple, and nobody knows for sure what will happen.

The Passport was a risk that I hope pays off. But I think the Classic is BlackBerry's make-or-break device. The Classic is supposed to entice all the legacy BB diehards to BB10. If it fails, then BB's handset business fails with it.

That's the WHOLE point... if BlackBerry continues to lose money on hardware, then they can't stay in the hardware business.

I REALLY don't know what the Passport is.... Medical Device, Joke gone too far,

But the Classic, it is a Classic BlackBerry. Wouldn't be surprise if BlackBerry sells it for $599. One way or another they have to increase profits. The consumer market is lost to them - they are never going to be able to compete on a Spec & Price basis, and now it's apparent they will never have the ecosystem that consumers want. But regulated enterprise... they can give them what they want. They just have to do it in a way that makes BlackBerry profits..... low end devices with high markup.

I think there are very few "diehards" that are holding a BBOS device by choice... outside of the enterprise world and developing markets. BES12 and the EZPASS program are what will bring any remaining BBOS device holders to BB10. The device will be what ever BlackBerry has at the time that fits their budget.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-14 07:52 AM
    I think there are very few "diehards" that are holding a BBOS device by choice... outside of the enterprise world and developing markets. BES12 and the EZPASS program are what will bring any remaining BBOS device holders to BB10. The device will be what ever BlackBerry has at the time that fits their budget.
    I think you'd be surprised at how many people still use legacy BB devices because they want to, not because they have to.

I'm one of them.

JeepBB and spikesolie like this.
    08-20-14 08:06 AM
    BB the company isn't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon.

But BB the handset maker's future is very questionable.

Right now, Chen and BB need BB handsets, because they're the only ones that really work well with BES and BBM, which are two of the services that BB is carrying forward. But Chen has BB hard at work making these services work well on the other platforms, and when that mission is reasonably well accomplished (i.e., not long after the release of BES12 and protected BBM), Chen's need for BB handsets to grow the Software and Services business will be greatly diminished, and given that handsets haven't been profitable for more than 2 years already, and that none of the phones being released are likely to sell in huge numbers (remember: they're targeted at the Enterprise market, so there will be little if any consumer advertising, and there is already very limited carrier support), it's very conceivable that the plug will be pulled on BB10 handsets at some point next year. That's especially true if sales run under 10M per year, which is Chen's own threshold for making any kind of profit off of them.

Make no mistake: in the new BB, handsets are a means to an end, which is: selling companies on BB's Software and Services. Selling handsets used to be an end to itself, but no longer, and once the S&S business no longer needs BB handsets to sell, I believe Chen will cut them loose to prevent them from further dragging down profits.

That's good news for BB stockholders, but bad news for fans of BB handsets.
    Nailed it. 100% correct. BlackBerry will be an enterprise security mdm software player. Their services will go cross-platform. But the handsets are an endangered species so to speak. My uncle works for Sprint. Back in 2010 he was the BlackBerry technician for one of sprint's busiest stores in North America. Now he doesn't even know that a Passport model is coming. He's completely on Android now. it's not about bashing BlackBerry. The company will go on. The handsets sadly will not...the worst part is the lack of carrier support. Who would want to get a bunch of blackberries for their family or even say small business employees if the average person can't walk into a verizon store for support/accesories. Everything is "go online". And committing for 2 whole years on contract?! It's just better to go with a more prevalent company.

Was just thinking this the other day. I have said it before and I will say it again. I almost never see people with blackberries in their hands anymore. It's like spotting a vintage 1992 Volvo 240 in the road. "Wow remember those?". That's the reaction I get virtually everywhere I go in nyc with BlackBerry especially when it's with anyone under 35 years of age.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-14 08:07 AM
    What we don't understand is why BlackBerry bashers keep bothering in BlackBerry fansite.
    I find Blackberry an interesting company and nobody bothers talking about Blackberry on any of the other MobileNations site.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-14 09:08 AM
    I find Blackberry an interesting company and nobody bothers talking about Blackberry on any of the other MobileNations site.
    A year ago people would actively engage me in discussing the relative strengths vs. Weaknesses of a blackberry compared to an iphone/android device. Now? Nope. They don't even consider it a player. To me everything rests on if BlackBerry can hit that 10 million in sales Chen is aiming for. But I'm gonna skip the next upgrade on my contract and go for an iphone instead. I do however want to see if BlackBerry's handset division is around making compelling devices in 2 years when my next upgrade would be.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-14 09:30 AM
    I know it has been said a thousand times, but so frustrating that nobody knows how good the BlackBerry OS is. My partner has a Galaxy S4 and seeing her have to press so many buttons to do anything or the pain watching her type a text or email. Sitting in a coffee shop typing this and watching an iPhone user type an email next to me and it is painful.

Just got my family switched on to BBM and they love it but they won't consider BlackBerry, even though they all agree it is more efficient as they don't see the phones in the shops anymore. Been in all the network shops today and not one BlackBerry on show anywhere. Very sad, if it was a poor system fair enough, but it is not, it works but nobody knows about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 12:40 PM
    I know it has been said a thousand times, but so frustrating that nobody knows how good the BlackBerry OS is. My partner has a Galaxy S4 and seeing her have to press so many buttons to do anything or the pain watching her type a text or email. Sitting in a coffee shop typing this and watching an iPhone user type an email next to me and it is painful.

Just got my family switched on to BBM and they love it but they won't consider BlackBerry, even though they all agree it is more efficient as they don't see the phones in the shops anymore. Been in all the network shops today and not one BlackBerry on show anywhere. Very sad, if it was a poor system fair enough, but it is not, it works but nobody knows about it.

Posted via CB10
    "Good enough" is why iphone and android rule. It satisfies the needs of the many. BlackBerry satisfies the needs of the few. Do the math. Anyway. I'm happy to hear a new Porsche design qwerty is coming. Now THAT I would buy. Just for the aesthetics.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 01:28 PM
    You keep spreading same lies or your own opinions around. Who do you think you are, somebody that can predict future? BlackBerry is busy on innovation of new phones to make people more productive and efficient and people are seeing that obviously. You still keep hammering with same lies on each of these kinds of thread.

Posted via CB10
    We have a likes option and a thanks option but not a trash option. Maybe the next CB update.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and Playbook007 like this.
    08-20-14 01:50 PM
    "Good enough" is why iphone and android rule. It satisfies the needs of the many.*
    * If you want apps, then BB10 or Amazon Appstore is going to have to be good enough.
    08-20-14 01:54 PM
    Well Chen set the bar pretty low... Stated he was looking for 10 million per year... if they cannot do at least that... they should not be in the hardware business in the first place....
    He said BlackBerry could be profitable at 10 million a year, and that's probably not an unreasonable figure, either. They sold 1.5 million last quarter, and the Z3 hadn't even started selling in any great numbers yet. With any luck at all we'll see sales up around the 3 million per quarter rate by the end of calendar 2014.
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    08-20-14 01:59 PM
    I have a lot of faith in the passport. I believe it will sell very well. The specs are superior to apple 6, and anything Samsung will produce in September.
    Oh really? Because we know exactly what the iPhone 6 is going to have in it, right?

The Passport will have high end specs. Whether they are superior to what Apple will put out is yet to be seen. We'll find out next month.

Specs do sell, but apps sell even more.
    08-20-14 02:02 PM
    "Good enough" is why iphone and android rule. It satisfies the needs of the many. BlackBerry satisfies the needs of the few. Do the math. Anyway. I'm happy to hear a new Porsche design qwerty is coming. Now THAT I would buy. Just for the aesthetics.

Posted via CB10
    Does it? Those who want a all touch BlackBerry device that has 1080p, fastest processor, long lasting removable yet reliable battery ,an iPhone quality camera, narrow bezels, light weight and great looks with a quality build must look elsewhere.

They need a "good enough " phone to reach their 10 million a year goal. It could be that the Passport Is that phone that puts BlackBerry over the top.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-20-14 at 02:16 PM.
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-20-14 02:06 PM
    Does it? Those who want a all touch BlackBerry device that has 1080p, fastest processor, long lasting removable yet reliable battery ,an iPhone quality camera, narrow bezels, light weight and great looks with a quality build must look elsewhere.
    They have to cater to their core market first as they rebuild, and it's not phablet fans.
    08-20-14 02:22 PM
    I hope BB have a plan B on the "app" problem. They closed the app gap by "SIDELOADING" apps and now with Amazon App store. Fine. But then?

What about in 2015 when 3 new devices comes out? Should they all preloaded with ANDROID apps?? "Hell, why shall we better our calendar app? Let them download the Android one from Amazon? LULZ!" Soon, there will be no more BB OS. Why? If we all like ANDROID apps, why not completely moving into Android OS???

I hope Chen comes up with a power incentive for developers if they make native apps for BB. It is important for the longterm.

I hope native apps comes back soon! No SIDELOADING crap or Amazon App store. Real BlackBerry native apps! This is the BlackBerry experience! I hate 50 50 , or half-a$$ed solutions. Why would I buy a BlackBerry if you can only use it with pathetic Android Robot apps??? Get an Android smartphone then.
    08-20-14 02:25 PM
    Pathetic robot Android apps? Too funny.. what are the iOS apps then? Pathetic little girly apps?

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    08-20-14 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more. Maybe the answer is to not bash any platform?

Playbook007 likes this.
    08-20-14 04:40 PM
    Couldn't agree more. Maybe the answer is to not bash any platform?

So is everyone at imore and android central respectful off other platforms too?

Differentiate or Die
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    08-20-14 10:28 PM
56 123