What is the difference between the storm 1 and the storm 2?? I am looking at a 9530
    - Double the app memory and on-board memory
    - Newer OS versions (Storm1 never gets leaks or OS updates anymore)
    - Piezo technology that improves SurePress
    - Slightly faster
    - Wifi
    - Speaker no longer on the bottom (big deal for me, heh)
    - Screen is more solid and doesn't jiggle around as much, along with the bottom four buttons being incorporated with the main screen, resulting in less dust and debris getting into cracks
    - Improved side buttons

Yeah, you'll only get EDGE on it in NA, but like the others said, EDGE isn't that bad. However, I find that I cannot stream video with it. Half the time playing the video is spent buffering for me. Maybe I don't get as strong of a connection, I don't know.
    04-05-10 12:27 PM
    More input on 3G vs EDGE please

Thanks
    04-07-10 04:29 PM
    04-07-10 06:32 PM
    04-07-10 07:25 PM
    Boy oh Boy, Crackberry HELP!!!
    04-07-10 07:48 PM
    No need to put 4 posts there man.

EDGE is alright in most cases. In the browser, it's okay and Opera Mini makes EDGE feel pretty quick. Google Maps is serviceable with EDGE. It doesn't load really quick but it loads quick enough to show the maps for my directions. Pandora on the other hand makes me want to throw my 8900 throw the window. I either get audio quality that's **** or I get HQ, but it's always buffering like RealPlayer.

To sum it up, EDGE is fine with the exception of Pandora. Also, don't get the Storm 1 because the Storm 1 sucked. I personally advise you to not get any Storm, but it's your money. Get a 9700 so you can have 3G and amazing battery life too.
    04-07-10 10:14 PM

EDGE is alright in most cases. In the browser, it's okay and Opera Mini makes EDGE feel pretty quick. Google Maps is serviceable with EDGE. It doesn't load really quick but it loads quick enough to show the maps for my directions. Pandora on the other hand makes me want to throw my 8900 throw the window. I either get audio quality that's **** or I get HQ, but it's always buffering like RealPlayer.

To sum it up, EDGE is fine with the exception of Pandora. Also, don't get the Storm 1 because the Storm 1 sucked. I personally advise you to not get any Storm, but it's your money. Get a 9700 so you can have 3G and amazing battery life too.
    I thought about that but I really want another touch screen
    04-07-10 11:41 PM
    it seems pretty obvious you have already sold yourself on getting a touchscreen over a regular phone. if you want it that bad, just do it. if you can live without a touchscreen, then get the 9700.
    04-07-10 11:54 PM
    it seems pretty obvious you have already sold yourself on getting a touchscreen over a regular phone. if you want it that bad, just do it. if you can live without a touchscreen, then get the 9700.
    I'll most likely wind up spending the money on a storm 2.
    If I get one that's not unlocked, how difficult is it to do that, and make is so I can use everything on it?
    04-08-10 12:04 AM
    Get a 9700 and a 3rd-gen iPod touch to satisfy the touchscreen and apps impulse.

Unless you absolutely have to have a touchscreen AND a BlackBerry in one package, then don't get a Storm. In your case, you'd be best off getting an iPhone or a Nexus One for a touchscreen phone or the aforementioned 9700 + iPod touch combo. The Storm 1/2 blows in comparison to actual touchscreen phones.
    04-08-10 12:55 AM
    Im actually in the same boat as you. Im on ATT with a 8900 but have been looking for a storm 2 as of late. Im not even on EDGE but have edge. edge actually does fine with messaging and emails and with Bolt it does web browsing fine too.
    04-08-10 02:22 AM
    I'm on Orange I have a 8520 and I'm always on GPRS + never been on EDGE .
    Is it any good ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 04:36 AM
    Get a 9700 and a 3rd-gen iPod touch to satisfy the touchscreen and apps impulse.
    I have a 9000 and a 1st Gen iPod Touch. The iPod is great for music and Apps, but I hate it other wise. If you like BB's OS, the Touch isn't enough. I'm getting an S2 in 7 days, also. (AT&T user)

I dont remember the exact download speed but EDGE is around 0.250 and 3G is 3.2... A lot faster!
    I don't think most places will even comes close to 3.2MB. I know speed test isn't accurate, but i usually get around that 250kb, for EDGE, that you listed and around 800kb-1300kb for 3G.

To the OP. If you have decent Edge in your area and you can get Wifi, I say go for it. If you read my other post, you can see Edge is capable of streaming alot of things and able to give you fast browsing with Bolt or Opera.

If you have High Speed internet at home, spend the $40-80 and get a router to enjoy some fast Wifi at home. It will be worth it.
    04-08-10 07:33 AM
    I have a 9000 and a 1st Gen iPod Touch. The iPod is great for music and Apps, but I hate it other wise. If you like BB's OS, the Touch isn't enough. I'm getting an S2 in 7 days, also. (AT&T user)

I don't think most places will even comes close to 3.2MB. I know speed test isn't accurate, but i usually get around that 250kb, for EDGE, that you listed and around 800kb-1300kb for 3G.

To the OP. If you have decent Edge in your area and you can get Wifi, I say go for it. If you read my other post, you can see Edge is capable of streaming alot of things and able to give you fast browsing with Bolt or Opera.

If you have High Speed internet at home, spend the $40-80 and get a router to enjoy some fast Wifi at home. It will be worth it.
    I've got Wireless at home, I have a router, I can connect to WiFi with the Storm 2 if I got it.
    Only thing is I can get a 9700 off ebay because I'm ready for an upgrade for only 9.99, but if I got a storm 2 i'm looking at about 330.00 - 350.00 for a new storm 2 on ebay. Idk if that's worth it for just a phone, I mean I want it really bad and i've wanted it really bad since the storm 1 came out.
    But I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on a cell phone.

You said your getting a S2 in 7 days, did you buy one from ebay or off a site? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Jon
    04-08-10 12:41 PM

Unless you absolutely have to have a touchscreen AND a BlackBerry in one package, then don't get a Storm. In your case, you'd be best off getting an iPhone or a Nexus One for a touchscreen phone or the aforementioned 9700 + iPod touch combo. The Storm 1/2 blows in comparison to actual touchscreen phones.
    I want my phone to be touch screen, not something I listen to music on.
    I use my phone as an ipod, my current phone samsung eternity is my ipod.

Only reason why I am stressing to get a S2 is because the touch screen on it, I love the fact that you actually have to click it rather then just tap it.
    That's what sealed the deal for me and not to mention how sexy it looks.
    04-08-10 12:44 PM
    I want my phone to be touch screen, not something I listen to music on.
    I use my phone as an ipod, my current phone samsung eternity is my ipod.

Only reason why I am stressing to get a S2 is because the touch screen on it, I love the fact that you actually have to click it rather then just tap it.
    That's what sealed the deal for me and not to mention how sexy it looks.
    Okay, then buy an iPhone or Nexus One. I like to buy products that are worth my money. The Storm is a waste of money. Oh well, it's your money not mine.
    04-08-10 02:53 PM
    I've got Wireless at home, I have a router, I can connect to WiFi with the Storm 2 if I got it.
    Only thing is I can get a 9700 off ebay because I'm ready for an upgrade for only 9.99, but if I got a storm 2 i'm looking at about 330.00 - 350.00 for a new storm 2 on ebay. Idk if that's worth it for just a phone, I mean I want it really bad and i've wanted it really bad since the storm 1 came out.
    But I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on a cell phone.

You said your getting a S2 in 7 days, did you buy one from ebay or off a site? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Jon
    I am planning on getting it from Verizon. If something goes wrong, I want to be able to take it in to them and exchange it. So basically, full price. If you know of any better way, that has some kind of legit warranty, let me know! . I have thought about this CB store too, looks like a 3rd Party warranty and I don't even know if the warranty covers those without getting a contract. I didn't really read it. I wish RIM had their own store, even if it was full price...
    04-08-10 03:17 PM

My Pandora works fine on my 9700 on EDGE through T-Mobile, just need an area you have at least 3 bars. If it goes down to 2, it buffers, but usually works as I have decent coverage in most areas.

OP, for me I don't notice any difference in 3G from EDGE as I pick up 3G in certain areas, but usually EDGE and seems around the same speed to me.

04-08-10 04:06 PM
    By the way you would be out of your mind if you didn't get the 9700 over the Storm2, especially for that price. Most consider the 9700 the BB flagship for now...and IMO better than the Storms. Oh and it is a 3G phone.

04-08-10 04:12 PM
    By the way you would be out of your mind if you didn't get the 9700 over the Storm2, especially for that price. Most consider the 9700 the BB flagship for now...and IMO better than the Storms. Oh and it is a 3G phone.

I know I consider myself crazy as well.
    But I like the touch screen and if I am going to be using it all the time then why not get what I want??

As long as there is a warranty with the phone.
    04-08-10 04:17 PM
    I guess if you havew money burning through your pocket, then have at it...me I could think of a 1000 other things to do with 320 some dollars...like the main one, feeding the kiddos.

04-08-10 04:21 PM
    I guess if you havew money burning through your pocket, then have at it...me I could think of a 1000 other things to do with 320 some dollars...like the main one, feeding the kiddos.

Well I don't have any kiddos and I am 19. So not so many bills as well

Trust me it's not burning through my pocket, but if i'm going to use something everyday of my life why not get something I want?
    04-08-10 04:49 PM
    My Pandora works fine on my 9700 on EDGE through T-Mobile, just need an area you have at least 3 bars. If it goes down to 2, it buffers, but usually works as I have decent coverage in most areas.

OP, for me I don't notice any difference in 3G from EDGE as I pick up 3G in certain areas, but usually EDGE and seems around the same speed to me.

The difference is sound quality. It sounds pretty bad over EDGE. The bitrate is somewhere around of a low-quality MP3 (<128kbps.) This is compared to the 3G/Wi-Fi quality of 192 kbps MP3 which is great.

b00kin, if I had $325 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted a touchscreen phone, I'd get an iPhone 3GS. If you don't like the 3GS, resell it to get your Storm 2. You'll get more than enough to cover the difference between what you paid for it.
    04-08-10 05:39 PM
    The difference is sound quality. It sounds pretty bad over EDGE. The bitrate is somewhere around of a low-quality MP3 (<128kbps.) This is compared to the 3G/Wi-Fi quality of 192 kbps MP3 which is great.

b00kin, if I had $325 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted a touchscreen phone, I'd get an iPhone 3GS. If you don't like the 3GS, resell it to get your Storm 2. You'll get more than enough to cover the difference between what you paid for it.
    Hmmm not a bad idea not a bad idea at all.
    I think I might do that, buy the iPhone 3GS sell it on eBay not use it sell it Brand New then buy a Storm 2 and HAVE MORE MONEY LEFT.

Thank you godzilla.
    04-08-10 06:06 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD