Not long ago I didn't want to pay for a Data Plan, I currently have AT&T.
    But decided to bite the bullet and pay for it.
    But I really want a Storm 2, and was wondering if I got one.
    How is the EDGE network compared to 3g?
    I understand there is a difference between Edge and EDGE, but can you explain the difference

Is it worth getting a phone unlocked and using GSM/EDGE w.e it would use, compared to getting a phone from AT&T and using there 3G network??

So basic question, GSM/EDGE vs 3G.
    Is there a significant difference between, what I would be using if I got the storm 2 unlocked and used it on AT&T to a phone from AT&T using 3G?
    04-04-10 07:04 PM
    Wow does this sum up the answer to my question?

iPhone 3G vs EDGE on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    04-04-10 07:06 PM
    I go on these forums with edge and its pretty good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 07:26 PM
    Im on EDGE here, about 30 miles from 3G coverage and its fine. When Im at home I use wifi to connect to my DSL router so its really fast at home. EDGE is about 30% slower than 3G, but still pretty fast.
    04-04-10 07:37 PM
    i find that using EDGE instead of 3G is just fine. the only time you will really see a speed difference is if you are tethering.

the difference between "edge" and "EDGE" just means either you are or arent connected to Blackberry data. all caps means your connected.
    04-04-10 07:44 PM
    I use EDGE with my 8520 and its fast. Never used 3g before but EDGE is fast. I have used EDGE for about four years now and its been good to me its a lot faster than my AOL lol

Last edited by markaveli420; 04-04-10 at 08:06 PM.
    04-04-10 08:03 PM
    edge is barely slower than 3g, btw that iphone vid is BS
    04-04-10 08:15 PM
    Is there any video comparisons such as the one I posted but with more logic to it?

I'm worried about screwing myself, by purchasing a storm and using EDGE, when I could have got a phone with 3G.

What does the speed difference effect? Just Data use like internet and email?
    04-04-10 09:07 PM
    Is there any video comparisons such as the one I posted but with more logic to it?

I'm worried about screwing myself, by purchasing a storm and using EDGE, when I could have got a phone with 3G.

What does the speed difference effect? Just Data use like internet and email?
    speed effects anything that uses data. i will see data speeds between 1000 and 2000 kbits/sec on 3G (sometimes way higher and way lower) and usually 500 kbits and under on EDGE. speeds will vary depending on network conditions though and will be different for everyone.
    04-04-10 09:15 PM
    speed effects anything that uses data. i will see data speeds between 1000 and 2000 kbits/sec on 3G (sometimes way higher and way lower) and usually 500 kbits and under on EDGE. speeds will vary depending on network conditions though and will be different for everyone.
    So in your opinion if you could get an aT&T 3g phone or an EDGE phone such as storm 2 unlocked and use EDGE on it.
    What would you do?
    I just want to make sure I am not disappointed after using an EDGE and it being slow then kicking myself in the arse because I could have got a 3G phone.
    04-04-10 09:18 PM
    Edge is alright. It's not going to kill you if you go on mobile websites. For larger websites, Opera Mini loads them up just fine without 3G. In fact, I don't even have Opera Mini anymore (saving memory space).

Edge will also save your battery life compared to HSPA.

By the way, I'm using a Storm on Rogers (GSM) as well.
    04-04-10 09:19 PM
    So in your opinion if you could get an aT&T 3g phone or an EDGE phone such as storm 2 unlocked and use EDGE on it.
    What would you do?
    I just want to make sure I am not disappointed after using an EDGE and it being slow then kicking myself in the arse because I could have got a 3G phone.
    i was perfectly content on my Curve 8900 on EDGE only. the 9700 is my first 3G phone that i actually kept on 3G fulltime. so personally, ive never minded the speeds on EDGE. some people need to use data while on a phone call. this is something that EDGE devices cannot do unless they are currently connected to wifi as well. if you can live without data (mms, internet, BBMs) not coming through while you are on the phone, then enjoy EDGE. if thats necessary and you arent going to be in a wifi area, then get a 3G device.
    04-04-10 09:21 PM
    Edge is alright. It's not going to kill you if you go on mobile websites. For larger websites, Opera Mini loads them up just fine without 3G. In fact, I don't even have Opera Mini anymore (saving memory space).

Edge will also save your battery life compared to HSPA.

By the way, I'm using a Storm on Rogers (GSM) as well.
    I'm not to worried about speed I just don't want it to take minutes to load a page.

i was perfectly content on my Curve 8900 on EDGE only. the 9700 is my first 3G phone that i actually kept on 3G fulltime. so personally, ive never minded the speeds on EDGE. some people need to use data while on a phone call. this is something that EDGE devices cannot do unless they are currently connected to wifi as well. if you can live without data (mms, internet, BBMs) not coming through while you are on the phone, then enjoy EDGE. if thats necessary and you arent going to be in a wifi area, then get a 3G device.
    That's not the case at all, I am not a business guy lol I do not wear a tux to work nor do I sit in a comfortable chair the majority of my day.
    So I wont even need to do that, the only reason for me posting this thread is because I just don't want a phone that takes minutes to load a page.
    I don't use the internet or email 24/7 on my phone, I normally just use it to check email and manage the little business I have going.
    So if I can do that, and not take forever minutes for me to post something in a thread then i'll be fine with EDGE.

I guess if worse comes to worse and I don't like the EDGE I can always sell the storm 2 I get and get an AT&T 3G. Buying a phone off ebay wont count as an upgrade will it? I am due for an upgrade, but if I buy a phone from ebay and put my sim in it will it count towards an upgrade??

Thanks everyone
    04-04-10 09:35 PM
    I'm not to worried about speed I just don't want it to take minutes to load a page. So if I can do that, and not take forever minutes for me to post something in a thread then i'll be fine with EDGE.

I guess if worse comes to worse and I don't like the EDGE I can always sell the storm 2 I get and get an AT&T 3G. Buying a phone off ebay wont count as an upgrade will it? I am due for an upgrade, but if I buy a phone from ebay and put my sim in it will it count towards an upgrade??

Thanks everyone
    pages take just as long to load on 3G as they do on EDGE for the most part. and buying a phone or ebay or anywhere else, wont count as an upgrade. only if you buy the phone direct from at&t and they apply it as an upgrade with upgrade tiered pricing.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-04-10 at 10:18 PM.
    04-04-10 09:49 PM
    pages take just as long to load on 3G as they do on EDGE for the most part. and buying a phone or ebay or anywhere else, wont count as an upgrade. only if you buy the phone direct from at&t and they apply it as an upgrade with upgrade tiered pricing.
    Ok now.
    Do you know what a good price would be for a new blackberry storm 2??
    04-04-10 09:58 PM
    Ok now.
    Do you know what a good price would be for a new blackberry storm 2??
    nope. look in the marketplace forums for what the average going rate is.
    04-04-10 10:21 PM
    I dont remember the exact download speed but EDGE is around 0.250 and 3G is 3.2... A lot faster!
    04-04-10 10:24 PM
    nope. look in the marketplace forums for what the average going rate is.
    What is the difference between the storm 1 and the storm 2?? I am looking at a 9530
    04-04-10 10:29 PM
    The Storm2 has twice as much device memory as the Storm1.

Another thing you might want to consider is that you cannot use voice/data simultaneously on EDGE. If you are in a 3G area and have a 3G device, voice and data will work simultaneously.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-04-10 10:46 PM
    What is the difference between the storm 1 and the storm 2?? I am looking at a 9530
    honestly dude, check on phonescoop.com or wikipedia and compare the two. a little of your own research can go a long way.

before i buy a phone i do the following...

1.) look it up online
    2.) check all the stats about them, what they come with.
    3.) read their respective forums for anything i should be aware of.
    4.) side by side comparision to other like devices.
    5.) go on youtube and look for video reviews.

i dont like, own or know much about the storms. your best bet is doing your own reading here (in the Storm forum) and other sites and coming to a conclusion about the devices and which one fits you best.
    04-04-10 10:55 PM
    Doesn't the GSM frequencies built into the Tour/Storm 2 hit 3G frequencies of AT&T?
    04-05-10 02:58 AM
    Doesn't the GSM frequencies built into the Tour/Storm 2 hit 3G frequencies of AT&T?
    no, they have 2100mhz only for overseas 3G only. they do however cover all 4 normal GSM bands for EDGE coverage (850, 900, 1800, 1900)
    04-05-10 03:04 AM
    EDGE how is it? well, i have t-mobile uk 8520, which is EDGE... but t-mobile uk don't have EDGE ... bit naughty of them to be selling EDGE handsets really

i did do my homework beforehand & i'm fine with GPRS (use a 3g dongle for laptop). most of the time i get signal but in some places it's worse than my previous phones.

EDGE being just a software upgrade of GPRS, i'm hoping t-mobile one day will do this (at the moment orange & o2 have it but supposedly t-mo are gonna merge with orange when they can sort it)
    04-05-10 03:28 AM
    Blackberrys don't tend to use a lot of data so edge is perfectly fine. Messaging and emails are instant and mobile browsing is acceptable for the most part. Edge on the iphone and android device is where u can really tell the difference between edge and 3g. Blackberry not so much.

04-05-10 03:40 AM
    I have 3G and Wifi at home and I'm stuck with Edge at work. HOnestly, Edge isn't that bad. Streaming music or video's is possible over Edge, but barely. Web surfing isn't too bad, esp with Opera or Bolt.

Seriously, that iPhone video is BS. I don't know what is going on there. Even besides something is wrong with that video, doesn't the Edge iPhone have a smaller processor and maybe even less RAM? Oh well, doesn't matter.

Anyways, I am on ATT and I am also getting a Storm 2 in a couple weeks. Edge and Wifi are good enough for me, but I am keeping my Bold also, so I will have 3G if I need it.
    04-05-10 06:44 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD