View Poll Results: The Plural form of BlackBerry. Is it BlackBerrys or BlackBerries?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerrys

68 63.55%
  • BlackBerries

22 20.56%
  • Both are Acceptable

17 15.89%
    By the way, Duvi it just came to me what the both of us joining the same month means. You have way too many posts. Slow down man. I won't even go into the whole mod thing right now.

Okay, carry on with the grammar class everyone. Enjoy. No chalk screeching on the chalkboard please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 08:30 AM
    Well, English is my field, so I believe that to be the case. However, I do not really stress such things in a public forum.

I'm not sure if you agree with me or not then.
    03-01-09 08:44 AM
    I'm not sure if you agree with me or not then.
    I agree with you of course. Nevertheless, I do not think it is a big deal here. I cringe when I see double negatives on CB, but this is my time to relax and gain knowledge on BBs. Not, however, to correct the numerous grammatical errors that I see here on an hourly basis. If I did, I would be far more crazy than I already am.

In effect, "Blackberrys" is the correct plural form; I am not offended by the usage of "Blackberries" instead. Please try not to use "Blackberry's" as the plural form. Pretty please. And, finally, like Duvi, I just use the term "BBs" when I am on Crackerry.com.

03-01-09 08:59 AM
    The answer is BlackBerrys. Since the TM name is BlackBerry thus the plural would be BlackBerrys.
    03-01-09 09:02 AM
    It's "Blackberrys", but I've typed "Blackberries".

03-01-09 09:06 AM
    It's "Blackberrys", but I've typed "Blackberries".

Shame on you young lady. Now, you must write it the correct way on the board. 100 times.

03-01-09 09:08 AM
    Wow..just saw this thread... even Sith is wrong here!

It's actually BlackBerry Smartphones

Because BlackBerry is a trademarked word, you can't even add an S to it to make it BlackBerrys (it's DEFINITELY not BlackBerries).

So really, you should always re-write what you say so you can use BlackBerry Smartphones.

Of course, that's kinda bunk... so people can't do whatever they want!

there's actually an article on RIM's website that outlines their rules on this.
    03-01-09 09:12 AM
    The correct plural is BlackBerrys.

The term "Blackberries" sounds like a nasty malady that requires immediate treatment.
    03-01-09 09:13 AM
    Wow..just saw this thread... even Sith is wrong here!

It's actually BlackBerry Smartphones

Because BlackBerry is a trademarked word, you can't even add an S to it to make it BlackBerrys (it's DEFINITELY not BlackBerries).

So really, you should always re-write what you say so you can use BlackBerry Smartphones.

Of course, that's kinda bunk... so people can't do whatever they want!

there's actually an article on RIM's website that outlines their rules on this.
    Ah yes. You see. This is why you do not have grammar discussions on CB.

Kevin, can you believe this thread came back to life after all this time? I will stick with my use of BBs thank you very much.

03-01-09 09:18 AM
    Why can't it be Blackberri, as in Octopi (plural of Octopus)?
    03-01-09 09:22 AM
    Ha ha ha. It can be if you want it that way. I won't stop you.

03-01-09 09:23 AM
    haha.. yeah, i can't believe this thread came back to life. HILARIOUS. gotta love forums

BBs is good. agreed on that!
    03-01-09 09:24 AM
    Indeed man. Indeed. Amazing.

03-01-09 09:26 AM
    Shame on you young lady. Now, you must write it the correct way on the board. 100 times.

See..I thought you were sweet, CBK! Guess I was wrong... where's the love?
    Thanks for calling me "young", though!

Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-01-09 at 10:17 AM.
    03-01-09 09:34 AM
    By the way, Duvi it just came to me what the both of us joining the same month means. You have way too many posts. Slow down man. I won't even go into the whole mod thing right now.
    Mods are exempt from the rules about artificially inflating post counts. ModBots are in again this month.

Well it's either that or they have way too much time on their hands and no useful work to fill it.

03-01-09 09:44 AM
    Why can't it be Blackberri, as in Octopi (plural of Octopus)?
    Because it's not a Blackberrus

Ooh I like this thread.

I would go with Blackberrys for the same reason that if there were three people called Sally in my life I wouldn't say "there are three Sallies in my life."

It would probably be more correct though to say Blackberry devices, but it's silly to say you can't say Blackberrys - because people do, and English has to evolve to adopt currency. If I can say it, I have to be able to spell it, hence Blackberrys!
    03-01-09 09:47 AM
    I agree with you of course. Nevertheless, I do not think it is a big deal here. I cringe when I see double negatives on CB, but this is my time to relax and gain knowledge on BBs. Not, however, to correct the numerous grammatical errors that I see here on an hourly basis. If I did, I would be far more crazy than I already am.

In effect, "Blackberrys" is the correct plural form; I am not offended by the usage of "Blackberries" instead. Please try not to use "Blackberry's" as the plural form. Pretty please. And, finally, like Duvi, I just use the term "BBs" when I am on Crackerry.com.

We agree completely on this, and I'm glad of it. Using "BBs" is the way to go, and I also cringe when people use "BB's" or fill_in_the_blank's to pluralize anything. I'm sorry though, I do see it as a big deal - spelling and grammar, etc., as I said [sic] in my first reply. I think it's a matter of politeness.
    03-01-09 11:32 AM
    The correct way is BlackBerry� smartphones per their Guidelines for Use of RIM Trademarks

rim.com/legal/trademarks/guidelines.shtml
    03-02-09 05:01 PM
    Right,

It is 100% Blackberrys.

Blackberry in its single term relates to a trade marked name and as such cannot be made plural using the normal grammar rules, and you most certainly cannot change the name of a trade marked thing at your will. Technically a berry in plural form is berries, yet when preceded by black as in blackberry it becomes a product, a trade marked name, therefore to make it plural you should say more than one blackberry, while the term blackberrys is acceptable it is not grammatically correct.

However, you live the other side of the pond and as such use a bastardised version of the English language, so I will let you off, but it is blackberrys and most certainly not blackberries....

and yes, I might not show it all the time but I am **** bent on grammar!
    Ding! Ding! That is absolutely correct
    03-02-09 06:17 PM
    i'd say "blackberries" because the plural of "berry" is "berries."

Kind of a given to me, but the trademark makes me wonder lol
    03-02-09 08:22 PM
    I would prefer to leave it as Blackberry for one or multiples. Just as deer, fish, moose, and if you are Canadian - beer!!

I drank twevle beer.
    I shot 3 deer.
    I own 2 Blackberry.

It could work.
    03-03-09 03:16 PM
    it's Blackberri....like cacti
    03-03-09 03:21 PM
    I see it like a noun so I believe Blackberrys is more appropriate, kind of like Curves.

~Jazzi~

Last edited by Jazzi-Rocks; 03-03-09 at 03:33 PM.
    03-03-09 03:31 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD