I know everyone has different opinions on sizes of smartphones, but in my humble opinion people will soon become fed up with the ever growing sizes. I`m 59 years old and I still want a phone that fits comfortably in my jeans pocket, so I am sure a lot of people younger than me feel the same.
    Z10 - best phone I ever had and for so many reasons. I`m not going to dwell on what should have happened or what could have happened regarding Operating Systems but I do want to suggest this.
    The hardware for the phone exists. Great shape, great size, so no new investment required in the hardware.
    So why not use that hardware with an Android OS, include all the stuff that is now expected in a top spec smartphone and create something really desirable for the old guys and the kids?
    09-26-18 04:46 AM
    I know everyone has different opinions on sizes of smartphones, but in my humble opinion people will soon become fed up with the ever growing sizes. I`m 59 years old and I still want a phone that fits comfortably in my jeans pocket, so I am sure a lot of people younger than me feel the same.
    Z10 - best phone I ever had and for so many reasons. I`m not going to dwell on what should have happened or what could have happened regarding Operating Systems but I do want to suggest this.
    The hardware for the phone exists. Great shape, great size, so no new investment required in the hardware.
    So why not use that hardware with an Android OS, include all the stuff that is now expected in a top spec smartphone and create something really desirable for the old guys and the kids?
    Because what you want doesn't match up with what the "market" wants. Sure there are thousands that want a smaller device. But manufactures are going after the millions...

Most all OEMs had Z10 sized devices at one time... It's not about the design, it's about the lack of sales potential. Small screens are a niche, and apparently not a profitable one... or there would be more options.
    09-26-18 08:10 AM
    And as bezels get smaller and screen aspect ratios change, the same size phone can have a larger screen installed (especially if there's no need to install thick bezels for gestures). For reference, a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is only 5mm taller than a Z10, but comes with a 5" 1080x2160 screen instead of the 4.2" 768x1280 screen on the Z10. On that note, the XZ Compact line is pretty much the only non-iPhone line of recent smartphones that are in the ballpark of the Z10's size, which is indicative of the trend of the market.
    Bbnivende and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-26-18 09:28 AM
    Thanks for the responses and I can`t argue statistically. But.. my post was initially prompted by a gathering in the pub to watch a football match including about 6 men my age (late 50`s), together with my son and about 6 men of his age (mid 30`s). Out of the 12, only one had got a larger phone (or a girly phone as the younger men referred to it). Conclusion was that men want to be able to retrieve their phone from a pocket and use it with only one hand. Not so important to women, they carry theirs in a shoulder bag so they need both hands to get to it. I just thought it was an interesting straw poll. I wonder if there has been any research into male versus female preference for phone size?
    Hey I just think someone is missing a trick here. It is not necessarily the people leading the market, it is the market leading the people (after all, it is easier to pack out a big phone with features).
    And now I will shut up about it.
    09-26-18 09:44 AM
    We do not know your budget.

Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact: Powerful performance. ...
    iPhone 7: Still great value. ...
    Google Pixel 2: A pure Android flagship. ...
    Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact: Cutting-edge compact. ...
    iPhone 8: Perfectly proportioned.
    09-26-18 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the responses and I can`t argue statistically. But.. my post was initially prompted by a gathering in the pub to watch a football match including about 6 men my age (late 50`s), together with my son and about 6 men of his age (mid 30`s). Out of the 12, only one had got a larger phone (or a girly phone as the younger men referred to it). Conclusion was that men want to be able to retrieve their phone from a pocket and use it with only one hand. Not so important to women, they carry theirs in a shoulder bag so they need both hands to get to it. I just thought it was an interesting straw poll. I wonder if there has been any research into male versus female preference for phone size?
    Hey I just think someone is missing a trick here. It is not necessarily the people leading the market, it is the market leading the people (after all, it is easier to pack out a big phone with features).
    And now I will shut up about it.
    But what do you call a small phone... my Z10 is only slighting smaller than by Galaxy S7. What devices where those 12 people using?

What kind of mens pants won't hold one of today's small phones? Even when I wear jeans my S7 easily slips in and out of my pocket. With slacks or a suite it's no problem at all. I had a lager Droid Turbo that wasn't an issue either....
    09-26-18 02:46 PM
    I have no problem whatsoever carrying an LG V30+ with a 6" screen in my pocket, whether it is jeans or slacks. It's in a TPU case that's not super thick but offers lots of protection for it. I've never heard anyone referring to larger phones as "girl phones" and I don't know of any guy who carries a compact phone - the iPhone 6/7 are the smallest phones that any guy I know carries. That includes my many customers and their kids (teen/young adult).

It may be that you live in a tiny vortex where people prefer tiny phones, but that's definitely not the case in most of the western world. The more people spend time on their phones, the more they value a larger screen. That's been the biggest consumer-driven trend in smartphones over the last 5-6 years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-26-18 03:28 PM
    the big problem with small phones is that people expect them to be cheaper and not by a little bit.

Sony is a big example. Cram the same tech as their larger siblings into smaller form factor and it doesn't sell because they can't do it for cheap.
    09-26-18 06:07 PM
    Grab a XZ1 Compact.

It's about the same size as a Z10. Plastic. Durable. Grippy. And flagship specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-18 06:24 PM
    I think OP is on to something that many of us feel. I hate putting my K1 in my front pocket because of the size. That was one thing I loved about my Q10. That being said, I couldn't go back to that small of a screen. Unfortunately, us "many" are not millions.
    09-26-18 07:36 PM
    I love the size of my z10 and I am thinking of using it for as long as possible. Android on a z10 would be cool, but I think that is a non-starter and basically the same dead end (probably worse) as all those other threads asking for android on passport.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-26-18 09:10 PM
    Grab a XZ1 Compact.

It's about the same size as a Z10. Plastic. Durable. Grippy. And flagship specs.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^^This - if you can afford it.
    09-27-18 10:36 AM