Hi,

What I wanted to ask the forum members is simply, "What is your prediction for Blackberry in 5 years...". Why 5 years? I figure that's at least two more generations of phones and the number is pretty cool. ha! Anyway I am waiting on the BB classic for AT&T. My only concern is the Apps ecosystem. I did download the Amazon app store on my Q10 and it worked but definitely had bugs and slowness issues. But in say 5 years or even 2 years, will all apps works the same on all devices? Can BB improve it's Android Runtime to make the apps work flawlessly even in a "non-native" enviroment? (Any people with technical skills please chime in if this is even possible). I want to support this company, buy stock, and use more phones. But someday will BB only be an enterprise IT security company? Will there be no more handsets in 2020? I am not asking because I want to wait that long to see. I want to buy the classic now! But I wanted to know what other people think the company will be at in a few years. I see such devotion on these boards sometimes. And I cannot imagine all these users just disappearing and going to android or apple in the coming years...

Any predictions or thoughts are most welcome!

M22
    02-11-15 06:37 PM
    I think one of two things will happen: BlackBerry switches entirely to enterprise meaning no more consumer line except for BBM or a merger/sale with another company.
    Don't think BlackBerry will make a dramatic comeback in the consumer market. They are well behind the competition and the battle is getting harder with each day. I'd love to be wrong about this. Believe me I would. I'm not a fan of iOS or Android so I really want them to survive but it's going to be very difficult.
    02-11-15 07:39 PM
    Five years is an eternity in the tech world. If the company is not sold, it will consist of two divisions...IoT and enterprise management (no more handsets or messaging).

If it is sold it will become a part of Samsung, Microsoft, or SAP.
    02-11-15 08:26 PM
    Hardware will be history. And most likely BlackBerry will be too.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-11-15 08:33 PM
    Well since this is a fun prediction thread. I'm going to be optimistic and predict that Blackberry handsets sales will beat Apple iPhones in 5 years.
    Tabdus, Zirak, Jrox74 and 2 others like this.
    02-11-15 08:54 PM
    Blackberry will be known as big black on wall street, solidified by its dominant IOT connections.

Posted via CB10
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    02-11-15 09:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    02-11-15 09:13 PM
    BlackBerry is working hard to be the device that is able to connect with all of your other devices. I think that more and more, this is where technology will go. If that's correct, BlackBerry will be in good shape as they are already a step ahead. BB10 is still young, I think a lot of people underestimate how well John Chen sees the direction that BlackBerry needs to keep pushing on in. Blend is a prime example of this.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    thymaster likes this.
    02-11-15 09:15 PM
    If share price remains at $10 in 2020, Watsa will lose his patience, cuts his losses and liquidates the Company.
    02-11-15 09:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    You need some Prozac, man...

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    02-11-15 09:16 PM
    BB10.3.1? Just kidding! I believe that BlackBerry will have regained atleast some of its market share, probably becoming the 3rd biggest smartphone manufacturer. Unless, Samsung can't get people to buy its phones again (73% drop in profits), or Apple continues to make expensive phones that are meant to only appeal to western markets. Then BlackBerry may be able to become the second biggest. Also, it would appear that BlackBerry has filed some very interesting patents that would point to a smartwatch of sorts and a BB10 Torch seems to be in the works aswell.. So maybe BlackBerry will become more prevalent soon. Some more advertisement definitely couldn't hurt either!
    02-11-15 10:08 PM
    Five years is an eternity in the tech world. If the company is not sold, it will consist of two divisions...IoT and enterprise management (no more handsets or messaging).

If it is sold it will become a part of Samsung, Microsoft, or SAP.
    Absolutely right. 5 years is definitely an eternity. If you look at 5 years ago blackberry was at it's peak in market share or close to it. And now things are completely reversed obviously.

So historically is apple the only company to be on the verge of bankruptcy but then became a market leader ? I'm trying to find a silver lining.

I know bb is trying to get back it's mojo it's momentum but it's painful to read the news everyday. When will this company get onto some sustainable path?

Does anyone feel like every blackberry they purchase may be their last one ever?

Ugh. This thread is depressing. Haha.
    02-11-15 11:00 PM
    Optimistic.

BlackBerry will pair up with Samsung in about 2 years or less, create the "BlackSung" : Samsung Hardware and BlackBerry 10.4 OS . Or 11.0

With Samsung on board, advertising will pick up, and the world will become more familiar with BlackBerry 10.

Many more apps will become native, and BlackBerry will stop supporting Android apps in 2018-9.

Google will be "forced "to support the ever so popular platform, and we will see all google apps go native.

Posted via CB10
    matador22 likes this.
    02-11-15 11:14 PM
    If survival is the only issue, it will survive as well as will remain in top 5 if not numero uno!
    To survive and to live who says u have to be on top, as far as they will keep on innovating, we die hard followers will hang to it.
    I have lots of hope
    Sticking to BlackBerry from last 7 years

Posted via CB10
    Zirak likes this.
    02-11-15 11:22 PM
    2020: BlackBerry will have been purchased for their patents and QNX, possibly by Samsung. Mobile division? Smartphone hardware and BB software will be no more, having died out prior to the buyout. Their Enterprise services and software will probably have been dropped, depending on their strength in the market at the time. If their Enterprise offerings were doing well enough, that part of BlackBerry might be absorbed by the original buyer (likely if the buyer was Samsung) or could have been sold separately to a competitor and rolled in to their offerings, or maybe sold and run as a stand alone company.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-11-15 11:31 PM
    Optimistic.

BlackBerry will pair up with Samsung in about 2 years or less, create the "BlackSung" : Samsung Hardware and BlackBerry 10.4 OS . Or 11.0

With Samsung on board, advertising will pick up, and the world will become more familiar with BlackBerry 10.

Many more apps will become native, and BlackBerry will stop supporting Android apps in 2018-9.

Google will be "forced "to support the ever so popular platform, and we will see all google apps go native.

Posted via CB10
    I like the sound of this. Ok how about this. If blackberry stops making hardware. Can at least someone make a phone with their keyboards, centralized hub, and blinking notification light? That's all I'm asking.
    02-12-15 12:09 AM
    Z30 still latest all touch device...

Passport will be rumored to get a replacement...

10.3 finally released by major carriers ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    Cynycl, jmr1015, Doggerz and 3 others like this.
    02-12-15 12:29 AM
    Z30 still latest all touch device...

Passport will be rumored to get a replacement...

10.3 finally released by major carriers ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    You're probably right about the Z30. And it would still be the best touchscreen phone around LOL
    02-12-15 12:44 AM
    In 2020, Chen will be 5 years older
    02-12-15 12:45 AM
    Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    How on earth do you know this to be true? Did you and AlaJack just come back from the future or are you fortune tellers? You could make a lot of money offering this service to others!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-12-15 12:57 AM
    I think one of two things will happen: BlackBerry switches entirely to enterprise meaning no more consumer line except for BBM or a merger/sale with another company.
    Don't think BlackBerry will make a dramatic comeback in the consumer market. They are well behind the competition and the battle is getting harder with each day. I'd love to be wrong about this. Believe me I would. I'm not a fan of iOS or Android so I really want them to survive but it's going to be very difficult.
    Star! This has ALWAYS been what BlackBerry does!

It NEVER stopped!

BlackBerry has ALWAYS BEEN A SECURITY, NETWORKING AND INFRASTRUCTURE Company.

Please for the love of GOD read up on the history of the company please! The first BlackBerry device sold wasn't even a BlackBerry it was an embedded solution partnership. Their first BlackBerry was the 850 via Mobitex network and was exclusively marketed to Corporate users. Their first consumer device was the 7100t on T-MOBILE USA and was released several yrs after the 850.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 12:58 AM
    Sad but true.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Who let debbie downers out of their cages?
    Jrox74 likes this.
    02-12-15 01:05 AM
    2020 Blackberry will only have one phone, a slider made by Samsung. Instead of a runtime it will run a fully licensed Google ChromeOS in VM (there will no longer exist an Android and separate Chrome browser), in exchange for cross-licensing its patents to Google/OHA and Blend will be a ChromeOS app. BB's biggest competitor in enterprise will be MS with its unified phone/desktop/server/EMM Win11 platform. Apple will be better known for its iWatch and iHome products than Iphone. QNX will be the Cisco of IoT bigger than both mobile and enterprise divisions.
    matador22 likes this.
    02-12-15 01:22 AM
    Who let debbie downers out of their cages?
    Ah, so it's only forecasts that predict sunshine, rainbows and unicorn rides for BB that should be posted then?

Gotcha.
    Eumaeus, Troy Tiscareno and Witmen like this.
    02-12-15 02:38 AM
    By 2020, BB will be a relatively successful company providing enterprise software and services. They'll be providers of a small range of physical keyboarded handsets to support that market. They'll have exited the consumer handset market completely. BB will be fighting various attempts by other companies (Samsung, Microsoft) to buy their enterprise business. Chen will be extremely wealthy and lauded as CEO of the Decade.
    matador22 likes this.
    02-12-15 02:45 AM
62 123