So I have owned a bb for nearly 4 years now and my love for the company remains strong. Everybody in the family(5) uses/used a bb..Got a android phone about 10 months back but used it as a camera and for its browser.

My main phone for the past 2 years has been the 9700. Lcd broke last month. Was using my android phone until this week when I got a 9790 from my friend. I've owned many devices until now but the 9790 takes the cake in short battery life. Wtf was blackberry thinking, the flagship phone with a touchscreen, higher processing power and ram and you give it a smaller battery?! Same with the 9900.

My sister uses the 9360 and it has a 1000mah(!) battery but she manages.

I can put up with less apps(rather, 0 apps from bb world) but at the very least, give me a good experience. The 9700 was quite slow but I like the speed of the 9790. Been using the 9790 from yesterday and this phone is fast and smooth. Very compact and a breeze to use. I use it to make calls, whatsapp, sms, memo, media, calendar, contacts, browser, password keeper, google maps, gtalk, protect, gmail, yahoo mail and twitter. And it does all this well.

But for the love of god, my device doesn't last until 9pm and this is with just 1-1.5 hours of calls a day. The 9700 and 9780 have no issues lasting the entire day with heavy usage. If blackberry understood how people used their phones, how did they go so wrong with the 9790 and 9900?

I look at the 9790 and it is much slimmer than the 9780 but at what cost? Jesus christ, did the 9790 have to be slimmer than the 9780? The size of the 9780 is just fine.

When blackberry was in the process of releasing this flagship phone, didn't they put their phones through rigorous testing for battery life? Did they think their users were dumb idiots who wouldn't figure out that this phone had inadequate battery life?

Because of their dumb decisions, I've had to dump one 9790 already, I don't want to dump this 9790 but searching for extended batteries online brings no solace(I'm in India.)

My only choices to keep this phone are
    1)charge it like an android guzzler
    2) ask for friend in the US to purchase a mugen/monaco extended battery
    3) switch back to a 9780. What appetizing choices, eh, blackberry?

The android phone I have isn't bad and I have even gotten used to the keyboard, the multiple gmail and gtalk accounts and the 50+ apps are wonderful but I just wanted a solid phone with a keyboard with a good battery. I've even been paying $ 9 a month just for my bb data plan but blackberry seems intent on mucking up every aspect of bb ownership.

2 years back, I used to see bb's all around me but this has started changing. People are switching to android in droves. I can't even recall the last time I saw a z10 or z30. Did see the q10 but that was because it was a gift.
    I am not keen on moving to a bb 10 device either.

With so much competition intent on offering better products, I wonder why blackberry isn't able to pull up its socks and bring out a decent product. At the end of the day, I just want a goddamn phone that works. Regardless of how much I like blackberry, it just might fall short this time. /rant

bb family ownership history- s- sold
    9000(s),
    9000(s),
    8900(s),
    9780(s),
    9780(s),
    9700(my phone, lcd broke last month)
    9790(s),
    9780(s),
    Last edited by yukon4; 01-09-14 at 04:23 PM.
    01-09-14 04:11 PM
    Looks like you need a BlackBerry Q10.
    01-09-14 04:19 PM
    Why not get a Q10, or even a Z30 with its 2880mAh battery and an amazing virtual keyboard?

Better Browser than most other devices, despite all the hype a decent selection of apps & games, solid construction... lots of good reasons to try it out, especially if you're a self-professed BB fan like yourself!
    01-09-14 04:20 PM
    Well, you are talking about a phone that came out two years ago at the deeper end of their fall from grace. They've changed hands a couple of times since then. From reports, they did better with the Q10.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    01-09-14 04:24 PM
    Well, you are talking about a phone that came out two years ago at the deeper end of their fall from grace. They've changed hands a couple of times since then. From reports, they did better with the Q10.
    The only issue with the Q10 is that it doesn't have the antenna the Z30 has. I'm sure they'll have a fix for that before the year will be out.
    01-09-14 04:29 PM
    It is odd how people can have varying experiences. I have loved my 9780, 9900 and now my Z10. Anyway, Q10 or Z30 might work for u. Not sure what other phones, Android or IOS has better battery life that will meet ur needs. I think the Motorola DROID might? My Z10 will last 10-12 hours for me. But everyone's usage is different.

Good luck.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-09-14 04:30 PM
    I really want to stay with bb but the friend who gave me the 9790 has moved to a samsung tab and a nokia phone. I'm more tempted by the moto g. Maybe the Typo keypad + android might be many people's cup of tea if bb doesn't cut it anymore.
    01-09-14 04:40 PM
    Y U not speak intelligent like?

Posted via CB10
    bigbadben10, red72 and BCITMike like this.
    01-09-14 04:43 PM
    OP spend some time with a Z30, it really is the best mobile device out there. With the latest leak which is simple to load you would be blown away. Just a thought.
    01-09-14 04:50 PM
    Blackberry, y u not make intelligent decisions[rant]-mockit_09012014175822.jpg

I needed to do this for you.

Used MockIt for the first time. Ever.

Oh and get a Q10. Read up on leaks. Load up 10.2.1.1925. Load Snap. Enjoy keyboard and good battery life and also many apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:00 PM
    Y u do dis BlikBeri!!

Posted via CB10
    Bor Navas likes this.
    01-09-14 05:00 PM
    I really want to stay with bb but the friend who gave me the 9790 has moved to a samsung tab and a nokia phone. I'm more tempted by the moto g. Maybe the Typo keypad + android might be many people's cup of tea if bb doesn't cut it anymore.
    Well, you're comparing a 2+ year old, and used phone from your friend, with a brand new phone. That, and the Typo keypad is only for the iPhone 5 and 5S so you're out of luck there too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-09-14 05:05 PM
    Hmm I can see where you are coming from. My last device was 9700 and so I was lucky enough to experience long battery life. There are 2 things you can do.

1. Just get another battery. I know its a hassle chargiing both batteries but this is the most economically viable option.

2. Get a BlackBerry q10. I am using this phone currently and I can get 1.5 days out of it. I usually read articles quite a lot on my phone during my trip to school. The battery life is not as good as the 9700 but the q10 IS a smartphone. Im almost sure that you will be content with the q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:10 PM
    Get a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:19 PM
    Like some others have said, get the Q10 or the Z30. I hated hated hated the Z10 for its awful battery life, but I just got the Z30 the other day and what a difference. This is finally a BB10 phone I can use!!

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-09-14 05:24 PM
    I would recommend you to buy a Q10 too, even if you'll get less battery life out of it.

I can honestly not understand how you can be happy with the speed of a 9790 these days, it even lags when you communicate in larger whatsapp groups. But that's your opinion of course.

Get a Q10 - it's the best from both worlds (okay not entirely) and it still feels like a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:25 PM
    I know the frustration you are experiencing now I've been the two year ago.

While the 9700 and the 9780are great devices the BB7 devices that I have used (9790 and 9360) have some faulty design which drains the battery. All of my friends that ha a BB7 did experience the very same.

There are three triggers that drains the battery of a BB7 device:
    - partial battery charge (ie less than 3 hours on the powers supply)
    - battery pull/soft reset
    - connection the device to a pc (to sync with the device manager of others)

If you do any of this triggers the device starts to heat up and with 2 or 3 hours the battery is completely drained even if it was fully charged.

I wrote a post before about this but I was told (almost attacked) it was only my device and should seek replacement. Funny that 4 devices that I've owned between 9780 and 9360 have the same behaviour. Not to mention other three friends with exact same issues.

My only solution was to fully charge the battery at night and install apps that required a reboot just before going to bed and thus charge the battery. Same for PIM sync with the DM. If you do this your device will have the same battery life you had on the 9780.

I've been very frustrated and disappointed with BBRY over this and spent hours in the phone with them.
    01-09-14 05:35 PM
    Been going through the thread where bb users have moved to other devices and the general vibe I get is..they love the bb but are frustrated by the limited options they have. It's almost as if most people would pro-bono sit down and explain to bb what they need to do right to retain them as customers. Feels so sad especially since I have used and loved their phones so much.
    01-09-14 05:49 PM
    Op, are you using wifi mainly? How is the network signal strength? It impact your battery life too.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:50 PM
    I use wifi in the house and 2g elsewhere. Signal strength isn't an issue. With the same routine, the 9700 would give me 1.5-1.8 days.

The Q10 isn't an option. I can get a cheaper 9220 for about $ 45-50 while the q10 costs $ 320-340. Got the 9790 for $80 from my friend.
    Might eventually invest in an extended battery.

But to quote thesleuth

But customers have left because it is no longer relevant in mobile. People are hanging on to history, loyalty, and hope. I am not defending them anymore. They're grown ups and have to be accountable for their fumbles and try to survive in the competitive jungle.
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-09-14 05:56 PM
    1.5 to 1.8 day is not bad. Wifi is constantly check for connectivity, it would be battery consuming. Any app that heat up your battery will be bad. If the weather is hot, battery will last less too. Just few of the stuff might need to keep your eyes on to make it work for you. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 09:01 PM
    Y U not speak intelligent like?

Posted via CB10
    I could make fun of you for making fun of someone who it is obvious that English is not their native language but then that would be cruelty

OP to address you, I just feel you want to move to another platform (Android looking at you) and wants to justify your switch...dont. Just go with whatever you like; we will do just fine over here
    m1kr0 likes this.
    01-09-14 10:26 PM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in the thread yet, but did you get a new battery for it? Being a 2 year old phone, chances are the battery is almost at the end of its life. Just like my laptop, I have an extended cell battery that used to last 13 hours when I got it 2 years ago, now I am lucky to get 3 hours with minimal usage.

I really don't know why you brought up the 9900 in your post when you don't even list ever owning one. I have 3, and all 3 of them have amazing battery life. On average they get 2 days of pretty serious usage before needing a charge. I definitely would not call a 9790 a flagship device when the 9900 is the true flagship device of that era. See: BlackBerry 7 Smartphones Buyers Guide: Bold 9900 vs. Bold 9790 | CrackBerry.com
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-09-14 10:58 PM
    Yh op sounds to me like you just want to switch, do so, don't try to justify it.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    01-09-14 11:03 PM
    I could make fun of you for making fun of someone who it is obvious that English is not their native language but then that would be cruelty
    If you didn't want to you would have said nothing, but you wanted to and wanted to seem like you took the high road so you did it back handedly. I don't care either way, just don't think that you are fooling anyone.

"Y" and "U" is not intelligent speak, even if English is a 2nd or 3rd language. Thus my comment.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:48 AM
42 12