I switched from android to BlackBerry but while surfing on BlackBerry world I realized that (almost) everything in BlackBerry world shows items for sale. If this is the case, is BlackBerry a smartphone? And their net packs are also to expensive. If we are paying for such high price we should expect good and free apps. Why?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 07:42 AM
    I'm having trouble understanding the thought that a phone is or isn't a smart phone dependent on how many apps are free...

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 07:45 AM
    Also, most app stores (and stores in general) ie blackberry world, Google play, amazon, have things for sale, it's why they're called a "store"

Posted via CB10
    Just Me likes this.
    02-14-14 07:47 AM
    I'm having trouble understanding the thought that a phone is or isn't a smart phone dependent on how many apps are free...

Posted via CB10
    I was too busy saying "Huh?!?" to type that out so thank you!
    FCSC likes this.
    02-14-14 07:47 AM
    According to me "smart" means which reduces ur efforts and helps u to be productive. Eg if I am searching contacts manager in BlackBerry world I am not able to see any app. For everything they asking for money. Should I individually see for duplicate contacts and waste my time if I want to merge duplicate contacts (just a example). In this way, Am I using it smartly or is it "really" a smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    dannycabrera likes this.
    02-14-14 08:01 AM
    Free apps are actually not free. You just don't notice that you are paying for it with your private information & advertisement. I'm sure Google & developers are making way more than $0.99 off of you using your information.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 08:08 AM
    I'm going to ignore the smartphone comment, because honestly, there is no merit to it.

Going to your comment about searching contact manager and "everything" isn't free....

That's simply not true, if you scroll down past the first screen you'll see free options, there's even one app with 4 and a half stars out of 5, and is built for blackberry, intouchapp

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, knownastron and Q10Bold like this.
    02-14-14 08:12 AM
    Cause "free thing no good, good thing no cheap"!

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 08:50 AM
    Alright.. anyways thanks for all replies.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:01 AM
    There's a boat load of free apps in BBWORLD as well as bars floating around the net.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-14-14 09:40 AM
    Ummmm:

BlackBerry world everything you browse is paid.. why?-img_20140214_081609.png

Scrolls on and on for page after page.....

Flicked out via Zed10
    Elite1 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    02-14-14 10:17 AM
    but while surfing on BlackBerry world I realized that (almost) everything in BlackBerry world shows items for sale.
    This is a a serious exaggeration, but I get your point.

If this is the case, is BlackBerry a smartphone?
    Why does how an independent developer chooses to earn revenue have any bearing on whether the BlackBerry is a smartphone. And for that matter, what defines a smartphone vs "not a smartphone"?

And their net packs are also to expensive.
    Net packs?
    02-14-14 10:22 AM
    I switched from android to BlackBerry but while surfing on BlackBerry world I realized that (almost) everything in BlackBerry world shows items for sale.
    There is definitely a higher ratio of paid apps on BlackBerry than Android. Remember that BB10 is still a new platform, and many of the Developers spent a lot of time learning a new platform and APIs in order to build these applications. Many of these developers are like me and do this as a hobby or side-business, so called 'weekend coders'. BlackBerry went out and actively recruited developers like us when ramping up BB10 in order to get apps and build their BB10 platform eco-system.

The time it takes to build a quality app is significant. So yes, many developers myself included offer their apps as paid apps or 'freemium' with in-app purchase, because we feel we have built a quality product which provides value, and the time and effort we have put in is worth something. Most paid apps are priced less than a cup of coffee! Contrary to what you may think, most developers with paid apps are not making money, or even a profit if they are counting the cost of their time. Many BB10 developers with quality 'Built for BlackBerry' certified apps and games have yet to make over $1000 in revenue in the year since BB10 has been out - and these are some of the top apps!

If you like BB10 and you would like to continue to see quality apps in BlackBerry World, then please consider supporting BB10 app developers by purchasing their apps or in-app upgrades and content. Many developers have already left the platform finding it wasn't worth the investment of their time, and others big and small continue to ignore the platform for the same reasons. For now, that perception can only be changed by users who provide positive feedback and vote with their dollars.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-14-14 10:30 AM
    Thanks nonesuchnick, RubberChicken76, tornado for your valuable info. I got everyone's point. Even I tried to buy paid app but problem which I'm facing is that it's not supporting debit card or online banking option.Coz I don't have PayPal or credit card @Nonesuchnick if you're amongst the developer plz consider my this point by allowing these options too.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 11:14 AM
    ... Even I tried to buy paid app but problem which I'm facing is that it's not supporting debit card or online banking option. Coz I don't have PayPal or credit card
    Have you checked to see if you can open a PayPal account and add it as a payee of your bank account? Then you could transfer money from your bank account into PayPal for making a purchase.

@Nonesuchnick if you're amongst the developer plz consider my this point by allowing these options too.
    He's not. He's a third party developer of some apps.

You can join Beta Zone to provide feedback to BB directly.

I would suggest emailing and tweeting your carrier to request they add carrier billing as an option for payment in BlackBerry World. Then you make a purchase and it's added to your phone bill. In my opinion that's the simplest method.
    02-14-14 11:30 AM
    I switched from android to BlackBerry but while surfing on BlackBerry world I realized that (almost) everything in BlackBerry world shows items for sale. If this is the case, is BlackBerry a smartphone? And their net packs are also to expensive. If we are paying for such high price we should expect good and free apps. Why?

Posted via CB10
    Where do you think the apps comes from? Grows on trees?

Perhaps you don't know this- but behind all apps are something called a "developer", behind more professional apps are what is called "a team". These are human beings, with families and responsibilities - most are done with school and moved out from their home - away from parents - and have to support themselves - and - their own family.

For us who pay our own bills, need something called "income" - which is then used to pay bills and food etc.,

Perhaps YOU should consider starting to make apps, and move out from home, - and you can provide everyone with those nice apps for free - and of course give full support 24/7, making everybody happy

About expensive devices - You are aware that ALL smartphones cost money? someone has to pay the bill ... and BlackBerry devices are comparable priced as other brands. If for some reason one brand is more expensive/cheap than others - you need to ask your carrier Why.
    In many countries - carriers don't offer any special reductions on devices - and they all average around $500-$600
    02-14-14 12:08 PM
    According to me "smart" means which reduces ur efforts and helps u to be productive. ?
    A smartphone requires smart users
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    02-14-14 12:09 PM
    The time it takes to build a quality app is significant. ..
    And yet - most existing Android and iPhone developers who start developing for BlackBerry10 - most agree that it takes considerably less time to developer for BlackBerry10 than other platforms, - and by starting out from BB10 - it is easier to port to other platforms - than the other way around..

but - unless it's pure hobby based - of course developers needs to get paid.

Free apps, are also paid by someone at some point ...
    02-14-14 12:14 PM
    Thanks nonesuchnick, RubberChicken76, tornado for your valuable info. I got everyone's point. Even I tried to buy paid app but problem which I'm facing is that it's not supporting debit card or online banking option.Coz I don't have PayPal or credit card @Nonesuchnick if you're amongst the developer plz consider my this point by allowing these options too.
    Thanks for trying to purchase apps and support developers!

Unfortunately, we are limited to the payment options available in BlackBerry World, and these are controlled by BlackBerry not by individual developers. PayPal is an option as @elite1 suggested, or you may have the option of carrier billing which means it goes on your monthly wireless bill. Your carrier pays a company called Bango, and then Bango gives BlackBerry their cut and finally Bango pays the Developer after holding their earnings until they reach a certain threshold (often 2-3 months) and charging an additional 'payment transfer' fee.

PayPal or credit card purchases get to developers faster and with less hassle. Carrier billing is the least popular payment method with developers, but it's still better than not getting paid at all and is convenient for users. Just something to consider if you have a choice of which one to use.
    02-14-14 12:32 PM
    And yet - most existing Android and iPhone developers who start developing for BlackBerry10 - most agree that it takes considerably less time to developer for BlackBerry10 than other platforms, - and by starting out from BB10 - it is easier to port to other platforms - than the other way around..

but - unless it's pure hobby based - of course developers needs to get paid.

Free apps, are also paid by someone at some point ...
    Guess it depends on the developer, I've seen devs comment here that the BB10 dev tools are poor compared to Apple/Android.
    02-14-14 01:59 PM
    Guess it depends on the developer, I've seen devs comment here that the BB10 dev tools are poor compared to Apple/Android.
    Tools can be very personal, almost a religion for some developers. I have developed for Android and also for BB10, and my experience was that BB10 was easier and more straightforward, especially using Cascades and QML for the UI. The new version of the Momentics IDE is very nice, and the debugging and profiling tools are very powerful. I haven't used the latest versions of the Android tools though, so I can't really give a fair comparison.

Overall I am very happy with the BB10 tools.
    02-14-14 02:44 PM
    According to me "smart" means which reduces ur efforts and helps u to be productive. Eg if I am searching contacts manager in BlackBerry world I am not able to see any app. For everything they asking for money. Should I individually see for duplicate contacts and waste my time if I want to merge duplicate contacts (just a example). In this way, Am I using it smartly or is it "really" a smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    Are there any other terms in the English language you would like to redefine for us while you're at it??
    02-14-14 03:12 PM
    Tools can be very personal, almost a religion for some developers. I have developed for Android and also for BB10, and my experience was that BB10 was easier and more straightforward, especially using Cascades and QML for the UI. The new version of the Momentics IDE is very nice, and the debugging and profiling tools are very powerful. I haven't used the latest versions of the Android tools though, so I can't really give a fair comparison.

Overall I am very happy with the BB10 tools.
    Did you use Eclipse at time for Android? I know Android in the last year or so has put alot of effort into making the tools easier and powerful. As you've noted BB10 tools have improved in that time span as well.
    02-14-14 03:16 PM
    Ever noticed the annoying ad bars in "free" Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 03:30 PM
    The debit card thing must be on a country by country basis I use a debit card in the UK no problem?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 03:33 PM
34 12