It seems like it never gets any big apps added to the store and whenever it does its an Android port

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 10:09 AM
    It seems like it never gets any big apps added to the store and whenever it does its an Android port

Posted via CB10
    Have to thank BlackBerry directly for that. BUT, if we did not have the ability to run ports could you really imagine what the store would be like now. You would open it up and the tumble weeds would scroll on by.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-12-14 10:38 AM
    BlackBerry World is for business apps. The Amazon App Store is for consumer apps. So there is no incentive for developers to put their consumer apps in BlackBerry world.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-12-14 10:42 AM
    Well, as long as they're refocusing BB World could they get rid of all the crap apps on there?
    11-12-14 01:19 PM
    Making a consumer app to run natively and created in cascades seems like a good reason? I much prefer the native apps over Android versions, they seem like they run much smoother.
    I wonder if you get paid for whatever it is you do for a living, and if you'd be willing to take a 95% pay cut because your potential customers would prefer to pay less for what you do.

App developers are professionals running a business, and that means their apps have to make money one way or the other. If they write an Android app, they have over a BILLION users on the Google Play Store alone, and potentially hundreds of millions more in China (who don't have Google Play), plus tens of millions in alternate app stores such as the Amazon Marketplace. If they get 1% of those users (roughly 15M users), and make $1/user on average per year, that's $15M of revenue. If they get 1% of BB10's roughly 8M userbase, that's 80K users. At $1 each, that's $80K, which is barely enough to pay just the salary and benefits of a California developer for 6 months, not counting any other expenses.

Without a sizable userbase, it's not worth the investment for most professional companies to make a BB10 app, especially when most have already made an Android app which will function (more or less) on BB10. Why double your development costs just to attract half a percentage more customers? The math just doesn't work.

That is why BB World has become a ghost town. Well, that and the fact that BB officially threw in the towel except for enterprise-focused apps and told consumer developers to use the Amazon Marketplace (and thus Android) instead.
    kbz1960, ReneV and Georgiegeorge like this.
    11-12-14 02:43 PM
    Making a consumer app to run natively and created in cascades seems like a good reason? I much prefer the native apps over Android versions, they seem like they run much smoother.
    Yes. We need a lot more native apps. With all the tools in cascades if developers where really serious about bringing there apps. They would be so great, like Iheartradio a big name consumer app. That runs ok need more optimization but I prefer that native app than the port.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:44 PM
    At $1 each, that's $80K, which is barely enough to pay just the salary and benefits of a California developer for 6 months.
    WOW.. they really make that much money? Now i really hate my job.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-12-14 02:58 PM
    Nothing beats native BlackBerry apps. Period.

It's a shame using those pathetic Android ports. I won't. Using BlackBerry apps is my BlackBerry identity. No ios or Android. BlackBerry apps. That's why I bought a Blackberry.

If you are so happy with those itchy clicky kiddy Android apps, then why don't you get a Galaxy phone?

We want BlackBerry native apps. Shame that BlackBerry World is a ghost town. No more big time apps. Shame. Just a shame.

Imagine having a great passport running Android apps on it.

"Hey, that's the new Passport from BlackBerry right?"

"Yes, it is."

"Oh, you run Android apps on it? No BlackBerry apps for your BlackBerry then?"

"Uhh, well. Yeah. We make sideload parties at CB and hype up ourselves. And now with Amazon app store we rock Android apps. Yaaaay!"

Gimme a break!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:01 PM

It's a shame using those pathetic Android ports. I won't. Using BlackBerry apps is my BlackBerry identity. No ios or Android. BlackBerry apps. That's why I bought a Blackberry.
    Posted via CB10
    If you bought a BlackBerry for BlackBerry apps then you must have some different app store then me lol

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-12-14 03:18 PM
    If you bought a BlackBerry for BlackBerry apps then you must have some different app store then me lol

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    Why? Do you have a different BlackBerry App World?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:29 PM
    That's true. Why develop BlackBerry apps when you can more money on Droid and ios?

I really wonder what must happen, that devs make apps for BlackBerry again?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:35 PM
    That's true. Why develop BlackBerry apps when you can more money on Droid and ios?

I really wonder what must happen, that devs make apps for BlackBerry again?

Posted via CB10
    When they see a big jump in market share and allot of that is based on the U.S. Market.

Like it or not, that's just the way is it and until that changes, I don't see anything happening in the distant future.
    11-12-14 05:03 PM
    This is the sad reality of the app world. I stopped looking at apps to download on that. Good thing I'm not much of an app person.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 06:12 PM
    BlackBerry World is for business apps. The Amazon App Store is for consumer apps. So there is no incentive for developers to put their consumer apps in BlackBerry world.
    What real business apps do you fine in BW?

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and mornhavon like this.
    11-12-14 11:16 PM
    Totally agree with you. The market share isn't there to build the apps, so they don't. There aren't apps, so less people buy blackberry. Endless cycle. Hope android support in qnx pulls more people into blackberry, resulting in more dev's finding it worth their time to create a native app.

Your logic is spot on.
    Bingo. And I agree with Troy as well. It's the whole chicken/egg thing. And the only chance they have to break the cycle is to leverage Android apps in the hope of attracting users and building that base that would make native development profitable. This strategy is slowly starting to take hold. Anyone that read the passport reviews should have noticed that lack of apps were not a major concern other than in Joanna Stern's review. Most reviewers commented that BB World + Amazon were good (not great) enough as they could get the major titles they craved (IG, Netflix, Candy Crush, etc, etc). People read these reviews and they may be more willing to give BB a shot. And that's really all BB can ask for. Once folks actually use BB10 they come to appreciate all the things it does better than the competition.
    11-13-14 10:48 AM
    The bigger question other than the thread topic thread is if the Amazon App Store is helping BlackBerry 10 in the consumer market. Which party benefits greater from that partnership?
    Jane23 likes this.
    11-13-14 10:55 AM
    The bigger question other than the thread topic thread is if the Amazon App Store is helping BlackBerry 10 in the consumer market. Which party benefits greater from that partnership?
    For the time being it is mutually beneficial. BB gets official access to the Amazon store and apps they would not otherwise have access to. Amazon gets more eyeballs and purchases on their storefront. In the long run, if BB10 gains traction then Amazon will be the clear winner and BB (and BB world) will be the clear loser. If the user base ever begins to trend up in a meaningful way, BB needs to be ready with a plan to lure native development back to their store, even if they have to pay the dev to write the app initially. A larger user base should make it more worthwhile for the dev to take a chance on BB again.
    11-13-14 11:06 AM

If you are so happy with those itchy clicky kiddy Android apps, then why don't you get a Galaxy phone?

We want BlackBerry native apps. Shame that BlackBerry World is a ghost town. No more big time apps. Shame. Just a shame.

Imagine having a great passport running Android apps on it.

"Hey, that's the new Passport from BlackBerry right?"

"Yes, it is."

"Oh, you run Android apps on it? No BlackBerry apps for your BlackBerry then?"

"Uhh, well. Yeah. We make sideload parties at CB and hype up ourselves. And now with Amazon app store we rock Android apps. Yaaaay!"

Gimme a break!

Posted via CB10
    Lol get real. Until you can show me a way to use Spotify on my phone properly another way don't spew nonsense. N00b

Posted via my Z30
    11-13-14 11:12 AM
    At least the trending application availabe natively. Come on...

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 11:19 AM
    Is there a clear distinction between an android port and a real blackberry app in blackberry world?
    11-13-14 11:41 AM
    Experienced app devs in the Bay Area make $70-100K on average, though some make much more. But you also need to consider that the costs to a company, including taxes and benefits, is much higher. Payroll tax alone is 15% of the person's salary, and good benefits aren't cheap. A good rule of thumb for a company's total cost for an employee is to double their base salary.

Also consider that the cost of living in the Bay Area is quite high. In Silicon Valley, studio apartments start at around $1800 a month and go up quickly from there. A house that might sell for $50K in Missouri will sell for $600k+ in the valley.
    11-13-14 11:46 AM
    Seriously and the insinuation that the devs all live in cali lol!

And let's say it's true then we'd see tons of muti millionaires as a result of these apps... not to mention the cut off of the top the owners of those markets take.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 01:08 PM
    Yeah, just look at all those business and productivity apps.

Is BlackBerry World at all time low?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415907790.668930.jpg
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-13-14 01:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I prefer native apps, but I'd rather have the apps that do what I need rather than just worry about native. BlackBerry has killed BlackBerry World by allowing it to be populated with tons of crap apps, App for (or whatever wording they use to get around that), blatantly fake reviews and opening up Amazon.

As for the kiddy app comment, show me a budgeting app that is as clear as anMoney that's in BlackBerry World?

I've tried a bunch of the apps (paid for a bunch of the native ones), but they can't come close to what anMoney can do. There are other ports, Snap downloads and Amazon apps that I use that enhance the utility of my BlackBerry. I'd rather that than a less useful device because I choose not to use its full capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 04:11 PM
    The move to android apps was always a double edged sword, because if someone is heavily invested in that amazon app store the question becomes do I get a droid when it is time to replace the handset.

I dont know what numbers Chen looked at to make the decision to go with the amazon app store and expel music from blackberry world but I hope it was worth it long term.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 04:20 PM
44 12