So, now that the new phones are out there is a lot of talk about updating the tablet line and releasing the rest of the phone line. This is all well and good, but am I the only one who thinks that a future of just phones and tablets is unsatisfying and dangerous. Currently, Apple has the full consumer product ecosystem of phones, tablets and the best computers in the world. I am writing this on a playbook and I wouldn't trade it for any other computer on the market (except maybe a Dell project Sputnik laptop). Although I love Blackberry phones, buying one required me to overcome a strong desire to stay completely connected to the Apple product line. Apple products work so effectively together that even though I hate the iPhone, I occasionally consider buying one so that I can sync all my products without any grief.

Microsoft is a bit more clunky in their operating system, but they have the added ability to add commercial software to their line-up of products. I am surprised that they don't integrate their phones and tablets better with their product line, but they definitely have the ability to create a seamless service of work servers, work and home computer, Xbox, tablet and phone.

Android might seem to be at a disadvantage with just phones and tablets, but they actually have the whole internet covered in their real estate and with their Chrome Books seem to be well positioned to do an end run around the personal computer lock that Windows currently has.

So where is Blackberry in all this? They have phones and a low-marketshare tablet and an unintegrated car market. Yes they also have the OS for space stations and power plants, but QNX for the commercial uses doesn't really speak to QNX on the phones and tablets. Meanwhile in the home, they rely on programs that sync (imperfectly) their devices to the media on Windows and Mac computers. On the internet, they are at the mercy of companies that prefer to develop for iOS and Android and occasionally throw them some scraps. Some people might say that they could partner with Cisco and IBM and other big names in computers to develop apps, but these big companies will never see Blackberry as anything more than a tertiary partner.

My suggestion? I think Blackberry need to develop a home device. I think it would be something that would marry a personal computer or workstation with media device, gaming console and backup storage. Granted, this is where my CS knowledge fails me, but couldn't they develop a virtual system for installing and running Windows and windows programs on this device while fundamentally being a QNX based system. Similarly, could they also not create their own cloud service which would rely on their expertise in encryption and security to provide services to phones and tablets, cars and personal computers.

I know that they are not going to conquer the world with these systems, but I know that I would buy one. I wish I could have a QNX based laptop for instance. Now that I have the money I wish I could buy a really great computer workstation. Apple seems to be getting out of this business as they cease upgrading their tower computers and for hard core engineers, scientists, architects and finance types, the efforts being made by companies to innovate in the workstation market is disconcerting. I wish that Blackberry would step in. I am glad that they have rebooted their phone OS. I love it! But, I am worried that they are still vulnerable to a world that is moving toward three ecosystems (apple, Windows and Linux). It's a bit like playing monopoly with a lot of cash but with all the other players owning hotels on their properties. If you aren't going to lose, you better get yourself some railroads.
    04-25-13 11:11 PM
    It's an interesting idea. I would like to see more QNX based personal devices also, although recent words from the BB CEO would seem to indicate they are not planning to go it that direction. But you never know. How often did Steve Job deny stuff until almost the day Apple put it out.
    ikerrin likes this.
    05-04-13 07:19 PM