I'd love to see BlackBerry water resistant / dust resistant / shock resistant phones released. This would coincide with their new mentality of focusing on the enterprise market. Nobody in I.T enjoys repairing broken fragile phones. I see a lot of people in construction that still use BlackBerry and this would give them a reason to remain BlackBerry customers.

It would also help differentiate BlackBerry from competitors.

These phones would also require the touch screen technologies that allow you to use gloves etc.

Posted via CB10
    Jeffm63 and yoshivan like this.
    03-28-14 12:31 PM
    You have a great point. Make something that isn't too fragile! It's certainly an idea.....
    03-28-14 03:30 PM
    I think this would be a great idea and I wouldn't think it would that difficult to do at the manufacturing end.

Send from my z30 on T Mobile USA (10.2.1.2160)
    03-28-14 06:11 PM
    I hope that BlackBerry takes note of the good suggestions around these forums.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:32 PM
    I would say make one tough device. Casio I believe is out of the picture now on new device development so on the smartphone front they'd be alone if they had a truly tough device.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    03-28-14 08:45 PM
    Water resistant would be nice, but most people would just go for an Otterbox if they actually need the protection.

If you go for water resistant, I assume you would have to give up the physical keyboard.

And with the current trend towards 5 inch plus phones and small bezels, we will be seeing more cracked screens.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    03-28-14 10:41 PM
    Using a case isn't like going naked though, I'd the protection was built in it would be more ergonomic

Sapphire lcd would help with scratches

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:52 PM
    I would actually prefer the current style of BlackBerry phones because some people might not want or need the extra protection and that happens to be the majority of the phone users.

So by producing phones that are relatively thin to begin with, those that are fine with the low protection can keep their phone as is, and those that want the extra protection can go for bigger cases. This way BlackBerry maximizes their sales.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    03-28-14 11:00 PM
    Yes but if people want a rugged phone they don't think let's buy a BlackBerry and put a case in it. They would have a tough line of products that they can sell directly to those in the trades or to enterprise customers

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:13 PM
    Yes but if people want a rugged phone they don't think let's buy a BlackBerry and put a case in it. They would have a tough line of products that they can sell directly to those in the trades or to enterprise customers

Posted via CB10
    You mean like a toughened up version of the phone? I believe Japan is already doing that... like 5 years ago? It just didn't picked up outside of Japan.

Unless I read your statement wrongly?
    03-29-14 08:39 AM
    I find my z10 very strong, I dropped it many times on the cement and not scratch.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 08:46 AM
    That's why I not so keen on the z30. Someone said the were more like the Samsung fragile.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 08:48 AM
    The cost must not be astronomically higher like most current ruggedized devices. I just had a discussion on this topic with an IT manager in an industrial organization (shipyard) involved in preparations to roll out lots of tablets. Currently testing a range of tablets starting with a $500 consumer device up to a $3000+ ruggedized industrial device with similar internal specs. Given a two-year refresh cycle, you could replace the consumer device 5 times and break even. And there are advantages of the consumer devices: high usability, more vendors, more varieties of devices with varying features, faster incorporation of innovations, etc. The biggest problem with ruggedized devices is that sales are so small, prices are high. I suspect the final decision in this implementation will be mostly consumer devices, supplemented with a small number of ruggedized devices for special purposes like environments with corrosive chemicals.
    03-29-14 12:47 PM