After listening to the latest CB pod-cast, Kevin's idea of a messaging only BB got me thinking. First I was like, I don't thinks so. wheres the market for that?. After a while and I was still thinking about the idea and it started to seem more feasible.

1) Email, BBM and all the pim apps on a device could have a market. perhaps a mass market (albeit a market yet to be defined) such as for business that are not ready to give there employees a full service phone due to unnecessary costs

2) the popularity of BBM and other messaging apps in the emerging markets makes me think it could be a way to get the BB technology in the hands of more people in those regions

3) Emergency situations, employees in the field/remote locations using GPS tracking, come to mind. More expensive devices are used for this currently.

4) Possibly having a call option that can be switched on or off depending on use/needs. when you think about it, there is a lot of business where the communication doesn't need to be a voice call and the BES/BIS might take care of communication needs of those customers.

5) With music features it becomes a ipod on steroids!!

6) All the above without the expense of a voice and data plan, just BIS or BES and it starts to make for some interesting possibilities IMO. I want one!! any thoughts/improvements/additions.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 04-01-12 at 07:33 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-12 06:04 AM
    Just out of interest, how would all the messages and services be delivered if you have no data plan?
    04-01-12 06:10 AM
    I'm thinking that they would got through RIMs NOC. With a BIS or BES plan.
    04-01-12 06:24 AM
    I'm thinking that they would got through RIMs NOC. With a BIS or BES plan.
    And how would they reach the NOC?
    04-01-12 07:11 AM
    I would still need a phone but it might work for some people. I don't mind carrying my phone and pb because I don't always have to have my pb everywhere I go. But I don't want to carry a phone that always has to be with me and another phone that doesn't have voice that always has to be with me.
    04-01-12 07:25 AM
    The latest podcast was really good.

I would love to see a BlackBerry with just a messaging plan. He suggested that you could add features such as Internet, Twitter al la Carte.

Maybe could add pay per minute?

Personally, I use less than 100 minutes a month and would love to drop my voice plan.

Anyone who hasn't listened to the latest crackberry podcast should do so.
    04-01-12 07:29 AM
    And how would they reach the NOC?
    An agreement with the carriers if thats whats needed. perhaps someone more knowlegable can fill in the posibilities, but the idea is BIS/BES service with out the cost of a voice plan.
    04-01-12 07:30 AM
    I would still need a phone but it might work for some people. I don't mind carrying my phone and pb because I don't always have to have my pb everywhere I go. But I don't want to carry a phone that always has to be with me and another phone that doesn't have voice that always has to be with me.
    True for many people. When you conceder how small sleek and sexy they could make that baby. Many people might not mind. others might just say yes for things like BBM alone.
    Connected car, NFC entrance... Voice to BBM? I'd buy one, Guaranteed
    Last edited by Dapper37; 04-01-12 at 07:44 AM.
    04-01-12 07:41 AM
    Doesn't this device already exist - pronto? something like that?
    04-01-12 07:46 AM
    Doesn't this device already exist - pronto? something like that?
    Theres a few in every thread! why I bother to reply I don't know. but I've never heard of the prontoBerry! if it don't have BBM no thanks. Maybe you have it on your Lumina?
    04-01-12 08:15 AM
    Lol, you can already get a Blackberry with a data only SIM, at least you can in UK, problem is it costs just as much monthly if you get one with calls.
    04-01-12 08:17 AM
    The latest podcast was really good.

I would love to see a BlackBerry with just a messaging plan. He suggested that you could add features such as Internet, Twitter al la Carte.

Maybe could add pay per minute?

Personally, I use less than 100 minutes a month and would love to drop my voice plan.

Anyone who hasn't listened to the latest crackberry podcast should do so.
    Technically you can have this in UK on a pre pay sim, BIS costs 5 per month and calls are charged per minute as long as you have credit. You have to make sure you have 5 credit when BIS is due as they'll disconnect it and you have to go trough the activation again. If you have the credit it's seamless.
    04-01-12 08:19 AM
    I guess the adoption driver for people would be price. If RIM can answer the equation they could possibly reap services fees!
    04-01-12 08:27 AM
    Theres a few in every thread! why I bother to reply I don't know. but I've never heard of the prontoBerry! if it don't have BBM no thanks. Maybe you have it on your Lumina?
    blimey.. I'm only trying to engage in polite conversation - who put the stick up your arse?

This is the device I was thinking of - the Peek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek_(m...nternet_device)
    04-01-12 08:54 AM
    I guess it would work for some. For me though, voice calls are my number one use. All the rest is gravy.
    04-01-12 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD