Ok so I have wireless internet with at&t for my laptop and I was wondering if I could get rid of it and just use my cell for internet access? I have heard that you can use the blackberry disc to set up an internet connection using your phone with bluetooth. I guess my question is, can I get rid of my internet and just use my phone to go online through my computer?
    06-05-09 05:31 PM
    You can connect to the internet using your phone. It's called "tethering", see my signature for a thread link that explains how to do it.

Now for the bad news. Unless you're on T-Mobile (sorry, can't see your carrier on the mobile site), you'll get charged for the privilege. TMo is the only carrier that allows free tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 06:05 PM
    you dont have a signature!!!! and I'm on verizon. I thought I could just use my phones bluetooth to get an internet connection with my computer?
    06-05-09 06:09 PM
    Also its not gonna be very fast

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 08:04 AM
    he doesn't have a signature because he posted from his Blackberry.. check his profile for his signature here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/members/hubermania/

With AT&T you are going to have to add Tethering as a service on your account and pay a lot more every month. If you switch to T-Mobile you can currently Tether for free, but unless you unlock your Pearl (make it useable on other GSM carriers), you won't be able to use it on T-Mobile at all. Also, if the Pearl has 3g on ATT, it probably won't have 3g with T-mobile unless it has the T-Mobile frequency.

So, if you get rid of internet with your laptop, you're still probably going to pay almost the same monthly for tethering, and it will probably be slower as well, since the laptop cards and usb sticks are built for the specific purpose of internet usage on a laptop, and then you are guaranteed 3g speeds too.
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 02:14 AM.
    06-08-09 02:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD