Yesterday, I was at the pool, and some **** thought it would be "funny" to intentionally splash me...while I was on the phone. It wasn't like he couldn't see that I was on the phone...or that he couldn't see the phone at all. Even when I was mad at him for it, he thought it was funny. He laughed as he asked me if I had insurance. When I said yes, he seemed to just brush it off until I reminded him it doesn't cover water damage. The friends I was with just wanted me to calm down and kept trying to tell me it was fine, but I was not calming down until I knew for certain my phone was not toast. I dried it off, pulled the battery, and once it was totally dry I rebooted it. The only problem I've seen so far is that I had to reset all my ringtone settings, but I'm still nervous.

You would think tht if it hasn't died on me yet it should be fine? Right?
    07-28-08 08:54 AM
    jennlee get my gun!
    are you sure it was totally dry?
    id be quite certain, maybe take out the battery and put it in a bag of dried rice
    07-28-08 09:04 AM
    My question is, why did you have it that close to the pool anyway?
    07-28-08 09:06 AM
    Traumatic!! That ***** needs a beatdown. A lot of judges have blackberries these days, they'd understand the extenuating circumstances!

I'd go with the rice, though, if you have any doubts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 09:11 AM
    When he asked you, if "you had insurance", I would have explained to him/her that you are now going to need to see their identification, as their deliberate act is a crime, and civil offense, and that they, not the insurance company will be paying for the cost of a new phone. Oh, and the fact that the phone costs over $400 makes it a felony, Any because you do have insurance, it is their attorneys that will be coming after you for damages not me.

And I'd then call the police and have him arrested, and identified.

Don't think the ***** will think it's a fun thing to do after that.

Also, I would not have attempted to turn it back on until completely dry (like a day later), and also not when they were present so that they would have no idea what their little act of stupidy was going to cost them.

Finally, what is really important is the color of the water damage indicators on your phone and battery. Regardless of if the phone "works", if those are triggered, you should consider it toast and demand they replace it with a new phone.

Good luck
    07-28-08 09:18 AM
    ok a bag of rice it is. I let it dry over night by a fan, but I'm going to go the safer than sorry route. Yeah I know why was I even close enough to let this happen? I was probably a good 5 feet away and getting directions relaying directions from another friend in the pool usually my phone is tucked away in my waterproof bag at least 10 ft from the pool...and keeping me out of splash zones to avoid this happening.
    07-28-08 09:26 AM
    Sir I can sence the anger in your voice. I agree with the last post. You **** with my BB and it's a must that I **** with you. Especially since you think it's funny.

07-28-08 09:29 AM
    So you are saying it partially her fault for walking near the pool? lol Whatever...
    07-28-08 09:36 AM
    Is this the modern rendition of the Jack LaLane kicking of sand in one's face?

There is nothing new under the sun.
    07-28-08 09:42 AM
    Because you should have the convenience of using your Berry wherever you please... *sigh*

It is not his fault that some d*ck@ss at the pool did that!

Many people do not revolve their life around their Berry, let alone protecting it from dumb@ss people!
    07-28-08 09:48 AM
    Dude, sorry to hear that. But yes, let you berry sleep overnight without the battery in a baggie of rice.
    Good luck with the *$$hole. That thought it was funny. Should have thrown all his stuff in the pool.
    =8?)

07-28-08 09:48 AM
    Finally, what is really important is the color of the water damage indicators on your phone and battery.
    Good luck
    Where is the water damage indicator on the phone?
    07-28-08 09:58 AM
    With new electronics, sometimes they'll come on once or twice before dying. My son's Shuffle came on 1 time after getting washed. Then it died.

Patrick's right about getting the moron's name and information. I'd call the police and file a report. Things like this are often called civil matters, but that could be good for you. Small claims court is easy to use and if you have a police report it'll be a slam dunk.

Collecting is easy if he has a job. If you ever get that far, pm me and I'll tell you how to do it. I had to get vet bills paid when some joker hurt one of our horses. There's no deductible in court, they'll make him pay everything plus interest.

07-28-08 10:34 AM
    I did get the moron's info...and well I do know where he lives regardless. The *good* good news is that it doesn't appear that the moisture indicators have activated. My friends didn't understand why I was so upset, and they made me even more angry, but I still managed to get his contact info and told him that if in fact the phone was dead he *would* be buying me a new one. If the phone was dead after dryout, I would be in touch. I'm hoping it won't get to that point. Again, Thanks all for your help.

ok this cracks me up...moron doesn't get *bleeped* but other less or maybe equally offensive ones are...sorry
    Last edited by Jennlee; 07-28-08 at 11:29 AM.
    07-28-08 11:07 AM
    I did get the *****'s info...and well I do know where he lives regardless. The *good* good news is that it doesn't appear that the moisture indicators have activated. My friends didn't understand why I was so upset, and they made me even more angry, but I still managed to get his contact info and told him that if in fact the phone was dead he *would* be buying me a new one. If the phone was dead after dryout, I would be in touch. I'm hoping it won't get to that point. Again, Thanks all for your help.
    regardless if the phone dies or not, the damage was caused by someone else and you should begin the procedure to sue this person.

If something else goes wrong with the phone after it fully recovers, and you attempt to have it exchanged by your carrier, the first thing they are going to look at is that sticker on the battery (or wherever it is). Whether or not the problem originated from there, you will not be covered.

Make that *bleep* buy you a new phone, you can even keep your phone until the new one comes out, think of it as a free upgrade...lol....

If the person does not have a job or bank account, the court will not enforce it because they deem you responsible for attaining the necessary information for the source of the money.
    07-28-08 11:14 AM
    after my pearl has spent the night in a baggie of rice, I am happy to say that the water damage indicators still have NOT been activated, I'm still considering having the moron buy me a new phone because what he did was rude and very uncalled for and I'm not totally sure that there was not any damage done. I mean if my ringtone settings were erased, who knows what other problems are out there. There are some apps I only use once a week or so, not to mention who knows what damage the chemicals from the pool will ending up doing....at any rate thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Jennlee; 07-29-08 at 08:09 AM. Reason: because really....I can spell
    07-29-08 08:09 AM
    When he asked you, if "you had insurance", I would have explained to him/her that you are now going to need to see their identification, as their deliberate act is a crime, and civil offense, and that they, not the insurance company will be paying for the cost of a new phone. Oh, and the fact that the phone costs over $400 makes it a felony, Any because you do have insurance, it is their attorneys that will be coming after you for damages not me.

And I'd then call the police and have him arrested, and identified.

Don't think the ***** will think it's a fun thing to do after that.

Also, I would not have attempted to turn it back on until completely dry (like a day later), and also not when they were present so that they would have no idea what their little act of stupidy was going to cost them.

Finally, what is really important is the color of the water damage indicators on your phone and battery. Regardless of if the phone "works", if those are triggered, you should consider it toast and demand they replace it with a new phone.

Good luck
    By the way...it is illegal however to give out legal advice if you are not an attorney ... (No offense) .. lol
    07-29-08 12:40 PM
    Here's the funny thing... Sprint does not cover against water damage. Verizon, however, DOES cover water damage. They use the same insurance company.
    07-29-08 12:45 PM
    I did get the moron's info...and well I do know where he lives regardless. The *good* good news is that it doesn't appear that the moisture indicators have activated. My friends didn't understand why I was so upset, and they made me even more angry, but I still managed to get his contact info and told him that if in fact the phone was dead he *would* be buying me a new one. If the phone was dead after dryout, I would be in touch. I'm hoping it won't get to that point. Again, Thanks all for your help.

ok this cracks me up...moron doesn't get *bleeped* but other less or maybe equally offensive ones are...sorry
    I would still tell him the phone died and get him to pay for a new one.
    07-29-08 01:55 PM
    Here's the funny thing... Sprint does not cover against water damage. Verizon, however, DOES cover water damage. They use the same insurance company.
    Yeah, I noticed that when I was reviewing my Assurian paperwork last night.
    Last edited by axel2078; 07-29-08 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
    07-29-08 02:11 PM
    WOW�u handled that better then I would have. Especially since the person saw ur bb and knew u where talking on it. I don�t care if u where standing by the edge of the pool. He should have waited till u put the phone down or something since he wanted to be childish. My friends would have had to pull me off dude. I would have atleast blacked one eye and busted his lip before they got me off of him!

Alteast ur bb is doing ok�hope it doesn�t mess up on u down the road because of one dumba**!!!
    07-29-08 03:37 PM
    Just like sprint doesn't offer mms 2their bb's...but i wonder y no water damage if they use the same insurance company
    07-29-08 03:38 PM
    That's horrible. I would be SOOO fuming mad and someone would definitely be buying me a shiny new phone. Too bad they couldn't wait to ruin it until the Bold came out!
    07-29-08 03:41 PM
    You are much calmer than I would have been

07-29-08 03:48 PM
    Obviously the ***** is a horse's ****. I have a pool and will not put up with that crap yet we still have loads of fun. Do you know the guy? Public pool? I think he owes you a new unit. Call the cops and file a property damage complaint if you're angry enough about it.
    07-29-08 03:55 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD