They sold 170 thousand 9981s. 30 thousand 9982s.

At 2 thousand a piece. That's 400 million dollars.

If anything, it's making them a hell of a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 02:58 PM
    Volkswagen owns Bentley. Volkswagen is making tons of money. And again. Your smart remark is backed up by nothing. Do you read my other posts? Those companies you speak of aren't in trouble of going under. BlackBerry is in rough waters.

Posted via Q10RR
    Limited knowledge is always very dangerous. I am talking about Bentley. This car belongs to premium segment. Tell me what is the contribution of Bentley in total turnover of Volkwagen. Figures will be startling revelation.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:19 PM
    This seems like a joke. Sold for way too much money. I feel like they could be putting the money they used to develop this device on other things like idk......marketing? Improving the OS? In my honest opinion I feel like it's a waste of their time and money. This is what? The 2nd? 3rd porsche design? They don't have the right focus.

Posted via Q10RR
    They make back WAY more than they spend. And it enhances the brand image as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:27 PM
    They make back WAY more than they spend. And it enhances the brand image as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    And you could say the same about Bugatti.

The Bugatti Veyron was made to prove a point.

They made it, because they could...

It costs more to make/build a Bugatti Veyron, than it does to buy one.

So why make these things. Because they can.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-24-14 05:13 PM
    A while back when I was a consultant, (overseas) it would be normal to see 5/10 Porche design BB's at the conference table. The rest were ALL Blackberries.

The US market is important, but overseas is another world.

I was the black sheep with a 9810, but I needed the UMA calling.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:11 AM
    It's not a waste at all. Start with a phone that's already made, tweak a handful of the assets and have the Porsche Design people do all of the external design. High profit for minimal effort.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:18 AM
    Not a waste of time or money at all. Agree with all previous comments. I have been getting compliments on my p'9981 black matte edition. And last I checked Amazon has 2 left in stock! That's it. They're All gone and I searched all over the internet. As for the device itself. It feels heavy in the hand. Feels premium. I love it and have no regrets in my purchase. At all. It's solid.
    09-27-14 10:23 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is wasting money on Porsche Design phones. I think customers who purchase them are wasting money, but to each his own I guess.

Also, please don't use car analogies with this. High end cars are typically of much higher quality than a family car, with drastically higher performance. So they allow someone to show off their wealth a bit (if you are into that kind of thing) but are also demonstrably better in quality and performance. Porsche Design phones just look different and show off wealth. That's it. It would be like Chevy changing the body shape of a Cruze slightly, adding a spoiler and selling it at the price of a corvette.
    09-27-14 10:42 AM
    If they can sell a year and half old device with a fancy new outer case, a slightly different UI, and a "special" PIN for $2000 while the device it is based on sells for $349, then it seems to be neither a waste of time or money. If there are people out there dumb enough to throw money for antiquated tech in a fancy shell then exploit them.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-14 11:03 AM
    They keep making them so I'm assuming they are getting something out of them or I don't think they'd bother at this point. Chen has shown he's fiscally responsible and I really don't think that he'd be willing to waste money on these devices if the company wasn't making some type of profit off of them. Also remember that this one could have already been in the works before Chen took the helm. What will be interesting is if they make another one which I would think would be under his watch.
    What he said.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a Passport Porsche Design. That thing has exclusive written all over it.
    09-27-14 11:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Source? Not saying I don't believe you but it'd be nice to know
    09-27-14 11:35 AM
    They're devices with $250 worth of hardware selling for upwards of $2000 at that point yes it is worth it and yes they are making a killing in terms of profit.
    I won't use a car analogy but in terms of phones have you seen a vertu in public before??? Because they're even more expensive and seem to do well as every year they have a new line of models out that sell.

Point is there is a market for every kind of buyer and as long as there is profit they should continue.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    09-27-14 01:45 PM
    Volkswagen owns Bentley. Volkswagen is making tons of money. And again. Your smart remark is backed up by nothing. Do you read my other posts? Those companies you speak of aren't in trouble of going under. BlackBerry is in rough waters.

Posted via Q10RR
    Sorry but by your own logic if volkswagon who owns Bently hasn't cancelled the line it is logical to assume they're as you say making a ton of money.
    Wouldn't the same apply to BlackBerry who have let go of thousands of employees? I mean if they're cutting waste and costs this would have been scrapped long ago. But much like volkswagon they are making a mint so your argument is pointless.
    Just someone with a need to complain about some thing.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    09-27-14 01:50 PM
    You need to get to an airport more often. You will see quite a few Porsche Design devices.

To some people, $2k is not a lot of money. You are not in the Porsche Design target market. Just because YOU don't think anyone is going to buy it doesn't mean nobody is going to buy it. You are NOT everyone.

I love Porsche Design products. I can't afford anything, but I love the industrial design.

I'd love to see a Porsche Design Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 01:54 PM
    This seems like a joke. Sold for way too much money. I feel like they could be putting the money they used to develop this device on other things like idk......marketing? Improving the OS? In my honest opinion I feel like it's a waste of their time and money. This is what? The 2nd? 3rd porsche design? They don't have the right focus.

Posted via Q10RR
    Porsche Design are old Blackberrys with a new shell sold at 5x or 6x the price... I see A LOT of profit here.
    09-27-14 02:00 PM
    Cause you can't afford the phone doesn't mean they should stop making them. It's not for your payroll . And some people love the premium look of it. They sell quite a bit of these cause people can buy it with no sweat.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:27 PM
    Yeah waste time and money with something that wastes little time and makes lots of profit margin for little cost. For BlackBerry to drop this would be very stupid.

Brand image and prestige is improved while aligned to Porche Design.

I'm sure other brands would love to have this exclusive partnership.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:23 PM
43 12