Hello,

Im not a Blackberry user, but wanted to ask a question or two thats nagging me. Please be patient with me LOL

I have carried a smartphone for a number of years now. I have had a treo 700p, and recently purchased a XV6800 Windows Mobile 6.1 unit. I have also had various PDA's over the years, my favorite having been the Palm Tungsten, which was eventually stolen. I also had a Dell Axim PDA with Windows Mobile that I could connect to my phone via a wireless connection. Windows Mobile seemed clumsy to me, and I eventually went to the Palm Treo to have both units in one.

My phone carrier is Verizon and I am thrilled with them. The phone is a company issued device and we have an Exchange 2003 server which handles email, calendars bla bla bla. Syncing with the Exchange Server is a must for me. I run the IT department at my office so I have a better than good knowledge of IT issues.

I loved the Palm device because of its simplicity. It recently became less than functional, just worn out I suppose.

So I picked the XV6800 last week. I have it set up, yet there is something about it I dont like, but I cant put my finger on it. I dont like the tiny menus, and dont know why Microsoft seems to think that my phone needs to have the look and feel of a tiny PC.

Of course, it read MS Office documents natively. And I can remote access my PC if I need to. So thats a comfort zone for me, a PC user. I am not crazy about the slide out keyboard, its just a little clumsy for me. (Perhaps I should have picked out the Palm 750w?)

Windows mobile seems to tire easily and I hate the windows explorer browser.

But is the Blackberry better? My wife carries a BB Curve and its been reliable for her. She isnt what I consider a power user however. She checks PoP mail does some surfing, takes pictures, and thats about it.

I looked at the Curve, the Worldphone and the Storm. I didnt like the Storm at all. I like the look and feel of the Worldphone, but dont like that it doesnt have a camera. Not sure on the curve, but I do like the phones form factor.

So, being an inquiring mind, I thought I would ask the experts here.

Why would you recommend the Blackberry?
    Is Blackberry here to stay?
    Is the BB going to sync with my exchange server? (Verizon says that it will be using a service from verizon)
    Is the Blackberry capable of editing office documents?
    Are there things I can do on a BB that I cant on Win Mobile?
    Would our organization benefit from standardizing on BB?

Please let me know if you think I would like the Blackberry, or if an upcoming BB would be better suited for me, or just stick with me Windows device.

Thanks in advance,

chaz
    Last edited by chaznsc; 12-13-08 at 01:15 PM.
    12-13-08 01:09 PM
    1- I would recommend the Blackberry for it's reliability and being the best at retrieving email. Not only that, it is top notch for security.

2- RIM/Blackberry I definitely feel could stay (in this economy, no one is safe), as long as they play their cards right.

3- Blackberry syncs with Exchange servers as I have one on the BES and works well syncing with my mail, contacts, and calendar.

4- Yes, with the 4.5 OS or better, you can edit office documents. To create, you need to purchase the full version over at the CB STORE.

5- Blackberry Messenger is something winmo can't do. This ties into #6 as a benefit for your company. I'm a manager at AT&T and we use it constantly to keep in contact. You can set up chats and discuss certain topics, issues, meetings, or fun things with group messaging on the messenger.

All in all, I think you would benefit and love the Blackberry. I came from windows mobile and treos and notice a big difference. Too many menus (and in your case small ones) from windows mobile. Palm is definitely outdated and needs to get with the program.

There will always be an upcoming Blackberry, but no real word on any that is near.

Welcome to the site...
    12-13-08 01:41 PM
    Yeah I have tried a few different versions of both OS' and BlackBerry has always been the smoother more pleasing system to use.
    12-13-08 01:46 PM
    What about the Exchange Sync? I dont think we could swing a BES server now for one phone. Someone told me there was another alternative to a full BES. Also, the guy at Verizon told me that their service allowed me access to the Exchange server. Above everything elese, this is top priority.

Also, is the MESSENGER app you speak of a text messenging client? On my wife's curve, all her text messages are in her message portal, where email and everything else is.

My win mobile does text messaging also however., so i ddint follow your post exactly.

Thanks so much for the responses.
    12-13-08 01:52 PM
    I am in your boat somewhat - been using WM for about 3 years now. I have to say that I am seriously looking at a BB now primarily for the screen - the Storm - but also because I don't have consistent options to make fonts/browser pages large enough to read well (failing eyes). That and the fact that you can't be too far from an electrical outlet with just about any WM device. As far as I know, you should be able to get to your Exchange server via BIS (I use a hosted exchange service who will support me with BES if I change to a BB). Others will have to chime in on how that works, but in essence your Exchange mail is routed through the web to your phone.
    12-13-08 03:25 PM
    Everyone here is so helpful. I really would like the BOLD, but Verizon doesnt have that model yet (ever?) SO I may go with the Curve and see how I like it.

I would like to resolve the Exchange server sync since I cannot forsee us implemeting a BES with one phone.
    Last edited by chaznsc; 12-13-08 at 03:36 PM.
    12-13-08 03:30 PM
    well if you dont like the tiny menu's of windows mobile then you can also try spb mobile shell.
    but i can tell you from personel experience i had treos for the past 5yrs and i used the palm os untill i got sick of waiting for some sort of update to come out. then i went to the 800w with winmo and i liked it for a bit but the tiny menu's and everything else on the screen made it pretty impossible to even use the touchscreen.
    i am now using a curve and i dont even look back at the treos.
    battery life,reception,emails,os, camera, and web browsing is sooooo much better than the treos and not to mention it is alot!!!!! slimmer than any treo i have ever used.
    i can gaurentee you if you go to a bb you will never look back at the treo's ever again.
    12-13-08 03:52 PM
    I've never had a windows mobile phone myself, but several of my friends and co workers have, they all have blackberry's now.

My 8330 has gone above and beyond my expectations, from organization to multimedia and web browsing. Like any piece of technology it lags and freezes once in a while, but I pretty much have no problems. I'm on my second version of the BB OS (4.5), which both upgrading and using is a breeze. Any problems I have or have had I just counsel the experts (other CB addicts).
    12-13-08 04:38 PM
    Ive Had Wm Before...and I Didnt Really Like It... But Then Again...maybe It Was The Phone I Had Lol
    12-13-08 07:34 PM
    I had a BB, switched to the Palm Treo 800w, lasted exactly 4 days..went back to the BB. I found that I missed the BB Messenger, I got my email MUCH faster when it was pushed directly to the phone, and the battery life was HORRIBLE!

I am sooo happy since I went back to the Curve..won't ever switch again.
    12-14-08 12:27 AM
    I use the 8830, its okay if you go places that don't allow cameras and travel world mode works well with a SIM card... but the keys are to close for me and the ringer volume sucks

I also use the pearl. Nice small compact device, but to small for allot of hardcore use.

The storm is okay but still needs work IMO but if you tried it and didn't like it, then don't get it since you might return it quickly and be back where you are now....

The curve is my main device.... keys are great for typing and the form factor fits well in pocket or hand..... The display is well for reading all sorts of stuff and browsing.... plus you can here the loud ringer..

I say go try the devices more and more then choose. but get something you like.......

Good luck.
    12-14-08 12:49 AM
    Simple answer... YES, the BlackBerry can handle your exchange server with no problem. You mentioned that you like the Palm Treo's "simplicity"... well you haven't seen simplicity yet until you own a BlackBerry curve or Bold, etc. You will get a LOT more done a WHOLE lot faster than any Palm or WM device hands down! The BlackBerry OS is by far more intuitive than WM or Palm. Go with BlackBerry... "it just works". If you still have doubts just ask for more opinions. Verizon has a great network, you won't be dissapointed with the Blackberry or the network. Good Luck.
    12-14-08 01:01 AM
    BB messenger uses the Blackberry data and it's like instant messaging for bb users only. It only uses the data.
    12-14-08 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD