If you're happy with the extra steps for navigating between accounts and the longer travel distances to the left bezel doesn't bother you, and you don't mind having to pick up your phone to know which accounts have unread messages, then Android is fine

Posted with my trusty Z10
    But you said earlier in another thread that your email usage backs to the old ways, using computer instead of phone, which one is true actually?

What extra steps you're talking about?There is no extra steps for navigating accounts. And what's "longer travel distance to the left bezzel"? The bezzel is there from the very beginning, it doesn't get any longer by time, its static.

Seriously I've seen/met some people with hardcore mobile mail before. I could understand if it's just replying conversations, forwarding mail, making a new one, or reviewing things across mails. But I've never seen one doing the entire works on phone. I've never seen anybody doing 20 contracts with 50 pages or more each, and reviewing them by conversation with mails on a phone. Ridiculous. It sounds to me that you just made up your work scenarios just to justify the BB10 or why you prefer one.
    Last edited by chain13; 06-02-19 at 10:48 PM.
    06-02-19 10:32 PM
    Can't do much about the LED, sorry. But what are you talking about swiping in from left side in that view? The only swiping available is filing messages.

Attachment 444674
    In BB10, the user can swipe up and to the right from anywhere on the screen in any app to "peek" into all Hub inboxes to look for those with unread messages, and the number if unread messages for each. This also works inside the Hub, so that swiping up and to the right does not file messages, unlike swiping directly to the right. In Android this action is only available inside the Hub, by swiping from the left bezel, which requires two hands for me.

06-03-19 11:10 AM
    But you said earlier in another thread that your email usage backs to the old ways, using computer instead of phone, which one is true actually?

What extra steps you're talking about?There is no extra steps for navigating accounts. And what's "longer travel distance to the left bezzel"? The bezzel is there from the very beginning, it doesn't get any longer by time, its static.

Seriously I've seen/met some people with hardcore mobile mail before. I could understand if it's just replying conversations, forwarding mail, making a new one, or reviewing things across mails. But I've never seen one doing the entire works on phone. I've never seen anybody doing 20 contracts with 50 pages or more each, and reviewing them by conversation with mails on a phone. Ridiculous. It sounds to me that you just made up your work scenarios just to justify the BB10 or why you prefer one.
    When I'm on my Z10, I can avoid email on my PC, but I'm transitioning to Android, where I tend to wait and respond on PC. So it depends on which device I'm using.

In BB10, you don't have to reach to the left bezel to peek at email account. You can start from any location on the screen. Also, you can do this from any screen in any app.

chain13 likes this.
    06-03-19 11:36 AM
    When I'm on my Z10, I can avoid email on my PC, but I'm transitioning to Android, where I tend to wait and respond on PC. So it depends on which device I'm using.

In BB10, you don't have to reach to the left bezel to peek at email account. You can start from any location on the screen. Also, you can do this from any screen in any app.

It's interesting, how different people adjust to various situations. With BBOS and BB10 I took care of what I had to and would be put off doing things after a certain point because I'd get frustrated from being held up by searching for email as my inbox filled up and got clogged. Before Aquamail I used Inbox, and the Snooze function was a game changer. Nowadays I hit inbox zero almost daily and keep it there. Especially after my employer banned mobile devices. 😂
    06-03-19 01:11 PM
    In BB10, the user can swipe up and to the right from anywhere on the screen in any app to "peek" into all Hub inboxes to look for those with unread messages, and the number if unread messages for each. This also works inside the Hub, so that swiping up and to the right does not file messages, unlike swiping directly to the right. In Android this action is only available inside the Hub, by swiping from the left bezel, which requires two hands for me.

I did the slight pull to the right to show unread and scroll through accounts, which is why I feel at home with Aquamail and two pane view. I don't miss swiping up and right because of the notification shade and home screen access.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-03-19 01:41 PM
    I did the slight pull to the right to show unread and scroll through accounts, which is why I feel at home with Aquamail and two pane view. I don't miss swiping up and right because of the notification shade and home screen access.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really am a pretty skilled Android user at this point, but there really is no way to solve my two biggest issues in Android: the rotating LED colors which allow me to leave my phone on my desk when there isn't a relevant unread message; and the ability to peek into all my accounts from anywhere with a convenient one-handed gesture. There are a million things I can do on my KEYone that I can't do on my Z10 but the main thing I do all day (stay on top of hundreds of important emails across multiple accounts while away from my desk) is still better in my Z10.

Trying to do the same thing on my KEYone takes a lot more effort, honestly, and isn't worth it. It's easier to do what most people do with email.on mobile: triage it and answer later on a counter whenever possible.

06-03-19 03:40 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really am a pretty skilled Android user at this point, but there really is no way to solve my two biggest issues in Android: the rotating LED colors which allow me to leave my phone on my desk when there isn't a relevant unread message; and the ability to peek into all my accounts from anywhere with a convenient one-handed gesture. There are a million things I can do on my KEYone that I can't do on my Z10 but the main thing I do all day (stay on top of hundreds of important emails across multiple accounts while away from my desk) is still better in my Z10.

Trying to do the same thing on my KEYone takes a lot more effort, honestly, and isn't worth it. It's easier to do what most people do with email.on mobile: triage it and answer later on a counter whenever possible.

I still can't believe there is someone out there prefers thing over another due to unnecessary features (led to peek, swipe to peek)

While hub icon always gives you badge number of unread messages. Hub also has widget that shows inbox message directly on homescreen, no need to peek it's there. And the three softbuttons could be reprogram for opening hub directly by "press and hold" and hub is now accessible from anywhere, any app, any screen you're on. Straight, no fancy. Android has highest adoption rate (compared to others including ios) not without reason (except led and swipe LOL).
    06-04-19 04:16 AM
    I still can't believe there is someone out there prefers thing over another due to unnecessary features (led to peek, swipe to peek)

While hub icon always gives you badge number of unread messages. Hub also has widget that shows inbox message directly on homescreen, no need to peek it's there. And the three softbuttons could be reprogram for opening hub directly by "press and hold" and hub is now accessible from anywhere, any app, any screen you're on. Straight, no fancy. Android has highest adoption rate (compared to others including ios) not without reason (except led and swipe LOL).
    He’s not arguing the preference of the masses. He’s told you his preference and his preference only.
    chain13 likes this.
    06-04-19 06:24 AM
    I prefer peeking over widgets as well.
    06-04-19 07:17 AM
    Oh yes, everyone has their particular touch points on their most personal productivity device. Some even prefer physical keys (beyond keyboard) over touch screen input for their most repetitive tasks. BB convenience key and speed key differentiate over everyone else that has no physical keys.
    chain13 likes this.
    06-04-19 09:33 AM

Yes, Android is very popular as it meets the needs of many, but the way most people use their phones (taking photos, scrolling FB or Twitter or Instagram feeds, playing games, streaming music and video, blowing vehemently Internet, etc.) are irrelevant to me. I need a phone to manage high volume, mission critical email on multiple accounts while away from my computer.

The Hub widget on Android is great for a single account, but doesn't work for five. I run 2-3 companies, and I have accounts as an part-time executive in two others. In have to juggle all of these seamlessly, and it's just easier and more effective in BB10, even than it is on a PC, where I need multiple browser profiles to accomplish the same goal and can't monitor all accounts from a single screen without leaking data between domains.

chain13 likes this.
    06-04-19 10:39 AM
    The "power option" is often neglected in evaluating mobile devices. A replaceable battery is invaluable when needed. A sorry point totally neglected with phones now.
    Sure you can use optional power banks but who uses them?
    The use of permanent batteries is very poor design feature.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-19 10:44 AM
    The widget helps but it is in no way comparable to the Hub/Peek & Flow on BB10. With the widget all you can do is tap a message or icon and then it has to launch the app to complete the action. You can't long press, swipe, or have any other interaction with the message.

Another issue and something that's inherent to Android is the moment you open an app all notifications from a system level are gone. With BB10 (and even iOS IIRC) you can open an app and check out a few notifications and the rest will still be there.

BB10 didn't succeed in the marketplace but it was still built from the ground up with security and productivity in mind. When you make investments like that there will naturally be end benefits and features that other platforms don't have.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-04-19 10:51 AM
    The "power option" is often neglected in evaluating mobile devices. A replaceable battery is invaluable when needed. A sorry point totally neglected with phones now.
    Many travelers use power banks. But this thread is about features that BB has that no one else does. Just so no one is confused, I'll note here that BBs are like most in that they do NOT have replaceable batteries.
    06-04-19 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10

Carry around a spare battery that requires you to reboot the phone, or carry around small power bank that can recharge you phone multiple times, with no reboot.

I really don't have an issue with permanent batteries...
    06-04-19 02:30 PM
    Carry around a spare battery that requires you to reboot the phone, or carry around small power bank that can recharge you phone multiple times, with no reboot.

I really don't have an issue with permanent batteries...
    There are pros and cons. Permanent batteries give designers more flexibility and make it easier to make phones dust-proof and water-proof. But they also reduce the usable lifespan of devices. I have old iPhones and iPads that would make great WiFi gadgets for all sorts of purposes if the battery performance hadn't degraded to mimutes or seconds in some cases! I have an iPhone 3 that is the perfect size for my kid to use that will no longer hold any charge at all.

06-04-19 02:45 PM
    Given today's rapid chargers, mostly larger lithium cells, and generally more efficient displays and processors, most people could be virtually free from the wall hugging of the past with a little thought or planning.

Back in the day when phones had 1800mAh cells, 700mAh chargers, archaic displays, processors and software it was more of an issue IMO.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-04-19 02:47 PM
    There are pros and cons. Permanent batteries give designers more flexibility and make it easier to make phones dust-proof and water-proof. But they also reduce the usable lifespan of devices. I have old iPhones and iPads that would make great WiFi gadgets for all sorts of purposes if the battery performance hadn't degraded to mimutes or seconds in some cases! I have an iPhone 3 that is the perfect size for my kid to use that will no longer hold any charge at all.

Most permanent batteries are indeed, serviceable.
    06-04-19 02:49 PM
    I used to be a strong advocate of removable batteries also but i dont really care for it anymore, as long as the capacity is not underwhelmingly small, and the USB port is solid.

I would much prefer to have a sealed design with IP rating, but then the Galaxy S5 had the IP rating AND the removable battery, but I'm sure the sealed designs are better for water use.
    06-04-19 03:35 PM
    I think battery technology has advanced to the point where they survive the life of the device for most users who tend to "upgrade" every 2 yrs. For those who hang on longer, batteries are mostly replaceable if need be.

As far as IP ratings go, I'm still wondering why this is a necessity. I have had mobile phones since 2001 and have never lost one to water, dust, etc. I have dropped few and lost/misplaced only one.

I get that a for a lot of people their phone is their third arm, but a little care would go along way. But, maybe IP design and certification don't actually add much cost to a device? Dunno.
    Last edited by Platinum_2; 06-04-19 at 06:54 PM.
    06-04-19 04:28 PM
    So how many people who are that busy utilize their phones for such communication? I think the vast majority move to their computer. This is an outlier.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-04-19 06:05 PM
    So how many people who are that busy utilize their phones for such communication? I think the vast majority move to their computer. This is an outlier.
    Virtually no one. If that weren't the case BlackBerry Ltd. would have a very strong position in the marketplace right now and would still be manufacturing mobile phones.

There are far more people who utilize their mobile phones as entertainment and social media devices than as essential business tools.
    06-04-19 06:59 PM
    Virtually no one. If that weren't the case BlackBerry Ltd. would have a very strong position in the marketplace right now and would still be manufacturing mobile phones.

There are far more people who utilize their mobile phones as entertainment and social media devices than as essential business tools.
    Its true that for some tasks, nothing will replace a good old laptop.

But for intensive e-mailing, or typing long articles etc, doing it on a KEYberry should be far less frustrating than on glass.

There will always be many who will defend VKB to no end (kind of like me and PKB) but I doubt those very people would want to type alot on their slab, no matter how good the SwiftKey, Gboard, or BB VKB's are. It just feels kind of stale.

But hey, at least there's haptic feedback
    06-04-19 08:06 PM
    holy thread hijack...
    06-04-19 08:08 PM
    holy thread hijack...
    You must be new around here
    06-04-19 08:09 PM
182 ... 5678