I'm at 49% with 1% used by AoD.
    I don't know how to see that. In my battery details nothing called ambient light. So I guess aod is included in overall screen on time.
    Last edited by chain13; 05-25-19 at 07:09 AM.
    05-25-19 06:13 AM
    I don't know how to see that. In my battery details nothing called ambient light. So I guess aod is included in overall screen on time.
    On my 6t, it's Ambient Display; on my LG G6 it's two modules - Always-on display provider and Always-on display settings. So it could be something completely different depending on the manufacturer.

Also, look in Settings -> Apps and notifications -> All apps -> view system apps. Should be in there somewhere.
    05-26-19 12:04 AM
    On my 6t, it's Ambient Display; on my LG G6 it's two modules - Always-on display provider and Always-on display settings. So it could be something completely different depending on the manufacturer.

Also, look in Settings -> Apps and notifications -> All apps -> view system apps. Should be in there somewhere.
    Edit:

5hrs 48mins on AOD takes 4% of my battery (more than I expected). And with that I still got a day 4hrs battery life with more than 7hrs screen on time (note:FHD+ display)BlackBerry vs. Everyone else?-screenshot_20190528-023853_settings.jpeg
    05-27-19 02:44 PM
    Try and find another smartphone with a LED for notifications, a grippy back, a sturdy design, and a great battery.
    Tons of smartphones have LED notifications. My Galaxy S8 had an LED that supports at least 3 colors.

I don't know what other smartphones have this feature but it is not uncommon.
    05-27-19 07:44 PM
    Tons of smartphones have LED notifications. My Galaxy S8 had an LED that supports at least 3 colors.

Galaxy S10 - gone

Pixel 3 - gone

LG G8 ThinQ - gone

Nokia - none

Motorola - none

OnePlus 6T - gone

Huawei P30 - gone

Those are pretty much all of the popular ones.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-27-19 07:56 PM
    Galaxy S10 - gone

Pixel 3 - gone

LG G8 ThinQ - gone

Nokia - none

Motorola - none

OnePlus 6T - gone

Huawei P30 - gone

Yup, of the current generation phones, it's pretty safe to say that only BB stuck through with this awesome feature.
    05-27-19 08:11 PM
    Tons of smartphones have LED notifications.

I love this post. Apparently, the LED notification is so common you can't even name any phones that have them. Makes perfect sense.
    05-27-19 09:37 PM
    Galaxy S10 - gone

Pixel 3 - gone

LG G8 ThinQ - gone

Nokia - none

Motorola - none

OnePlus 6T - gone

Huawei P30 - gone

Samsung pushed a post launch update for S10 devices that gives them an LED indicator around the camera hole. Newer Nokia devices (like the 4.2) have one too around the power button.
    05-27-19 11:23 PM
    Samsung pushed a post launch update for S10 devices that gives them an LED indicator around the camera hole. Newer Nokia devices (like the 4.2) have one too around the power button.
    EdgeLighting for Samsung is only a rudimentary implementation - it doesn't work for most 3rd party apps when the screen is off.

Nokia uses the a glow around the power button on two models, yes. Just make sure the one edge is facing wherever you happen to be sitting.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-27-19 11:27 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that LED notifications were being deprecated from Android due to a lack of user interest and the various other methods for notifications that were becoming popular, so it's likely not really a manufacturer choice as much as a directive from Google (based on feedback from users, developers, and manufacturers).
    05-28-19 12:23 AM
    LED notifications for me became useless once AOD and Smart Watches came in.

I barely look at my phone now, just look at the Watch and keep my phone in my pocket, I even get Email previews, far more useful for me than an archaic LED notification from decades ago.
    chain13 and Mecca EL like this.
    05-28-19 01:43 AM
    LED = user preference. It's amazing how much a low power consuming and private flashing light (only understood by the user - similar to keyboard shortcuts) can tell you when you possess memory retention skills.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Pie. It's gotten to the point where BlackBerry needs a system-level permissions app to keep this "archaic" feature functioning properly.

NB - sometimes it seems using one's mind in the place of sensory bombardment has also become archaic.
    05-28-19 06:42 AM
    LED notifications for me became useless once AOD and Smart Watches came in.

I barely look at my phone now, just look at the Watch and keep my phone in my pocket, I even get Email previews, far more useful for me than an archaic LED notification from decades ago.
    And now you have one extra device to charge every day, just to be able to get your notifications without looking at the phone.

None of these "replacements" convince me that they're better than a simple and well implemented LED. None.

Who says consumers don't want em? Who? Did manufacturers make surveys for all handsets and ask what feature consumers really didn't want and they all answered "we hate that LED!" ??
    05-28-19 07:14 AM

Who says consumers don't want em? Who? Did manufacturers make surveys for all handsets and ask what feature consumers really didn't want and they all answered "we hate that LED!" ??
    It's something OEMs are willing to give up for the privilege of removing any and all bezels. Style over substance.
    05-28-19 07:49 AM
    Cost.... back when the original Droid lost it's keyboard, it was the cost that most taught was the reason. Android market was getting very competitive and sticking a keyboard that on a phone was expensive from a manufacturing and an support perspective.

Do wonder if they had kept the keyboard as an option, and built those cost in... what the difference in sales would have been that year and the next year?
    05-28-19 07:58 AM
    It's something OEMs are willing to give up for the privilege of removing any and all bezels. Style over substance.
    Right, just like the glass back (worst idea), protruding rear cameras (second worse), curved edges (unpractical), motorized selfie cams, and we can go on...

Can't believe most consumers are going along with it and praising this kind of design decisions
    05-28-19 08:01 AM
    Right, just like the glass back (worst idea), protruding rear cameras (second worse), curved edges (unpractical), motorized selfie cams, and we can go on...

Can't believe most consumers are going along with it and praising this kind of design decisions
    Consumers just want shiny, different and new design to upgrade each time a device is paid off. Consumerism drives the design timeline and OEM process for many products not just phones. Consumers are the cause for the changes with little input. OEMs and carriers use consumerism to drive needed sales and profits to stay in business.
    05-28-19 08:08 AM

How many times have I heard here that "people are getting bored with slabs" (even if they are, which I don't think is true for most, it doesn't mean they want a PKB)? Manufacturers try new and different things because sometimes they become very popular - and sometimes they don't.
    05-28-19 08:58 PM
    How many times have I heard here that "people are getting bored with slabs" (even if they are, which I don't think is true for most, it doesn't mean they want a PKB)? Manufacturers try new and different things because sometimes they become very popular - and sometimes they don't.
    I'm patiently waiting till mainstream consumers get bored with slabs

Do I need a lot of patience for this lol?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-28-19 09:14 PM
    Yup. slabs are here to stay. The overwhelming majority have adapted to the VKB and prefer larger displays. Innovation going forward will likely center around integrations. Components will be standardized (high-res displays, large battery cells and quality cameras)

For Android OEM's to survive they will need to focus on product placement in the marketplace and differentiation (rugged phones, business phones, phones for kids, etc., for example). The fight to be all things to people will not end well.

BBMo has this going for them somewhat, but they can't simply bank on the PKB. They need to bring something more to the table since BlackBerry software is available to anyone who wants it.
    05-28-19 10:07 PM

Sounds like you don't deserve future tech LOL.

Too many complain. Anybody with narrow minded better stay with feature phone with all (what what they call) substantial hardware (toolbelt, trackball, trackpad, led, set of buttons etc etc). LOL
    05-29-19 06:32 AM
    I'm patiently waiting till mainstream consumers get bored with slabs

Do I need a lot of patience for this lol?
    Yes.
    05-29-19 06:33 AM
    Consumers just want shiny, different and new design to upgrade each time a device is paid off. Consumerism drives the design timeline and OEM process for many products not just phones. Consumers are the cause for the changes with little input. OEMs and carriers use consumerism to drive needed sales and profits to stay in business.
    Only a few million people were ever really power users of BlackBerry phones and have any idea what's been lost. The rest of the world thinks newer is better, and are happy to let the OEMs decide.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-29-19 06:57 AM
    Remember, email is the feature neither Apple or Google want you to use on your phone, because it doesn't make them money when you write and read correspondence. They only want us consuming apps and media.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    the_boon likes this.
    05-29-19 07:01 AM
    I remember when FAXES were the real way to communicate... email will never last.
    anon(8004005) likes this.
    05-29-19 07:32 AM
182 12345 ...