Try and find another smartphone with a LED for notifications, a grippy back, a sturdy design, and a great battery.
    Pixel 3a with LED Blinker Pro, TCP case, polycarbonate body and 3000mAh battery with 15+ hour run time.

Also runs latest version of Android at all points in time and has probably one of the best cameras at its outrageously high price of $399 unlocked. Complete with all BlackBerry software including BlackBerry Keyboard, thanks to the Playstore and keyboard .apk.

I will concede it does not have a PKB, nor is it "hardened", but that was not in your stated criteria.

This is my wife's phone and it is pretty much superior to anything put out by BB Ltd. or BBMo in recent memory....
    pdr733, john_v, cribble2k and 1 others like this.
    05-23-19 01:25 PM
    Pixel 3a with LED Blinker Pro, TCP case, polycarbonate body and 3000mAh battery with 15+ hour run time.

Also runs latest version of Android at all points in time and has probably one of the best cameras at its outrageously high price of $399 unlocked. Complete with all BlackBerry software including BlackBerry Keyboard.

I will concede it does not have a PKB, nor is it "hardened", but that was not in your stated criteria.

This is my wife's phone and it is pretty much superior to anything put out by BB Ltd. or BBMo in recent memory....
    A case is cheating a bit.
    05-23-19 01:27 PM
    Maybe so, but most people use them.
    05-23-19 01:29 PM
    Maybe so, but most people use them.
    No need with a KEY²!
    05-23-19 01:33 PM
    Curious how many use/don't use a case with their K2? Seems like most everyone uses a case these days on their phones, in general.
    05-23-19 01:39 PM
    I use a belt clip case on all of my K's. Belt clip provides something to grasp while single thumbing.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry vs. Everyone else?-img_20181221_034424.jpg  
    05-23-19 01:50 PM
    No need with a KEY²!
    Well, if the rear camera didn't protrude like that (and it looks much more fragile than KEYone's and LE's) then I'd agree with you
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    05-23-19 04:13 PM
    Hasn't been an issue for me either... nor burn in. But then my S7 does have a notification LED too, that I really appreciate. Just a glance from across the room, and I know what account just got a message.
    Part of the non-attraction of the LED is that in my daily use there's never really been an opportunity to really take advantage of it. If I'm not holding it, my phone is either in my pocket or within arms reach. I took to disabling it when I had a 9550. Sacrilege, I know. But saves battery when it's not active.
    05-23-19 06:08 PM
    But saves battery when it's not active.
    If you must disable notification LED to save battery, then your phone either has Z10-like battery life, or you need to get it replaced lol
    John Albert likes this.
    05-23-19 06:18 PM
    If you must disable notification LED to save battery, then your phone either has Z10-like battery life, or you need to get it replaced lol
    One literally was a Z10, and it went all day on a single charge. And there weren't any battery issues - my mindset has always been if it's not getting use, it's getting deleted.
    05-23-19 06:50 PM
    Definitely wont be one outside of BlackBerry that has all of those.

The LED is pretty much effectively extinct now, if I recall correctly, the last gen Samsungs had it (but with the stupid 5 second intervals between each blink) and no more on the S10 (maybe the + has it).

The OnePlus 6 had it but no more after that
    And an SD card.
    05-23-19 07:03 PM
    What's the uniqueness of BlackBerry smartphones that other smartphones doesn't have?

Posted via CB10
    Keyboard that allows for 52 shortcuts, and that is also a tracked. Hub (1 place for all messing - What a concept!)
    skinnymike1 and idssteve like this.
    05-23-19 08:05 PM
    Lol, always on display is much more prone to burn-in and eats A LOT of battery.
    Compare that to a small, effective notification LED that has barely any impact whatsoever on the battery or any other component.
    Not true. Always on display just eats less than 1% of your whole battery life. Especially on amoled screen. Also, always on display is not static, every 5-10 minutes the layout will change position (maybe to reduce probability of screen burn on super amoled screen)
    cribble2k likes this.
    05-24-19 03:20 AM
    For the moment it is the keyboard and the shortcuts. And there is the "F(x)tec pro 1" due out later this year it's a slider device running Android and looks familiar to psion 5mx users.
    05-24-19 04:06 AM
    Not true. Always on display just eats less than 1% of your whole battery life. Especially on amoled screen. Also, always on display is not static, every 5-10 minutes the layout will change position (maybe to reduce probability of screen burn on super amoled screen)
    I believe it's 1% per hour, which means in an 18h day, 18% of battery will be eaten up by this feature, as opposed to maybe 2-3% from a LED blinking all day.
    05-24-19 08:21 AM
    I believe it's 1% per hour, which means in an 18h day, 18% of battery will be eaten up by this feature, as opposed to maybe 2-3% from a LED blinking all day.
    No, it means in an 18-hour day 1% of the 18 hours of battery life would be used. Not 1% an hour.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-24-19 08:45 AM
    No, it means in an 18-hour day 1% of the 18 hours of battery life would be used. Not 1% an hour.
    I seriously doubt that.
    05-24-19 09:10 AM
    I seriously doubt that.
    Doubt all you want, it doesn't change reality. When you look at battery stats, what you're seeing is percentage used of the total. If you're at 50% and an app says 5% used, that means it used 5% out of that used quantity. Not 5% per hour.
    John Albert and cribble2k like this.
    05-24-19 09:42 AM
    Doubt all you want, it doesn't change reality. When you look at battery stats, what you're seeing is percentage used of the total. If you're at 50% and an app says 5% used, that means it used 5% out of that used quantity. Not 5% per hour.
    I know that the stats don't represent hourly usage.

But unless the AOD feature is represented in the battery stats, you can't claim that AOD only uses 1% in a full day of 100% to 5%.
    05-24-19 11:19 AM

But unless the AOD feature is represented in the battery stats, you can't claim that AOD only uses 1% in a full day of 100% to 5%.
    People have tested it... "To put a real world example to these figures, let's say you take the Galaxy S7 Edge off the charger at 6am, and return it to charge at 10pm. If you left the phone untouched with the always-on display enabled, you'd expect to lose an extra nine percent of battery over the course of the day." (didn't say that was from 100% to 0%)

Of course the S7 is an older phone with a smaller battery size... in the end AOD uses about .08% of a watt per hour. I'm sure an LED blinking would use far less. But at this point with most modern devices that deliver well over a days charge... doubt AOD is much of an issue.
    05-24-19 11:30 AM

Even if it's not present with the apps using the most each app still reports its battery usage. I'll post mine in about 12 hours, as yet AoD hasn't moved the needle.
    05-24-19 11:46 AM
    Even if it's not present with the apps using the most each app still reports its battery usage. I'll post mine in about 12 hours, as yet AoD hasn't moved the needle.
    So if you were to leave your phone untouched for many hours with AOD, would you even see it in the stats as "Always-on display" or would it just blend in with "device idle" ?

Because if its the latter, not sure how to measure exactly how much its eating up, but its pretty obvious that it will be more than a small LED blinking
    05-24-19 12:50 PM
    So if you were to leave your phone untouched for many hours with AOD, would you even see it in the stats as "Always-on display" or would it just blend in with "device idle" ?

Because if its the latter, not sure how to measure exactly how much its eating up, but its pretty obvious that it will be more than a small LED blinking
    It's a system module - Ambient Display.
    05-24-19 02:08 PM
    Okay I believe you even if you haven't used one before

It does. I once left my phone at home with internet on and all background apps running (unplugged at 6am). I was back from work at 8pm at my phone was at 93%. And that 7% loss wasn't taken by the AOD, the system backgrounds did. I believe AOD itself only took less than 1% in entire battery life, or at least, less than 1% per hour.
    05-24-19 11:37 PM
    Okay I believe you even if you haven't used one beforeIt does. I once left my phone at home with internet on and all background apps running (unplugged at 6am). I was back from work at 8pm at my phone was at 93%. And that 7% loss wasn't taken by the AOD, the system backgrounds did. I believe AOD itself only took less than 1% in entire battery life, or at least, less than 1% per hour.
    I'm at 49% with 1% used by AoD.
    chain13 likes this.
    05-25-19 02:43 AM
182 1234 ...