ok, before i start with my with my question let me throw out a few disclaimers...

-first and foremost, i am not a blackberry user. nor will claim to know ANYTHING about a blackberry!

-ive done some reading on this site before ive posted this to make sure im not repeating anything (if i've missed a post plz forgive me).

-i will try my best to not refer to the Android powered phone as a smart phone and the blackberry as just a blackberry. ive noticed the blackberry community does not like that very much at all. (btw, i do agree that the blackberry is a smart phone, its just a diff kind of smart phone)

I am a smart phone user i have a galaxy s samsung vibrant, and i am very well in tune with the android software, ie. rooting, custom roms, kernals, oc, lagfix...things like this.
    but when it comes to the blackberry i am extremely lost, normally i wouldnt care but my wife decided to get one (even through all the convincing ive been trying to do ) i would like to be able to give her all the perks on her blackberry that i have on my android. ive done a little of looking but it all looks like a different language to me.
    could someone could plz point me in the right direction, or if im even on the right site.

Thank you in advance
    02-11-11 08:32 AM
    To answer you, it would help if you specified what perks that you have that she doesn't that you would like to give her. I'm not necessarily talking about rooting the phone, but... what are you rooting it for? What is it you want to do with it?

More importantly, before you do anything, what does your wife want? What does she feel is important? Is she happy with her BlackBerry experience as-is or is there something specific she is hoping for?

What specific phone did she get? What carrier? What OS?

You're on the right site.

My recommendation would be to look at the specific device and OS she has, then go to that device forum on this site. There are some things that are universal across an OS, but each device has its own quirks, and the people in those forums are used to working with that phone, and can help you best with the issues and tweaks specific to that phone.
    02-11-11 08:44 AM
    she has a BB curve, ill have to look at it further to see what kind of curve she has.
    but for instance i can DL a custom rom that someone created that makes my phone much quicker, in regards to file management, gps tracking, reduced waking lag, better battery life while the processor is being overclocked. things like that.
    i guess in not so many words, having my phone be my slave instead of me being a slave of my phone or provider.

she basicly wants to be able to get the most out of her phone, and make it her own (themed), instead of having the boring ol' stock phone
    02-11-11 09:07 AM
    she has a BB curve, ill have to look at it further to see what kind of curve she has.
    but for instance i can DL a custom rom that someone created that makes my phone much quicker, in regards to file management, gps tracking, reduced waking lag, better battery life while the processor is being overclocked. things like that.
    i guess in not so many words, having my phone be my slave instead of me being a slave of my phone or provider.

she basicly wants to be able to get the most out of her phone, and make it her own (themed), instead of having the boring ol' stock phone
    You are barking up the wrong tree, if you think you are going to modify the functions of a BB similarly to what you can do with an Android. Give it up!
    02-11-11 09:36 AM
    You are barking up the wrong tree, if you think you are going to modify the functions of a BB similarly to what you can do with an Android. Give it up!
    thats why i came here, to find out if i could
    02-11-11 09:49 AM
    thats why i came here, to find out if i could
    LOL! I got that from your first post.
    02-11-11 09:50 AM
    The closest you can get to 'souping up' a BB is installing a leaked or hybrid OS. Check out the Leaked/Beta OS and Hybrid OS forums for more device-specific info on that. Tons of themes not quite tons of apps for these things at the Crackberry App Store, BPlay.com, or BB App World. That's about as custom as you're gonna get.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    v91 likes this.
    02-11-11 09:52 AM
    i would say use her curve the way it is. Load a different broswer like bolt or opera maybe but otherwise you are pretty stuck with what you can do. You can also load a hybrid OS if she has problems with the current one loaded onto the phone. Maybe change a theme or something to make it look different.

As far as rooting, roms and kernels you wont find any of that with a BB.
    v91 likes this.
    02-11-11 09:56 AM
    Yeah, BB runs on rails. Not really a "hobby OS". And I understand the appeal of tearing down and rebuilding software. BTDT a bit.

On the other hand, her curve is about 80% keyboard and case, so there are a lot of variations possible with custom cases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    v91 likes this.
    02-11-11 10:31 AM
    Blackberrys are not highly customizable devices. That's not their propose. They are bare bones, just get the job done though it may not be pretty, devices. They just do the minimum it takes to message, e-mail, and light browse. If you are looking for a devices that can be tailored to work how you want it to & do more, Blackberry is not for you at this time.
    v91 likes this.
    02-11-11 10:56 AM
    I just switched from Android to BB and I LOVE MY BB!!! Im never leaving
    BrusBerry likes this.
    02-11-11 05:42 PM
    android VS BLACKBERRY!........WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS.
    02-11-11 06:48 PM
    i know, android is so superior its an easy choice to make right? ......

Note the sarcasim in my post
    02-11-11 07:00 PM
    Blackberrys are not highly customizable devices. That's not their propose. They are bare bones, just get the job done though it may not be pretty, devices. They just do the minimum it takes to message, e-mail, and light browse. If you are looking for a devices that can be tailored to work how you want it to & do more, Blackberry is not for you at this time.
    I disagreee

BB's are highly customizable, But they are not Hobbie customizable, they are so simple the non tech user can do it. Themes are huge customizable options, you can get your phone to look like the HTC Hero, or Windows 7, Or Ipod ish! so many UI changes.

to the OP
    your wife must have had a reason to get a Blackberry.
    What was that reason? and taking her phone away for hours to load Hyrbid OS's and risking losing her theme compatibility might get you in hot water
    02-11-11 07:03 PM
    I disagreee

BB's are highly customizable, But they are not Hobbie customizable, they are so simple the non tech user can do it. Themes are huge customizable options, you can get your phone to look like the HTC Hero, or Windows 7, Or Ipod ish! so many UI changes.

to the OP
    What was that reason? and taking her phone away for hours to load Hyrbid OS's and risking losing her theme compatibility might get you in hot water
    That's not very customizable at all. You're just changing a few icons and the wallpaper.
    02-11-11 07:10 PM
    I disagreee

to the OP
    i used to think themes could really make a difference too. **** it was more than iphone users could ever do. Then when i got my Incredible i really saw what kind of custimization was out there. Im not even talking roms. Widgets really make an phone fantastic. You can accomplish so much using widgets that required opening up apps before.

This is one thing QNX i hope, brings to RIMs phones
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-11-11 at 08:24 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-11-11 07:15 PM
    Themes do a little bit more than just changing colours and icons, though I will agree not to the level that Android Brings, but saying that Blackberry's are not customizable is a false statement.

There are themes with built in "widgets" I call them live icons, because I don't think they really offer what widgets can, but Some themes really change your bb experience
    02-11-11 08:34 PM
    ooh i agree themes can turn a device into a whole new BB experience.
    02-11-11 08:51 PM
    a newer theme and apps like QuickLauch and 6tools can make things easier than it is right now.
    02-11-11 09:03 PM
    ooh i agree themes can turn a device into a whole new BB experience.
    clearly his wife wanted the BB experience,

Some of you like your Androids, That is great,
    I personally like my Blackberry, this guys wife wanted a Blackberry, and is asking how to tinker with it.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    02-11-11 09:12 PM
    android VS BLACKBERRY!........WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS.
    I agree, Android has come a long way & I think within a few years or few more operating system updates to clean up the mess they will eventually catch up to BB
    02-11-11 10:38 PM
    I agree, Android has come a long way & I think within a few years or few more operating system updates to clean up the mess they will eventually catch up to BB
    Yea, wouldn't that be great!
    02-11-11 11:00 PM
    Well, the reason why I asked the questions I did is because people have very different notions of 'getting the most out of their phones'. For me, so far the three things I have used my phone most for are talking, texting, and taking pictures. But I also email, web-surf, use navigation, and a whole bunch of other things that really need a smartphone. I want to be able to get quick notification on my emails, have good call quality, ease of texting. I want an integrated experience. I want to be able to switch themes and wallpapers and ringtones. For me, that's getting the most out of my phone. It's customizing it to best meet my needs.

I don't need to be able to install custom ROMs or root my device to get the most out of my phone.

So my advice to the OP remains the same. The BB *is* a different experience, and I have no doubt that you are not able to customize it the way you want to. But if you had a specific set of things that she wants improved or would like her phone to do but it doesn't, it would be possible to say-- yes you can do this or that or the other thing.

I wish you good luck.
    02-11-11 11:01 PM
    Yea, wouldn't that be great!
    I was just trying to see how fast I could make you appear, your really on your toes
    02-11-11 11:11 PM
    I was just trying to see how fast I could make you appear, your really on your toes
    And that's while driving.
    02-11-11 11:14 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD