Hello everyone,
    I'm on Alltel right now but switching to Verizon within the month. I came here because everyone here seems to be well-informed and knows what they are talking about when it comes to smartphones. I've been looking at some android devices and the BB Bold 9650 and Curve 9530 and was wondering which would be best for me. I would be using my device for calls, texting, e-mail, little camera usage and some internet browsing. Also something else I'm looking for is a physical keyboard, got very tired of touch screen (LG Glimmer). I don't really care about having any and every kind of app just some that i would use/need. And thanks in advance for all opinions and suggestions!
    Zander
    08-16-10 07:49 PM
    Bold 9650 since it will be getting OS 6.
    08-16-10 07:56 PM
    I have a curve and my parents both own the bold. I love my curve, I do heavy browsing, and run about 80-100 messages (email and texts combined) a day. Its a great phone. Smaller than the bold, camera isn't as good as the bolds and it doesn't have as much app memory. I love it, ill probably end up buying a bold eventually but I love the curve and they both essentually do the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 07:58 PM
    I recommend the Bold 9650. It has what I think is the best keyboard, 512mb of memory for your apps, wifi and will be getting BB6. The 8530 is a nice device but the 9650 is more solid in my opinion.

08-16-10 09:04 PM
    Blackberry given what you need. Make sure it can run OS 6 though and you'll be golden.

However one small caveat, what apps would you find "useful"? While App World does have its fair share of useful apps, Android still has more, both of the useless and useful nature.

So depending on what you'd find "useful", Blackberry may or may not have it (it most likely will).

See and this piece of advice is coming from a guy who got rid of his Blackberry for a Droid X.
    08-16-10 09:10 PM
    Blackberry given what you need. Make sure it can run OS 6 though and you'll be golden.

However one small caveat, what apps would you find "useful"? While App World does have its fair share of useful apps, Android still has more, both of the useless and useful nature.

So depending on what you'd find "useful", Blackberry may or may not have it (it most likely will).

See and this piece of advice is coming from a guy who got rid of his Blackberry for a Droid X.
    Also Google Maps has Voice Navigation under Android where BB does not unless you subscribe *Not sure if Nav4all is still doing theirs for free*. There are a ton of apps that are free or relatively cheap compared to the BB side. No more battery pulls like in BB..

I love BB They have a lot of pros, like their push e-mail is better then android, their bbm messenger is awesome but Google Talk can pretty close match but still BBM is awesome. I just wish RIM would release a full touch screen that is the size of the Bold 9000 and I would have jumped to that, but for now my Samsung Captivate is what I am using for now. Who knows what RIM will release. I did not like the 9700 Bold 2 and I could not stand the keyboard on the Torch, now if the Torch would have been the size of the Bold 9000 I would have been on that one over the Captivate..

Cheers,
    Charlie
    08-16-10 10:51 PM
    There really isn�t an Android phone on Verizon with both a good physical keyboard and capable to boot. The Droid 2 has the same squishy chicklet keyboard, but great everywhere else. The LG Ally has a better keyboard, but not as capable. Then there is the Droid X and the Incredible. Both are nice, but no keyboard. The Galaxy S for VZW is purported to be touch screen only. Might want to check out Android Central.

You said your list of requirements was �calls, texting, e-mail, little camera usage and some internet browsing,� if that is in the order of importance, you will prefer a Blackberry device. Blackberry is tops in texting and e-mails, messaging, and the camera is good quality, but low pixels. The browser isn�t nearly as good as Android, but OS 6 is supposed to remedy some of the more annoying aspects of the browsers. But for your list, the Berry is an excellent choice.

I wouldn�t consider any Berry less than a 9650 on VZW. OS 6 is going to be a good way to extend into next year.
    08-16-10 10:52 PM
    Thanks to all that have replied to my thread. Is the OS 6 supposed to really increase the speed of the browser? And when do you believe it will be released? I've also heard of other third party browsers like Opera and Bolt, are those free and how much of a difference is there between the stock browser and those. And the apps i would find useful is yet to be known lol. Haven't gotten a chance to browse the apps and what not. Sorry for all the questions, just want to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into here, want to know if I'll like what I get or not because I would rather not have something for awhile if I despise it.

Zander
    08-17-10 01:40 AM
    1st, cool name, almost named our 1st son Zander, but with an X.

Andriod makes some nice phones in the Captivate, X and Incredible and seems there is the next big Andriod next month...They are mostly eyecandy IMO though, yeah 1ghtz processor is nice, browsing the net in a nano second is cool, UI is jazzy...but IMO and I have owned some older Andriods in a mytouch3g and Cliq...BB is superior...and I am more consumer minded. Most will say I am crazy, but I get along just fine on my 9700 and 5.0 OS and usually on EDGE bars to boot. Nothing beats our communication abilities...I also browse just fine as I take off Java-script and it goes pretty quick. Faster than Andriod? No...but is fast enough IMO. 6.0 supposedly is faster, granted some say they see no difference, but the proof is in the pudding...

As far as those 3rd party browsing apps in Bolt and Opera5, both work, most of the times...Opera always froze up on me, but was fast! Bolt was more stable and both have tabs, which I loved....but honestly when I tool off Java-script on native browser, it has been the fastest most stable experience thus far. I do miss the tabs though.

My ultimate advice though...is go into your local store and test out every phone you are interested in and make the decision based on which one worked the best for you.

Out of the ones you listed, 9650 sounds the best as Os6 will work really well on it, the Curve it won't...

I would wait till the 9780 comes out as that will automatically have better features...and come pre-loaded with OS6...good luck on whatever route you decide on.

08-17-10 02:28 AM
    I deserted Blackberry for Android briefly, but soon came back. Blackberry is far better structured and workmanlike. I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but in my opinion there's not much that a Blackberry can't do.....and as dmnall says above, BB push email is the best.
    08-17-10 02:38 AM
    Thanks to all that have replied to my thread. Is the OS 6 supposed to really increase the speed of the browser? And when do you believe it will be released? I've also heard of other third party browsers like Opera and Bolt, are those free and how much of a difference is there between the stock browser and those. And the apps i would find useful is yet to be known lol. Haven't gotten a chance to browse the apps and what not. Sorry for all the questions, just want to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into here, want to know if I'll like what I get or not because I would rather not have something for awhile if I despise it.

Zander
    I was very interested in the Torch, so I went to check it out in the ATT store and I compared my Bolt Browser to the Web Kit Browser. Bolt is pretty close to Web Kit, except that you don't get pinch and zoom. But I pulled up Phone Arena and couple other good graphical sites with lots of pics and details, and I felt that Bolt held its own with Web Kit. Now, I don't know about a touchscreen device. That pinch and zoom would probably be more preferable on a touch screen. By the way, you can get RSS feeds via Bolt, so you don't need to get a paid RSS app.

As far as apps are concerned, couple things to keep in mind. First, BB apps are typically more expensive than Android apps. For example, a good weather program on BB will run you $5-$10, whereas you can get a similar app on Android for less than $2 or perhaps even free. Second, consumer apps like renting Redbox movies from your phone or scheduling DVR on your cable via a cable app don't typically exist on BlackBerry. Need a productivity, business, or utility app, chances are good that BB has them. Want a consumer use based app, chances are good BB doesn't have them.

I have among my favorite apps, for example, a shortcut app (Quicklaunch), a LED color app (BerryBuzz), a weather app (BeWeather), an online music streamer app (Pandora), two browser apps (Opera Mini and Bolt), a news reader (AP Mobile), just to name a few. I got Empower HTML Pro Email Viewer for viewing HTML on emails. I got YourMuze.fm, an app that along with liveatc.net stream, you can listen to live air traffic control from local and national airports. I have lots of themes on the phone, so I don't use the stock theme. Got a Wallpaper changer app (Wallpaper Changer), so I can change my desktop picture every so often per settings. I got sports apps, e-reader, calorie counter...lots of utilities. I got a few games, too. Nothing heavy graphics, but I like to play them. I got a podcast app (PodTrapper) to listen to podcasts. I got apps for listening to audiobooks or shopping on Amazon or Crackberry. Now, I share these to give you an idea of how a particular BB user may stock his BB and use it. Only you know what you want to use and what works for you.
    08-17-10 02:47 AM
    Also, try to list down the apps you'd probably need and check whether they're available on BB/Android platform.

Most likely the OS will serve your basic needs just fine (call, text, organizer, browse internet), but it's the apps that could make a difference.

To me I prefer BB (I have 9700) because of the superior battery life and the qwerty keyboard. I'm the type of person who cannot live with a virtual keyboard, and doesn't want to take the risk running out of battery power in the middle of the day.
    08-17-10 04:59 AM
    Blackberry for me all the way.

08-17-10 05:36 AM
    After finally getting my Dx and using it for a day i don't think ill be going back. I had a 8330. 9530. And 9550 but all i can say is not all devices are meant for all people. Plus, you got 30 days and i you don't like it you can always exchange it

08-17-10 07:19 AM
    After finally getting my Dx and using it for a day i don't think ill be going back. I had a 8330. 9530. And 9550 but all i can say is not all devices are meant for all people. Plus, you got 30 days and i you don't like it you can always exchange it

I thought the same thing when I got my D1. I loved it, and I came from a 9550, a 9630, and a 8330. I used it for 2 weeks and seriously missed the blackberrys email functions. Email is a huge thing for me, since Im always buying/selling from craigslist. The droids navigation was amazing, I loved it. But the fact that I had to kill apps literally every time I pulled out my droid was annoying. I charged it about 2-3 times a day because of the amount of text/emails usage. I sold it for 100$ and found an 8530 for 50$ brand new. So I went back, and I just guess the blackberrys are for me.

I think both blackberry and droid serve different functions. They're both great devices and I don't think you can really decide what you like the best until you use both.
    08-17-10 08:07 AM
    sounds like the OP does need a blackberry a good old 9650 to be exact. i had one 9650, 9630, and 9530 and the main thing i used on them was the messaging. android does have a good messaging system but to make it better u need a app lol. also OP i would look at some OS6 videos and Android videos (Droid 2) to see if you like it.
    08-17-10 08:11 AM
    I thought the same thing when I got my D1. I loved it, and I came from a 9550, a 9630, and a 8330. I used it for 2 weeks and seriously missed the blackberrys email functions. Email is a huge thing for me, since Im always buying/selling from craigslist. The droids navigation was amazing, I loved it. But the fact that I had to kill apps literally every time I pulled out my droid was annoying. I charged it about 2-3 times a day because of the amount of text/emails usage. I sold it for 100$ and found an 8530 for 50$ brand new. So I went back, and I just guess the blackberrys are for me.

I think both blackberry and droid serve different functions. They're both great devices and I don't think you can really decide what you like the best until you use both.
    i was the same way at first when i got my first droid, sold it and then went back to the storm. during the 2 months i switched back to blackberry i was reading up on the droid and good apps and features it had. bought another droid and rooted and i was blown away by the phone. i could go a full day with my droid with heavy usage and come home with 40% battery life. sold my 9650 and stood to android, haven't looked back since. and for my pushed email i just decided to switch to gmail since it is pushed.
    08-17-10 08:14 AM
    I get my Droid 2 today, the trackpad on my 9650 shot craps and after 2 Tours and a Bold, I decided to try Android...
    08-17-10 08:18 AM
    i was the same way at first when i got my first droid, sold it and then went back to the storm. during the 2 months i switched back to blackberry i was reading up on the droid and good apps and features it had. bought another droid and rooted and i was blown away by the phone. i could go a full day with my droid with heavy usage and come home with 40% battery life. sold my 9650 and stood to android, haven't looked back since. and for my pushed email i just decided to switch to gmail since it is pushed.
    Sweet man, The droids are sweet, just not for me!
    08-17-10 08:21 AM
    Also, try to list down the apps you'd probably need and check whether they're available on BB/Android platform.

Most likely the OS will serve your basic needs just fine (call, text, organizer, browse internet), but it's the apps that could make a difference.

To me I prefer BB (I have 9700) because of the superior battery life and the qwerty keyboard. I'm the type of person who cannot live with a virtual keyboard, and doesn't want to take the risk running out of battery power in the middle of the day.
    I bought two extra batteries for my Android.... and I hate virtual keyboards. But if some enterprising company put Android on a Treo type platform, with a holster sensor, I'm interested. If someone would write a decent e-mail program, and fix the damned notifications, I'm gone.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 08-17-10 at 08:34 AM.
    08-17-10 08:24 AM
    I get my Droid 2 today, the trackpad on my 9650 shot craps and after 2 Tours and a Bold, I decided to try Android...
    sweet
    08-17-10 08:40 AM
    I did get a chance to play around with the first moto droid. I thought it was pretty cool just kind of confusing at first... Took me about five minutes to figure out how to add my number in his phone, kind of irritated me to say the least. But i truly love the way that blackberry is set up, very easy to get around on and what not. But the biggest thing about droid that i don't like is that price.. just a bit high for me right now. And about the 9650, would you say that it has a superior keyboard to the curve? Got kind of used to seeing and playing around with the curve. Just a couple more questions I promise lol.

Zander
    08-17-10 02:26 PM
    I wouldn't say the keyboard is superior to the curves. I have a 9530 and my dad has a 9650, he can barely type on the bold but is pretty good with the curve. It all really depends on if you like the feel. I personally like how the bold feels but I own a curve.

08-17-10 03:22 PM
    I did get a chance to play around with the first moto droid. I thought it was pretty cool just kind of confusing at first... Took me about five minutes to figure out how to add my number in his phone, kind of irritated me to say the least. But i truly love the way that blackberry is set up, very easy to get around on and what not. But the biggest thing about droid that i don't like is that price.. just a bit high for me right now. And about the 9650, would you say that it has a superior keyboard to the curve? Got kind of used to seeing and playing around with the curve. Just a couple more questions I promise lol.

Zander
    IMO the 9650 has a MUCH better keyboard than the Curve. The best keyboard ever has to be the 9000. I purchased my 9650 online from VZW for $170 with a one year agreement. I just didn't want a two year agreement.
    08-17-10 07:06 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I'm on Alltel right now but switching to Verizon within the month. I came here because everyone here seems to be well-informed and knows what they are talking about when it comes to smartphones. I've been looking at some android devices and the BB Bold 9650 and Curve 9530 and was wondering which would be best for me. I would be using my device for calls, texting, e-mail, little camera usage and some internet browsing. Also something else I'm looking for is a physical keyboard, got very tired of touch screen (LG Glimmer). I don't really care about having any and every kind of app just some that i would use/need. And thanks in advance for all opinions and suggestions!
    Zander
    I suggest the BB 9860 since it is loaded with os 6 and (att at least) gives you a 4 gb sd card right out the box. I
    won't see mine till tomorrow since I got it at att referbished site. Only one penny! Not only is it a touchscreen but had a physical keyboard slider that hides very nice behind the phone. The only thing I like better about the andriod is the live wallpaper but it's not a dealbreaker at all. Blackberry rules to me since it was my upgrade time and didn't hesitate to pick another one. Btw- crackberry rules, too!
    Last edited by triquetra; 03-04-12 at 11:47 PM.
    03-04-12 11:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD