my coworker gave me his blackberry and it is the first virus ever on a blackberry. i made a video of it...

ps i check the apps and there was nothing particular installed...nothing peculiar was also running in the background....there was no strange media audio file store on the media card or the blackberry. it was a text msg that my coworker click on and everytimes he hang up, it plays that annoying world cup sounds.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 06-20-10 at 09:50 PM.
    06-20-10 09:47 PM
    That would not be a virus. That is probably a software or application glitch.

I have seen another thread about a similar issue I believe. I would persaonally wipe the device, and load the information back on and see if that fixes the issue.
    06-20-10 09:49 PM
    It's a Tour. It probably has the buggy VZW OS that does all kinds of crazy things with audio files in MMS.
    06-20-10 09:51 PM
    i know u can wipe it to fix it. but it is a first ever virus discover on a blackberry!!! i want it so i can give it to the ppl who annoys me the most! too bad my coworker deleted that txt msg.
    06-20-10 09:52 PM
    Oh, thats not a virus then.

You should be careful with titles like this, you are going to have people thinking the BlackBerry can get virus' on it, which is far from true.
    06-20-10 09:54 PM
    if that is not a virus...what is it then?
    06-20-10 09:56 PM
    VZW buggy OS. Your friend needs to install a different OS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/so...p-call-447088/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/so...new-os-447431/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/un...et-rid-477442/
    06-20-10 10:00 PM
    That would be the buggy Tour OS update that Verizon rolled out playing the vuvuzela in the background.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get a virus on your BlackBerry? I have never heard of it to date, doubt one would just come and plague one random device.
    06-20-10 10:00 PM
    Just be told Vincent!

It is not a virus, now leave it alone.
    06-20-10 10:13 PM
    Most likely an annoyance. A virus, if it's written by someone who knows how to do such things, will not make itself obvious as that would alert the owner of the infected device/machine to its presence. And having been alerted, said owner would interfere with the virus's objective by trying to remove it.
    That being said, BlackBerry is a relatively safe platform and not likely to have a virus written for infecting the OS itself. One can pick up a virus/malware from a PC by plugging in their device because the storage space is usually FAT32 and any infected files can be transferred to it, and then from there to other machines by plugging the device into them; but doing this does NOT infect the OS. Two, and this is more of an extension to the 1st reason, is that most malware coders/scripters want that code propagated efficiently and infecting a BlackBerry would NOT be the way to do that. The platform is very secure, and unless on WiFi, everything goes through RIM's servers up and down.
    Suffice to say getting your BlackBerry infected by a virus is a LONG shot, but not impossible. What you have is most likely a gag, and easily corrected by wiping and reinstalling the OS. Just don't restore sound profiles, and redo those yourself. Problem solved.
    06-21-10 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD