An interesting thing happened with my AT&T Curve last night. At 2 in the morning, I started getting hammered with tons of emails. Over 70. They were all old ones that I had deleted from my inbox on MY COMPUTER months ago. Somehow, they just showed up on my Blackberry, one after another all in a row. I couldn't stop them and it was like the phone was going nuts! Some of these were emails that I got even before I owned my Curve! It eventually stopped and I just had to delete the entire message box to get rid of them. I checked right away to see if they were also being sent to my email on my computer and they weren't, so this was JUST a Blackberry issue. Does anyone have any idea what would make a bunch of old deleted emails come back from the dead and be sent only to the email inbox in my Blackberry???!!!
    05-26-08 11:03 AM
    Good question...Always wonder how "safe" our Berries are. Can they get a virus?
    05-26-08 11:06 AM
    Sounds like your pute caught something. Or the server for your email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 11:07 AM
    It almost sounds like the sync between your bis and your email server resync'd or something.

05-26-08 11:09 AM
    Your problem is rare haven't heard such.
    05-26-08 11:11 AM
    That's why I checked while it was happening to see if they were being sent to my computer as well. They weren't. They were showing up on my Curve only. That would make it some sort of server issue. The emails didn't come from my computer. That's the interesting thing about this!
    05-26-08 11:11 AM
    I've seen this happen a few times, but I've never found a way to fix it. Who is your email provider? If it's gmail you could delete it from the BIS, tell gmail to only send mail from now on and re-add it to yoiur BIS.

I read somewhere that a group of people created a virus for a blackberry just to see if it was possible. They created it and it worked for, like, 11 seconds and the the berry scrubbed itself! I have no worries about a berry virus!
    05-26-08 11:13 AM
    Sounds strange I cant say I have ever heard of that problem.
    05-26-08 11:13 AM
    I have a few different email providers. One is Earthlink and the other is from my own website and that is with Startlogic. Since all of those emails were "sent" and erased on my Curve last night, I'm assuming they are officially gone. If they come back again, then it's definitely some sort of bigtime glitch in the system!
    05-26-08 11:23 AM
    Do you get your earthlink and starlogic through their webmail or do you use outlook? You may want to sign directly into the server and delete the messages from there. I've seen a couple of cases where the messages will come back every day until they are deleted off the server. Also, you might want to try deleting the email service books and resending them from the BIS
    05-26-08 11:30 AM
    You can use a filter to avoid unwanted emails to your BB. But then you still have to delete them off your email on the web.
    05-26-08 11:31 AM
    I don't use outlook. The emails come straight from Earthlink and Startlogic, and I have my computer email settings set to "delete emails right away" ..... like I was saying, these just all came back from the dead!
    05-26-08 11:38 AM
    That's definitely weird! Try deleting/resending service books, and if that doesn't work try deleting/reintegrating to the BIS. Every time I get a call like this I usually end up sending the customer to RIM! We've never been able to find a cause, or a way to stop it
    05-26-08 11:42 AM
    Well, I've had the Curve now for about 3 months and I love it. No problems at all. I think I'm going to wait and see if this happens again and go from there. I just hope the next time it happens, it's not at 2 in the morning with the phone by my bed!
    05-26-08 11:58 AM
    hehehe that's a good idea! Late night email's are the reason I always use a bedtime profile!
    05-26-08 11:59 AM
    Zombie emails are scarey. Try cutting the heads off. It works in the movies.

05-26-08 12:48 PM
    I had the same problem with my bb. Check and see if you have the new system software. After i upgrade mine to the 4.5.0 sytem, i had no more problems.
    04-10-09 03:10 PM
    I've heard of Spam on your Berry, But NEVER a virus...I've had mine get wiped out because of a password issue and had a Ton of Spam on it...But Never caught a virus of sorts...Im sure you could get one though...Somehow
    04-10-09 04:27 PM
    If I don't completely delete my inbox from my pop email account, it is poosible to get a resend of all of the email in the inbox if the server is reconencted.
    I have had this happen several times over the years using comcast and outlook and outlook express.

But, it is possible for the BB's to get a virus? With us downloading apps and things al the time, it does seem plausible.
    And if it is possible, what can we do to protect ourselves?

TIA
    04-11-09 07:02 AM
    If I don't completely delete my inbox from my pop email account, it is poosible to get a resend of all of the email in the inbox if the server is reconencted.
    I have had this happen several times over the years using comcast and outlook and outlook express.

But, it is possible for the BB's to get a virus? With us downloading apps and things al the time, it does seem plausible.
    And if it is possible, what can we do to protect ourselves?

TIA
    There are not any known Blackberry viruses at the moment. I am sure, however, that this will not always be the case.

04-11-09 07:05 AM
    That sounds odd. I've never had that problem.
    04-12-09 01:02 AM
    Did you notice if it was just one email address, or both?

Hypothetical question...

Maybe, say earthlink had to do a data base restore on the server, and they used a really old backup?
    Possibility that BB server saw the mail and did a push before mail server admin got a chance to finish cleaning up?

Just a thought.

04-12-09 02:12 AM
    This happened to me once before. Tech support told me it was a server glitch that happens occasionally but it's nothing to worry about: just delete the messages and go on as normal.

04-12-09 06:02 AM
    strange. I had a similar problem, but I moved some messages to my inbox via outlook and all those email started coming through to my bb.
    04-12-09 09:10 AM
    An interesting thing happened with my AT&T Curve last night. At 2 in the morning, I started getting hammered with tons of emails. Over 70. They were all old ones that I had deleted from my inbox on MY COMPUTER months ago. Somehow, they just showed up on my Blackberry, one after another all in a row. I couldn't stop them and it was like the phone was going nuts! Some of these were emails that I got even before I owned my Curve! It eventually stopped and I just had to delete the entire message box to get rid of them. I checked right away to see if they were also being sent to my email on my computer and they weren't, so this was JUST a Blackberry issue. Does anyone have any idea what would make a bunch of old deleted emails come back from the dead and be sent only to the email inbox in my Blackberry???!!!

ok that is not a virus thats just the bis doing that it does it sometimes randomly. also there is a blackberry virus affecting the 8700

J2ME/RedBrowser.a Trojan horse

this a link to blackberrys support page.

View Document
    01-27-10 10:31 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD