Now that we know BB10 will have DLNA. Should RIM make a product that connects to your TV and stereo? I know I would pay for it. I am thinking of a simple device that would only be used as a wireless streaming device for games, music, video, pictures, etc. Plus the added benefit of having NFC to make it easy for anyone to quickly connect to it. What do you guys think?
    09-28-12 11:37 PM
    You mean, should Blackberry make an Apple TV? I really don't think that RIM will have neither the size nor the financials to diversify into little side products in the future, like they have in the past.

There are already PLENTY of little inexpensive devices on the market already. And most modern TVs are sold with built in DLNA, so it really seems like a non-starter...
    Last edited by CrackedBarry; 09-28-12 at 11:44 PM.
    09-28-12 11:41 PM
    They were working on the BlackBerry Cyclone last year, but looks like they ditched it (?) to focus on the BB10 phones. QNX is everywhere it seems... would like to see this launch sometime.

RIM working on a BlackBerry Media Box similar in concept to Apple TV | CrackBerry.com
    09-28-12 11:41 PM
    There are already PLENTY of little inexpensive devices on the market already. And most modern TVs are sold with built in DLNA, so it really seems like a non-starter...
    True. Maybe that explains why they ditched it.
    09-28-12 11:43 PM
    You mean, should Blackberry make an Apple TV? I really don't think that RIM will have neither the size nor the financials to diversify into little side products in the future, like they have in the past.

I think it should be simpler and cheaper then Apple TV. No apps, just for streaming purposes from BB10 or DLNA supported devices. Also lots of people don't know they have DLNA on there TVs or don't have it. I know I have 3 LCD TVs at home and no DLNA. Even if people have devices with DLNA they are all more complicated than Airplay. With NFC I think they could make it even easier than Airplay.
    09-28-12 11:57 PM
    It's almost a shame that RIM apparently gave up on becoming a mini-Apple, they seemed to be heading in that direction for awhile. Own music store (sorta) own tablet, own video store, the Cyclone, etc. etc.

It could have been a nice little ecosystem in itself, but their current situation in mind, I guess you can't blame them for cutting everything that isn't either essential or BB10...
    09-28-12 11:59 PM
    They already make/sell their own Bluetooth gateway, why not a DLNA box?
    09-29-12 12:25 AM
    They already make/sell their own Bluetooth gateway, why not a DLNA box?
    That's what I am thinking to. We already know RIM is planning on doing wireless streaming. So this would be the best way to do it.
    09-29-12 12:33 AM
    Now that we know BB10 will have DLNA. Should RIM make a product that connects to your TV and stereo? I know I would pay for it. I am thinking of a simple device that would only be used as a wireless streaming device for games, music, video, pictures, etc. Plus the added benefit of having NFC to make it easy for anyone to quickly connect to it. What do you guys think?
    DLNA is a network (wifi/wired) protocol. So, virtually, any connected multimedia device (mostly TV but it can be connected to stereo) will fit.
    While the - cheap ($50) - music gateway is fine (ex : connect multiple NFC/BT devices for a party), I believe this is not useful and might even be counter-productive for video. "Nothing to add" is really a good differentiator against appl solution.
    09-29-12 03:53 AM
    BUMP!

Second device mentioned in recent articles, RE: FCC approval for two RIM devices. The second "RFH121LW" documents reveal it is not a cellular device, despite being referred to in the document as a smartphone

FCC Test Report: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=1871701

Page 6 of the FCC Test Report:
    Support Equipment Used for the Testing of the EUT

1) Philips Monitor, type MWE12244T, product ID 2444E1SB/27
    ... and then on Page 9:

01-01-13 08:33 PM
    Oh, good eye!
    01-01-13 08:53 PM
    I believe this to be your DLNA multimedia, entertainment, communication, gaming... etc..."device".

Now just try to imagine what the BB10 UI would be like on this device
    01-01-13 09:23 PM
    Good find!
    01-01-13 10:22 PM
    I think it's a great idea.. I for one would buy one of these for sure, and I wouldn't be too surprised if something like this was actually in the works just waiting to be announced with BB10.. Imagine Thor walks to the stage on launch day with a BB10 device in his hand.. starts to use it and the display shows up on the big screen behind him, but wait.. no HDMI cable is attached to his device!

It's something they would have had no reason to announce as of yet even if it was complete, as none of their currently release devices support DLNA..
    01-01-13 10:34 PM
    I'd buy it. My tv doesn't support DLNA and I'm not looking at getting a new tv just yet. Less than a month till all will be revealed. I'm excited.
    01-01-13 10:41 PM
    Now just think if RIM is releasing a device that hooks up to your TV, and if BB10 doesn't have Netflix... they'll be laughed off of the Internet. Knowing this in the works, Netflix is surely on board IMO. All the more reason why MLB is as well... its one thing to have those apps on a phone, but another thing to be permanently hooked up in your living room.

Think BBM Video will work nice on this?
    jakie55 and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-01-13 11:09 PM
    I'd buy it. My tv doesn't support DLNA and I'm not looking at getting a new tv just yet. Less than a month till all will be revealed. I'm excited.
    I'd buy it. My TV supports DLNA but I'd want it to go through my receiver.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 01:06 AM
    I think this will be an important addition to ensure BlackBerry offers an ecosystem of products that integrate.

Consumers come to expect this now, since Apple has done a great job at this.

That said - does anyone think this 'BB TV' device may suffer by coming across as a "ME TOO" device? Or do you think there will be a key differentiator from other products out there - if so what might that be?

01-02-13 12:21 PM
    Will BlackBerry Video/Music Gateway support APT-X (audio codec) over Bluetooth? Or will it just support A2DP SBC over Bluetooth? I really wish to see APT-x!
    01-02-13 12:33 PM
    I think this will be an important addition to ensure BlackBerry offers an ecosystem of products that integrate.

Consumers come to expect this now, since Apple has done a great job at this.

That said - does anyone think this 'BB TV' device may suffer by coming across as a "ME TOO" device? Or do you think there will be a key differentiator from other products out there - if so what might that be?

It depends on what it is capable of, I have an Apple TV, and it suffers many faults.
    It can only stream via iTunes, which basically only support 1 video format.
    That annoys me, if this "BlackBerry TV" support more formats, I don't think it will be tagged a 'me too' device.
    This also makes me wonder how much the new BlackBerry link software will be able to do...
    01-02-13 12:38 PM
    I'd buy a BlackBerry TV product that would talk to my BB10 phone and PlayBook (bridge), and that would act as a DLNA gateway. Especially if apps that allow media run on it. Also would like to see a USB camera option to turn your TV into a room based VTC to talk to phones, or other BB10 devices via BBM video.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    01-02-13 01:47 PM
    Also would like to see a USB camera option to turn your TV into a room based VTC to talk to phones, or other BB10 devices via BBM video.
    Yes - I hope for this as well. I can't tell from the BB10 Demo video (from May @ BB World) when the guy swipes the BB10 device & the video he is watching is transferred to the screen .... If they are implying that was video chat transferred to the TV, or if that was just a video???

01-02-13 02:46 PM
    if this "BlackBerry TV" support more formats, I don't think it will be tagged a 'me too' device.
    This also makes me wonder how much the new BlackBerry link software will be able to do...
    Yes - codec support is crucial. It will of course be as good as PlayBook or better. PlayBook suffers in support for AC3 audio support, and MKV video containers I believe.

It certainly won't be as closed as an Apple product.

01-02-13 04:21 PM
    Now just think if RIM is releasing a device that hooks up to your TV, and if BB10 doesn't have Netflix... they'll be laughed off of the Internet. Knowing this in the works, Netflix is surely on board IMO. All the more reason why MLB is as well... its one thing to have those apps on a phone, but another thing to be permanently hooked up in your living room.

Think BBM Video will work nice on this?
    I wouldn't make that call.. I'm not saying whether netflix will be available or not, I have no knowledge of that, but it's entirely possible that they would release a device like this with just the blackberry video store, and I'll welcome it as such.
    01-02-13 05:47 PM
    TV sets are now all supporting DLNA and I believe most DSL/Cable boxes will in a snap ... Still may be a good point for older equipments. May be the reason why I've been unable to get my MusicGateway shipped from Blackberry (Got my funds back, no real explanation) ?
    01-03-13 06:43 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD