BlackBerry use at Queen�s Park defended

Shafiq Qaadri, the Liberal MPP for Etobicoke-North, wants the legislature to drop its �BlackBerry-only policy.�

Waterloo Region Record - By Anam Latif

KITCHENER � What is being called an "anti-BlackBerry" petition introduced at the Ontario Legislative Assembly on Monday had local Conservative Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris fuming.

The petition introduced by Liberal MPP for Etobicoke-North, Shafiq Qaadri, asked the legislature to allow members and staff to use a variety of smartphones instead of remaining trapped in its "BlackBerry-only policy."

Qaadri called the assembly's policy "handicapping, retarding and penalizing MPPs" � much to the ire of Harris, who thought his use of language was inappropriate.

"It's highly offensive," Harris said.

"As an MPP, these are taxpayer-funded devices."

While there is no official policy on BlackBerry use, only BlackBerry phones are purchased for members and staff.

This isn't the first time Qaadri asked legislature "to embrace all digital technologies."

In the last session at Queen's Park, he put a similar petition forward on more than 20 different occasions.

Harris said BlackBerry phones are used by the government because they have top-notch security and that is why governments from Barack Obama's to Angela Merkel's also use them.

He was doubly upset that Qaadri would slam a Canadian company, calling it "iconic" and pointed out that BlackBerry, headquartered in Waterloo, employs thousands of Ontarians.

"If he's upset because he can't get Snapchat on his BlackBerry, frankly he can get his own device and pay for it with his own money," Harris said.

Liberal MPP Daiene Vernille of Kitchener-Centre said the petition was "one person's opinion."

"BlackBerry is the genesis of our region's global tech success.

"And, I can tell you, our government continues to be a strong supporter of this iconic brand that's transformed the way people connect around the world," she added.

It is unclear whether or not Qaadri's petition has any traction. When MPPs put forth petitions, the government has 24 days from the day it is tabled to respond. But their response could simply just be a "thank you for the submission."

Cambridge Liberal MPP Kathryn McGarry also spoke to defend BlackBerry on Thursday following Harris's statement, calling the company a "prime example of an Ontario success story."

"I have only ever used BlackBerry and will only ever use BlackBerry," she said, adding that she has three of them.

The homegrown smartphone also reigns in Ottawa with 98 per cent of federal employees using them, according to Shared Services Canada.

[email protected] , Twitter: @LatifRecord

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...park-defended/

Rohetaku provided this link to the video of him saying it
    http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/m...ding-1.2365964

Skibnik provided the link to John Chens response on inside BlackBerry
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-tarn...sound-argument
    Last edited by Jose Casiano; 05-11-15 at 09:32 AM.
    05-10-15 10:26 AM
    He is a disgrace. Wasting time on what phone he gets for free from the government while the government is forcing school closures and saying there isn't enough money to fund social programs and transit infrastructure as they sell off our hydro company.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 12:13 PM
    What a moron, wasting taxpayer money on this. Harris is right, Qaadri can go and buy his own device with his own money and stop wasting taxpayer money on this idiotic petition. Not only does he want to compromise the government's security, he wants us taxpayers to spend even more money on this B.S.
    05-10-15 12:56 PM
    This sums it up nicely ""If he's upset because he can't get Snapchat on his BlackBerry, frankly he can get his own device and pay for it with his own money," Harris said."
    05-10-15 01:12 PM
    More than likely this MP has been visited by a lobbyist or two and is doing this to get paid.

Loving my Passport!
    Jose Casiano, andy957 and Soapm like this.
    05-10-15 01:26 PM
    The homegrown smartphone also reigns in Ottawa with 98 per cent of federal employees using them, according to Shared Services Canada.
    That's pretty impressive. I wonder how many are BlackBerry 10?
    05-10-15 03:59 PM
    When the request comes from a minister of technology with an IT guy in hand, I'll listen.

When the guy ignores the security reason and no accounting for the added IT costs, he can go fsck (valid Internet slang!)himself.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 04:34 PM
    This problem is easily fix, just don't vote for him on the next election. Vote for someone that actually do real work and not complain about the type of phone you get to use for free on tax payer's money.

Wife Z10, daughter got my old Z10 and me with the awesome new World Z30. That's how we roll baby!
    05-10-15 05:24 PM
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Go Chen!

http://crackberry.com/john-chen-tarn...sound-argument

Loving my Passport!
    05-10-15 10:22 PM
    This problem is easily fix, just don't vote for him on the next election. Vote for someone that actually do real work and not complain about the type of phone you get to use for free on tax payer's money.

Wife Z10, daughter got my old Z10 and me with the awesome new World Z30. That's how we roll baby!
    Agreed. He's done this on 3 other occasions as well!

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-11-15 01:33 AM
    Wow, that's like petitioning the American president to fill his motorcade with foreign vehicles.

It's bad enough that BB has less than 1% market share, but when your own legislators don't want you or the jobs you provide???
    05-11-15 01:51 AM
    Former New York Congressman Anthony Weiner used an iPhone because it took better selfies...
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 05-11-15 at 09:27 AM.
    05-11-15 07:18 AM
    Former New York Congressman Anthony Weiner used an iPhone because it took better pictures...
    I like how we pay for their pictures...

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:30 AM
    To think that we actually pay this man for his Service to our country ?? Can we have him gone Now. ?
    05-11-15 07:32 AM
    He is a disgrace. Wasting time on what phone he gets for free from the government while the government is forcing school closures and saying there isn't enough money to fund social programs and transit infrastructure as they sell off our hydro company.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, he the perfect example of why I feel bad for my kids - how can I protect them from having to live in a world created by fools? I can't. I only have one vote, in one riding.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-15 08:25 AM
    To think that we actually pay this man for his Service to our country ?? Can we have him gone Now. ?
    Unfortunately no and the really sad part is his whole party is a basket case and the other options are no better if not worse.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-11-15 08:37 AM
    Here is the video of him saying it

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/m...ding-1.2365964

Posted via BBM Premium
    05-11-15 08:44 AM
    Where are John Chen's comments? Why is he not out there in front of local TV cameras rather than sitting behind a blog?
    05-12-15 07:58 PM
    Why doesn't he make an effort to explain to Ontarians about the new Ontario pension plan not being a wealth-redistribution tactic. Tell us again how its not penalizing to the middle class and how its not a tax grab to bankroll this province's unfunded liabilities which have pushed us to the point of bankruptcy....

Instead we pay him 6 figures so he can sit there and argue (on our dime) that he should have the right to take selfies with other devices..... Who elects these clowns anyways?
    05-12-15 09:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    And BB is a CANADIAN company!!
    BoldPreza likes this.
    05-12-15 09:17 PM
    Instead we pay him 6 figures so he can sit there and argue (on our dime) that he should have the right to take selfies with other devices..... Who elects these clowns anyways?
    The voters, the joy of a representative form of government...
    05-12-15 10:19 PM
    And BB is a CANADIAN company!!
    That clearly didn't contribute to his campaign...
    05-12-15 10:20 PM
    Wouldn't people be more happy at work if they could use any device they want?

#GoSensGo
    05-15-15 07:42 PM
    Wouldn't people be more happy at work if they could use any device they want?

#GoSensGo
    First it's a work tool not for his enjoyment. It's fully functional for the job.

Second he is free to buy any phone he wants with his money to carry around in his personal life and use as he wishes.

Third it's a Canadian company headquartered in this province. He should be doing what he can to support it as a representative of this province.

Fourth and most important, this province has far bigger issues than what free phone its MPP's get to use. A huge budget deficit that has been going on for years, a mass debt load, school closures at the same time as work action by the teachers of the province, chronic under funding of social assistance programs, serious spending scandals, and mass transit expansion that right now is not delivering what it should. He has far more important things to do. If he wants to focus on what he feels entitled too then let him go get himself a private sector high paying job and GTFO! Such a useless disgrace.

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-15-15 08:00 PM
    This is why it is too late for John Chen to react:
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/mp...erry-1.2463466

Had this been a priority from the onset, there would no debate or petition but precedent has been set and federal MPs are already using iPhones at taxpayers expense.

Sorry BlackBerry, you again fail to react in a timely fashion.
    It has been over 2 years now that the iPhone is considered a corporate device at the House of Commons.

But I expect nothing different from a company who is consistently tardy at delivering or intervening.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 08:18 PM
27 12