If you ask me, I'd like to see BlackBerry have a touchscreen phone (Z10), a QWERTY phone (Q10), and a tablet (PB). I always said that one of the things BlackBerry needed to do (prior to BB10) was cut down the amount of devices they had.

Do you guys think an A-Series, P-Series, etc. is a good thing? Granted some of them may not necessarily be devices, but rather software or a new tablet, but I feel as though they should really focus on having a flagship device. Although, a good slider would be interesting.
    03-17-13 01:15 PM
    So you want some new devices but focus on a flagship?
    03-17-13 01:19 PM
    Well, I guess I don't want the rumored six MORE devices (not including the rumored tablet). The Z10, Q10, and a new tablet is all I think they need to do.
    03-17-13 01:20 PM
    I agree, I think BlackBerry should have a touch screen, keypad phone and then a tablet, instead of having loads of different phones with different sized screens. Isn't that why majority of developers didn't develop apps for BlackBerry due to the varying screen sizes?

Posted via CB10
    ClevelandBB likes this.
    03-17-13 01:21 PM
    Mid range touch screen Z10, highend touch screen A10.

Mid range qwerty ?10, high end qwerty Q10

Release a new 7" tablet.
    03-17-13 01:31 PM
    Well, I guess I don't want the rumored six MORE devices (not including the rumored tablet). The Z10, Q10, and a new tablet is all I think they need to do.
    6 total devices, not 6 more. Z10 and Q10 are 1 and 2. Aristo is 3. Only 3 left to figure out.
    03-17-13 01:33 PM
    BlackBerry needs to have at least six devices in the market at the same time to be competitive: all touch and keyboard of both high end and medium priced for those price sensitive markets, 7 inch PlayBook and 10 inch playbook.
    03-17-13 01:34 PM
    Having a wide variety of devices never hurt them in the recent past. Having an aging OS did.
    Now that they have a fantastic new OS that competes with the best why not get it into as many hands globally, as possible, via multiple price pointed phones?
    I don't know how many that should be but I have a feeling it's more the 3.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 01:37 PM
    I agree that medium priced devices for some markets would be a good idea.
    BlackBerry needs to capitalize on all the sales that they can get as well as get phones out of the hands of Apple and Android users and onto new BlackBerry's.

CB10 App, Z10
    03-17-13 01:53 PM
    I agree, I think BlackBerry should have a touch screen, keypad phone and then a tablet, instead of having loads of different phones with different sized screens. Isn't that why majority of developers didn't develop apps for BlackBerry due to the varying screen sizes?

Posted via CB10
    There will only be two screen sizes. 1280x720 and 720x720. The Z10 is 1280x768 and developers are told to pad the 768 with 24 pixels on each side to prepare for it.
    03-17-13 01:54 PM
    They've actually scaled back the number of devices they've released from the past. For example, when was the last time you saw a Pearl or a Style, or a Tour?

Not entirely convinced either that "six devices" = "six different form factors" as opposed to variants like CDMA/GSM versions of touch screen and qwerty. Not that some aren't intended successors launched at the end of the year to replace products released at the start of the year.

They could very easily get to six with:

- Z10 (out)
    - Q10 (coming)
    - Low cost Curve type device running Blackberry 10
    - Really high end device on the back of the year
    - Tablet running BlackBerry 10
    - Torch like slider running BlackBerry 10
    03-17-13 02:02 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs three smartphones in the BlackBerry 10 family: all-touch, physical keyboard with touch-screen, and slider physical keyboard with touch-screen. Complementing the smartphones should be the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook (16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB - or 16 GB with microSD card slot for future tablet revision). In any case, BlackBerry must restore full functionality to BlackBerry Bridge from the current BlackBerry PlayBook. Speaking of the tablet, I would prefer they maintain the existing UI layout but incorporate the "behind the scenes" internals of BlackBerry OS 10. The smartphone UI layout is inappropriate for the tablet due primarily to the default orientation of portrait for the smartphone and landscape for the tablet. So, three smartphones and one tablet for a total of four devices.
    03-17-13 02:06 PM
    6 total devices, not 6 more. Z10 and Q10 are 1 and 2. Aristo is 3. Only 3 left to figure out.
    Too damn many devices at count of six.
    03-17-13 02:07 PM
    Mid range touch screen Z10, highend touch screen A10.

Mid range qwerty ?10, high end qwerty Q10

Release a new 7" tablet.
    Agree and add larger PlayBook possibly. That's enough of a selection!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:10 PM
    Having the Z10 and being a student who barely was able to buy that one, I will not be happy if the Z10 was not their High-End device, and I feel like a lot of others would think the same as me. Unless you have a good amount of income, who wants to buy another device? And if your on CrackBerry in the blogs, you more than likely want the highest end device, not the middle one.
    If they have all these devices, they could potentially have different screen sizes, so won't that be a bit of a pain for the devs?
    I personally think they should high-end touch and qwerty. Than lower end $0 on contract phones for some of there markets where the curves have been so popular. But than again, I don't run a multi-billion dollar company so what do I know
    03-17-13 03:02 PM
    BlackBerry needs to release these devices to compete on different market segments. The Z10 and Q10 are pretty high end devices and to compete there going to need mid range devices and low end curve devices. Not everybody can afford a $700 dollar phone and right now we are all just speculating on how many phones will be released because none of us really know. All of our information is based on rumours that might or might not pan out.
    DontKnowOfOne likes this.
    03-17-13 03:03 PM
    All BlackBerry needs is the Z10, Q10, and then the high end superphone "Aristo" to compete with the spec-war smartphones. Maybe throw a tablet in there too. But I don't think they should really focus too much on lower end smartphones at this time.
    03-17-13 03:04 PM
    Having phones a various price levels, and formats has worked well for Samsung and I see no reason to think it wouldn't do the same for BlackBerry.
    It will also help promote BES and BBM to a greater audience.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:20 PM
    Having phones a various price levels, and formats has worked well for Samsung and I see no reason to think it wouldn't do the same for BlackBerry.
    It will also help promote BES and BBM to a greater audience.

Posted via CB10
    Because by the time BlackBerry gets out the lower end phones, the Z10 and Q10 will be towards the "lower end". Right now BlackBerry needs to establish BB10 as a high end platform and by releasing low end phones right now would give consumers the image "BlackBerry still can't keep up"
    03-17-13 03:29 PM
    I think BlackBerry also lost a lot of credibility because of the amount of people who don't know a lot about phones went out and signed a three year contract on a curve for $0 and than from there on out assumed BlackBerry sucked. Where as if they would have spent some money like on a 9900, they weren't terrible devices. So that could be scary if they released lower end devices and people just thought again BlackBerry sucked. (I know will be a lot different with this software, but I think that is where BlackBerry got a lot of bad press. That and people using phones that were 5, 6 years old that just get handed down)

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 and npunk42 like this.
    03-17-13 03:31 PM
    On a blog post back in January, I stated how I felt they would have 6 different devices.
    You can see that here: Blaine's View: BlackBerry 10: Part 7
    But I see it as that they have 2 flagship, which are the Z10, and Q10 (In article it is X10, as that was rumored at that time), then they would have the curve like, low end series, or the R series. Then they would have 2 specialty devices, a slider, and a the Aristo.
    I don't see the Aristo as being there high-end, I see it more as how Samsung does it, Aristo like the Note, with the Z10 is like the Galaxy S. The aristo will not have as much support as the Z10, as it has a bigger screen, and a different processor, but it is going to appeal to those who want/need a larger screened phone.
    03-17-13 03:37 PM
    I think BlackBerry also lost a lot of credibility because of the amount of people who don't know a lot about phones went out and signed a three year contract on a curve for $0 and than from there on out assumed BlackBerry sucked. Where as if they would have spent some money like on a 9900, they weren't terrible devices. So that could be scary if they released lower end devices and people just thought again BlackBerry sucked. (I know will be a lot different with this software, but I think that is where BlackBerry got a lot of bad press. That and people using phones that were 5, 6 years old that just get handed down)

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree with you more!! That is the same situation with my grandfather. A few years back, he opted for the Curve 9330 on Verizon (which I believe is arguably the worst device that was ever made by RIM) when I strongly suggested that he should've gotten the Bold 9650 which at the time was high end. He ended up hating the phone. He upgraded earlier this month to an iPhone 5 and didn't want anything to do with BlackBerry (though he was semi interested in the Z10) because of his prior experiences. The moral of the story is: BlackBerry simply cannot afford the "BlackBerry sucks" syndrome. Releasing lower end devices with lackluster specs compared to that of the GSIV, HTC One, etc even when high end BlackBerry devices are out will hurt the company and the brand...especially in developed markets like the US.
    web99 and brandonwh like this.
    03-17-13 03:38 PM
    I think beside what they already announced... they'll need at least one more high end device. maybe a low end device too... depends on their strategy.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:43 PM
    I dont mind seeing multiple devices like they have in the pass with OS5 and OS6 devices. BlackBerry needs to keep the quality up if they plan to release multiple devices in the low, mid, and high end spectrum. BB10 allows for more room to develop new devices because the OS is, for the most part, rock solid. A solid OS with good to high quality devices will draw in new users to BlackBerry without feeling they have an inadequate device when comparing it to the flagship devices BlackBerry offers. Not everybody can afford a top end device, some just want the pride to have a capable device which BlackBerry can provide.
    03-17-13 03:52 PM
    They need lower end devices to cater to those markets. BlackBerry has done amazingly well in low income regions because of what they can offer them.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-17-13 04:16 PM
48 12