I'm trying out this blackberry in good faith. I'm having troubles and unanswered questions (basically, I'm impatient and want to know now). Anyone out there have any experience with the treo and how did you like to compared to the blackberry?
    02-19-08 01:04 PM
    I have used the treo 680 for about 2 months and the 750 for about 6 months (longest i have had a phone) and i gotta say. since i have switched to the BB i have not regreted it at all. It costs me a little more for the data plan but it works so much better. There have been many things i do miss but honestly its only software apps that i miss and have since found replacements for them.

The berry is sweeter than the palm.

blackberry is much more stable. I actually get 99% of my calls now, unlike the 80% from the treo.
    navigation is much smother and easier to use.
    automatic backlighting just rock
    the overall size and weight is much better than the treo too.
    Last edited by nathon.fuller; 02-19-08 at 01:19 PM.
    02-19-08 01:17 PM
    I came from 2 years of Treo650 and after first week of BB, was wondering why I waited so long.
    02-19-08 01:23 PM
    Came from a Treo 700 wx.....never looked back! I love my BB Curve. The stability it provides is PRICELESS! I have to agree with Chaz..."Why did I wait so long". LOL I know why...it was because I was hesitant of not having a touch screen. To tell you the truth, I never missed the touch screen. The track ball on the curve is so natural that it didn't even take any getting use to.
    Last edited by jimmers; 02-19-08 at 02:13 PM.
    02-19-08 02:07 PM
    i had a treo 700 and almost gave up on smartphones forever...

then i found my true home...

-db
    02-19-08 02:08 PM
    ~Never had the Treo, but I'm going to give a biased statement and say Berry~
    02-19-08 03:47 PM
    I've owned just about every Treo since they first came out up to and including the Centro. I bought most of them the week they came out.

I don't hate Treos. I think they work well. I just think they are starting to show their age.

I will tell you that the first couple of days after I got the BlackBerry, I wanted to throw it at the wall. The text input was clumsy, the track ball was weird, and I couldn't figure out how to get true push two way sync email with Gmail.

Well, the text input and the track ball have grown on me. The email is still a major issue for me, and I really can't believe they haven't found a fix for it yet.

I love the bluetooth on this phone quite a bit more. Much more clear and fast. I also like the battery life. One time I started work at 8:00 AM with a fully charged battery, and the Palm Centro completely died and shut off during a lunch appointment around 1:30 PM and I couldn't use it during my meeting. That's bad.

There's definitely a give and take, but I think that once BB/Gmail figure out how to work together better, I will be much happier.
    Last edited by MisterB; 02-19-08 at 06:42 PM.
    02-19-08 04:22 PM
    I owned a treo 680 for about 8 months and I like the BB better. The treo is bulky compared to the treo. I like the suretype. no more wondering if I am spelling my words right and typing them all out! The battery life is also extremely better! I sometimes wouldnt make it through the day with my treo and when I come home at night with the BB there is still 2 bars in my little battery!
    02-19-08 10:54 PM
    I have a work issued Treo. And I'm answering your thread from my... Yeah, 'nuff said

Let me know if you have any probs! I'll help, and many others here will too! It's a lovely community!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-08 01:27 AM
    I never had a Treo but I've used plenty of Windows Mobile and I gotta say that the BB is by far the best OS I've used.
    02-20-08 01:48 AM
    I came from the 680 and have had my bb for about three weeks now. I think the bb is far superior. The battery life is what is the best. With the treo, I was hunting a charger any time I got in my truck and any other time I could plug it in. With my bb, the small charge it gets while syncing keeps it charged and I can go two days with heavy use before charging for an extending time period. And no resets with the bb. I haven't really missed the touch screen too much. I was a 5-way user on my treo so the trackball was quite natural. I do catch myself trying to touch the screen a few times.

There are some give and takes though. The treo has Docs2Go for office files which is coming(soon I hope). That is really the only thing I miss from my treo. But the documents I used weren't essential and I have managed without it.

So the verdict is BB. Much more stable and the form factor is great also.
    02-20-08 06:18 AM
    Thank you all for your responses. I do like the balckberry's size and weight compared to the treo 680. I have tried the treo 750 and gave it up because of windows mobile sucks. I now have a 680 and just don't like the bulkiness. I also have a the HP 510 which is a great phone but has windows mobile and is a bit cramped. I will keep my treo as ol' faithful, but I will be primarily using the bb 8100 once I have it unlocked.
    02-20-08 10:54 AM
    Oh yeah, Eyonna... you're hot!
    02-20-08 10:55 AM
    I have used Palm/Treo since Palm OS was invented. I had a ton of aftermarket software and medical programs so I entered the BB world with trepidation. The Treo basically sucks as a phone. I could never hear anybody even with volume boost programs, calls didn't go through often or would freeze up on answering. The PDA of the Treo is pretty darn good though. Since I have been using the Curve, I have loved everything except for the memory management. I have always used my Calendar on the Treo as kind of a diary. I had years worth of dates/etc. There is a severe limitation on the BB with regards to how many calendar items you can keep. I could maybe even live with that but last week for some strange reason (memory leak issue using browser probably), my memory must have gotten low and I lost all calendar items that were older than 3-4 weeks. I also lost all of my messages and call logs. I had no idea that this kind of thing would happen or I would have synced it with the computer more frequently. Those kind of issues don't come up with the Treo. Other than that BIG issue for me, the BB is superior in almost every other way. I love the longer battery life....though I'm afraid to be on internet too long for fear of memory falling too low. I love the phone. Everyone is loud and can hear me perfectly. No lock ups. Rarely resets itself.

The choice between the two really depends on how important the PDA is vs. a decent phone. The push email is a great feature on the BB but available via 3rd party software on the Treo too.
    02-20-08 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD