BlackBerry travel in my view should be another app that should move over to other phones it's an amazing app for the traveller.

Posted from my Z30
    08-04-14 10:55 AM
    It's an awesome app but not worth the cost right now to develop for other platforms given BlackBerry's current state. Maybe in the future when on a more stable financial footing.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:05 AM
    Worldmate does the same thing and has been around for a long time.

Posted with my Q
    08-04-14 11:10 AM
    It needs two things:

1) Demand. I don't know of anyone that can't find a suitable replacement on the respective app stores, and still miss BlackBerry travel. I'm not saying these people don't exist, but the demand for BBM was definitely present.

2) A method of monetizing the application. BBM has the shop. What would Travel have? Ads? Hmm...

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:11 AM
    That's funny you say that, because I just used it last night for the first time to keep track of a trip we have coming up soon. Of course I use a blackberry, my wife uses an android and her parents are going with us and they use apple. I was thinking it would be nice if everyone could use the blackberry travel app, what I thought was cool about the app was after booking our motel and receiving the email confirmation that the blackberry travel app automatically scans your email and loads it up in your blackberry travel app, it shows the weather of wear your going to be and you can look up shopping and restaurants in the area you'll be staying at. And gives you directions on how to get there. Take that android and apple pie. Lol

Posted via CB10
    gdurnt likes this.
    08-04-14 11:11 AM
    That's funny you say that, because I just used it last night for the first time to keep track of a trip we have coming up soon. Of course I use a blackberry, my wife uses an android and her parents are going with us and they use apple. I was thinking it would be nice if everyone could use the blackberry travel app, what I thought was cool about the app was after booking our motel and receiving the email confirmation that the blackberry travel app automatically scans your email and loads it up in your blackberry travel app, it shows the weather of wear your going to be and you can look up shopping and restaurants in the area you'll be staying at. And gives you directions on how to get there. Take that android and apple pie. Lol

Posted via CB10

Not to mention checks flight status constantly

Posted from my Z30
    08-04-14 11:27 AM
    Worldmate does the same thing and has been around for a long time.

Posted with my Q
    WorldMate also powers Blackberry Travel,

WorldMate and BlackBerry Travel arent identical, The app is an all-in-one travel service for BlackBerry users and takes users to the Blackberry operating system. WorldMate received $8 million in funding in October 2008 from BlackBerry Partners Fund. FYI.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:59 AM
    World mate you have to forward your itinerary to an email where as BlackBerry Travel automatically scans and enters just that little extra that makes it a lot easier.

Posted from my Z30
    08-04-14 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Google Now has been doing the same thing for a while.... It tells you the hotel, the places nearby, the weather for your home and current places your going to visit , the places to visit, notification on what time to leave, opens a currency converter, places the plane,train or bus ticket info all on one screen, tells you the local time, has a card for the local language , current movies and/or concerts in the area...
    08-04-14 01:00 PM

WorldMate and BlackBerry Travel arent identical, The app is an all-in-one travel service for BlackBerry users and takes users to the Blackberry operating system. WorldMate received $8 million in funding in October 2008 from BlackBerry Partners Fund. FYI.
    Right. WorldMate provides all of the actual services for BB Travel, but BB Travel was developed as a partnership between BB and WorldMate, so that WorldMate's services are extended/automated on BB devices, both BBOS and BB10.

Still, BB can't make a version of BB Travel on other platforms since it doesn't own the underlying engine/services that makes it work - WorldMate is already providing those services on other platforms.

The situation is similar, but not identical to, the BB10 keyboard, which is powered by SwiftKey. BB can't release a BB10 keyboard for other OSs because their license to the SwiftKey engine wouldn't allow that - SwiftKey is already putting their own keyboards in those markets and aren't going to let BB use SwiftKey's engine to compete against SwiftKey.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-04-14 09:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know that. Very interesting. Thanks!

�To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others� Buddha
    08-05-14 08:29 AM