Do you have to be outside for GPS on the Torch to work properly? I tried to use it inside and it will occasionally give me an accurate location, but usually it's totally wrong. Would it work better outside?

Thanks.
    02-22-11 06:34 PM
    Yes GPS is always better when it has a clear view of the sky. So it would give you more accurate results outside
    02-22-11 06:36 PM
    Indoors it uses cell tower triangulation, which is far more inaccurate
    02-22-11 06:59 PM
    On a clear day mine works in the house, on main floor. It will locate me within 10m. Like right now
    02-22-11 08:29 PM
    Mine is usually able to locate me within 3 m - inside (home or work), outside, or in my car.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-11 09:24 PM
    I have the same problem with my torch. I have tried everything suggested: go outside, update o/s, refresh control panel, download google maps, GPS navigator, download Telenav (expensive) download GPSTools.

For the most part, the gps satellite icon is red. rarely, I get a lock that displays 1 satellite found with a giant 4 block radius and my position jumps around. Only once ever did I get a green dot with an accurate position, but, it dropped out after moving a km.

I put my crappy old pearl and my buddys Bold side by side w the torch, and they display "11 satellites found" and locks in in about 5 seconds. Furthermore, the default software on my old pearl would display current speed, and none of the software I downloaded does this.

This is very frustrating as gps is 30% of what I use a smart phone for.

Any more ideas? GRRRR
    Last edited by johnnygmc; 07-09-11 at 08:53 PM.
    07-09-11 08:51 PM
    Well, I had that problem and I'm not sure if what's that, but I realized I didn't have BB Maps installed (there's no map for Venezuela, weird), so I found the app useless. I reinstalled BB Maps and allowed the GPS info to be downloaded to my Torch using GPS Tools (a good fix outside, a few minutes without interruptions) , and now the GPS fix is very quick again. Do you have BB Maps installed?
    07-11-11 11:58 PM
    I have the same problem with my torch. I have tried everything suggested: go outside, update o/s, refresh control panel, download google maps, GPS navigator, download Telenav (expensive) download GPSTools.

This is very frustrating as gps is 30% of what I use a smart phone for.

Any more ideas? GRRRR
    You should load GPSTool in background and then work with a map app like nogago Outdoor GPS ... this runs pretty smoth :-)
    08-15-11 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD