I just switched to the TORCH yesterday from the VERIZON BOLD. i didn't realize that ATT did not have skype mobile. I use skype mobile incessantly because of my dealings with Asia. Is there any good substitute app that i can use instead of Skype? I've tried IM+, but it won't sign in to skype. none of these other apps such as fring, or iskoot work either. is there anything else i can use as a substitute or is going back to verizon my only other option? I love this phone but skype is a necessity for me. i'd have to go back to verizon if i can't find a way to get skype access on this ATT TORCH.

side note, the chat feature of the skype is more important to me than the ability to make long distance calls.

any help would be appreciated.
    08-15-10 02:53 AM
    There isn't a way to use anything to bypass non-workings for skype yet. If skype wasn't ditched or banned by most carriers or they allowed it to be freely used, we'd all be using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 03:49 AM
    Yep. The Skype BlackBerry application was created by a partnership between Skype and Verizon.

It only works on Verizon BlackBerry devices, only on the Verizon network and only in the US.
    08-15-10 06:41 AM
    I just switched to the TORCH yesterday from the VERIZON BOLD. i didn't realize that ATT did not have skype mobile. I use skype mobile incessantly because of my dealings with Asia. Is there any good substitute app that i can use instead of Skype? I've tried IM+, but it won't sign in to skype. none of these other apps such as fring, or iskoot work either. is there anything else i can use as a substitute or is going back to verizon my only other option? I love this phone but skype is a necessity for me. i'd have to go back to verizon if i can't find a way to get skype access on this ATT TORCH.

side note, the chat feature of the skype is more important to me than the ability to make long distance calls.

I cannot believe AT&T does not have an international plan? Drop them and goto Tmobile. Tmos international plan is great. We go anywhere anytime and everything is available 24/7 and no surprise charges.
    08-15-10 01:56 PM
    I think the OP is saying that he has interactions with other people who are in Asia. Not that he is using the device in Asia.
    08-15-10 02:00 PM
    08-15-10 02:31 PM
    and yes, i thought that ATT had a decent international plan but this plan seriously sucks also! i also travel to Asia once every 3 months and i need a cost effective global data plan.

I need to go back to verizon. what a pity, i was just getting used to this phone and loving it.
    08-16-10 03:44 PM
    I don't know, so I'm just asking, but is Google Voice a possible alternative? It says on its web site that you can make inexpensive international calls. Their rates per minute for a few Asian countries... China - $0.02/m, India - $0.06/m, $0.11/m for Phillipines. In some cases, the mobile rate is slighly higher. Are these reasonable rates for you? If so, you shoud check out Google Voice, it should work fine on the Torch. You can make international calls, but you can't do texting with international numbers. If you're chatting, can you use Facebook Chat or BBM or any of the other major messengers? Just trying to brainstorm for some options that may work for you.
    08-17-10 03:20 AM
    I don't know, so I'm just asking, but is Google Voice a possible alternative? It says on its web site that you can make inexpensive international calls. Their rates per minute for a few Asian countries... China - $0.02/m, India - $0.06/m, $0.11/m for Phillipines. In some cases, the mobile rate is slighly higher. Are these reasonable rates for you? If so, you should check out Google Voice, it should work fine on the Torch. You can make international calls, but you can't do texting with international numbers. If you're chatting, can you use Facebook Chat or BBM or any of the other major messengers? Just trying to brainstorm for some options that may work for you.
    I guess it would depend on if he is actually calling people (via Skype), or the other person is also using Skype (which would then be free).

The only options are to use IM+ Talk, which will do Skype over wifi (half-duplex, like a walkie talkie) as well as call into the Skype network (uses minutes). You can chat via IM+ and iSkoot (I think iSkoot will also connect to Skype's network via phone call, using minutes).

Other than that, Verizon has the lock-down on Skype at the moment.
    08-17-10 08:35 AM

Hello,

IM+ doesn't depend on any "Skype restrictions" of wireless carriers. Though recently there were some temporary connectivity issues. It is possible that you couldn't log in to Skype using IM+ due to these issues. Please try to log in again. If you still encounter any problems, please send the support request from your IM+ application Help / Support & About.
    08-20-10 07:31 AM
    i hope that you are checking this , IM+ talk is skype possible but it will cost you one time fee of 30.00 , its worth check out . PS , if you let go of a torch .. you'll feel yourself incomplete
    01-03-11 11:55 PM
    Yep. The Skype BlackBerry application was created by a partnership between Skype and Verizon.

It only works on Verizon BlackBerry devices, only on the Verizon network and only in the US.
    Another ***** that thinks America is planet Earth. Hello we have skype on cell phones in europe too! and we had it before the USA !! And it doesn't only work on Blackberry devices, it works on loads of models in the UK.
    01-20-11 07:01 PM
    Another ***** that thinks America is planet Earth. Hello we have skype on cell phones in europe too! and we had it before the USA !! And it doesn't only work on Blackberry devices, it works on loads of models in the UK.
    You have Skype on BlackBerry devices in the UK? Please explain! Tell us more! I'm sure someone clever will figure out how to port the UK version to other devices, if it exists (I can't find any evidence of this though)
    01-20-11 07:05 PM
    You should know what you are talking about before you post.

And you should also refrain from person attacks.
    01-20-11 09:41 PM
    Too much Irish malt can do that to you.....
    01-20-11 10:38 PM
    Oh come on... Skype dosen't depend on the carrier... You just need a phone that support it and internet!! If you have that you can use skype!! That's all! I used it in Venezuela I used it here... But saddly there is not skype for the torch yet...

01-30-11 01:33 PM
    Skype is only carrier dependant for BB in USA. Both my iphone and Nokia run skype flawlessly.

01-30-11 02:02 PM
    If you want skype, use a different platform as wifi only, as a companion to your 9700. I have a second PDA that supports skype. Sadly, windows mobile is dumped in the pit from skype support.

01-30-11 03:01 PM
    3-18-2012

Just spent a few hours researching this.
    iSkoot does not exist anymore.
    IMplus is scummy - they want to upsell you to a paid plan ALTHOUGH I think you CAN make Skype-Out calls on IMplus...???

My answer so far is imo.im/blackberry (from BB Browser)

So far so good, easy to configure & free. Multi-Chat client which includes Skype.
    Decent customizability, can remove annoying elements (some), and they like feedback (so tell them how to improve it). Loads fast.

However this only appears to be a Multi-Client CHAT program - I don't think you can make Skype-Out phone calls with it. Appears to run on available network (e.g. BIS vs WiFi).

Hope this helps. I am finding life with my new Torch 9800 to be 50% fun and 50% wanna curse every developer at RIM. :-P
    Greatly appreciating all the online help and forums here.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-18-12 10:23 PM
    Oh wow works. I now have skype on my AT&T BB
    03-19-12 08:42 AM
    @IIIIBULLSEYE
    glad I could help.
    Think I will stick with Crackberry forums from now on. Been double posting same needs / info at Blackberryforums.com and I just received a whole heap of people coming at me literally defending the most stupid aspects of the BB design and hailing the sacred virtue of the BIS (one word: NOT!!!)

People here seem smarter, period.
    03-19-12 02:55 PM
    i have been researching this for months and could not find anything....thanx
    04-12-12 04:03 PM
    i will repost this
    04-12-12 04:06 PM
    OP, you stated you basically need it for voice and video is not important...

Skype has something called Skype To Go. Find out if the countries you phone in Asia are on the list

One plan is $13.99 per month for unlimited calls to countries on that list
    04-12-12 06:30 PM
    if you want skype chat you can use IM+

If you skype/skpye calling you cant have it

If you want VoIP, you can use MobileVOIP to call landlines and cellphones.. its not skype, but its cheap calling worldwide.. have used it internationally on my 9930

regards,

and yes, i thought that ATT had a decent international plan but this plan seriously sucks also! i also travel to Asia once every 3 months and i need a cost effective global data plan.

I need to go back to verizon. what a pity, i was just getting used to this phone and loving it.
    04-12-12 06:53 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD