I think Blackberry's decision to offer a trade in program for the iPhones to the Passport isn't the best plan, and sounds like another stale Blackberry disparate offering. I would to see Blackberry grow again and be the dominate, if not one of the dominate cell phone companies. Focus on the software marketing.

I think they should offer the trade in alongside the new full screen device, if and when it comes out. Set the price point competitively and come out with a "Trade in your Samsung Note or Galaxy, iPhone for the all new Blackberry 10 Touch Screen" program. Tote the features of the HUB! I got two friends hooked to Blackberry when I showed them the hub and swipe gestures, along with the software.

I think Blackberry's marketing team needs refreshing. When I show my phone to people whether it be the Q10 or Z30, most thought Blackberry went away. I brag about my blackberry all the time to people and some are intrigued by it.

All in all, if they do come out with a new full screen device, I hope they come up with a brilliant marketing strategy to grow the company. I would hate to see them fail, as I've been with Blackberry ecosystem since 2006 to 2013 and just came back.

The trade in program should be for the BBY os7 if they're going to focus on the Passport. Too early to pick a fight with Apple.

Am I wrong to think this?
    11-25-14 10:21 AM
    I'm guessing they want the extra hundred or so dollars and they will do whatever it takes for that. Just because THIS offer is limited it doesn't mean they can't have another one later

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-25-14 10:24 AM
    Just because they do a trade in program now does not mean they can't do it again when the Z50 (or whatever they call it - if it actually comes out).

I like this idea and think it is a smart way to bring old users back that switched from BBOS to the iPhone for a more modern OS experience, but miss the physical keyboard. The Passport is just the phone for these people
    Bonnie Bonzai and wincyUt like this.
    11-25-14 10:26 AM
    I look at it this way. Very few will actually take Blackberry up on this offer, but they are making headlines about the company and the passport. This is cheap headline making material that in reality will not cost much and certainly not the amount of money on advertising that they would have had to pay to get this much attention.
    11-25-14 10:28 AM
    In an ideal world, BBRY would accept any device as trade-in for the Passport; but, ultimately, BBRY is still a cash strapped company and the iPhone is one of the only devices on the market easy to sell and worth money.

Ultimately, I don't expect too many converts; but, it is nice to see Blackberry take the initiative.
    Zirak likes this.
    11-25-14 10:28 AM
    the passport is much more popular than they expected, they should ride this train to the end !

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:29 AM
    The BBOS7 phone aren't worth much to even bother with, they can take a trade in iPhone and resell it on kijiji/craiglist afterwards. LOL, recoup their money..
    11-25-14 10:31 AM
    I look at it this way. Very few will actually take Blackberry up on this offer, but they are making headlines about the company and the passport. This is cheap headline making material that in reality will not cost much and certainly not the amount of money on advertising that they would have had to pay to get this much attention.
    ^This^ Front page today, free advertizing, Good for business.
    11-25-14 10:34 AM
    Not only does it spur conversation amongst the masses due to "the controversy effect", it could hint at BlackBerry realizing positive revenue. 200 000 passports in 2 days at $600.00 US was $120 000 000.00 US. That was just 2 days. So I can see the passport proving to be a solid winner for BlackBerry. I have the passport and could not go back to the z30 or z10. The Z30 is an amazing device, but the passport is in a class all by itself.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 11:47 AM
    I thought about it and initially was like wtf...but looking deeper at:

1. You just invested (recently) in an iPhone (or in this case a fleet of them). They offer a competitive value for the device (look at this as the easy way to dump it). Then they can turn around and bulk sell the devices themselves through an established channel. Win-Win for customer/business and BlackBerry.
    2. They cover a percentage of the short fall with a gift card. Again, win for the customer/business

So far, I say they are out the 150, but to really get people/companies that COULD be interested, but dont have a free upgrade/budget yet, its worth the 150.
    They will at the very least break even on each device, but knowing JC, I would say they are capturing 5% at the minimum. Mind you it will scale with how old the device is.
    kevets likes this.
    11-25-14 12:02 PM
    In an ideal world, BBRY would accept any device as trade-in for the Passport; but, ultimately, BBRY is still a cash strapped company and the iPhone is one of the only devices on the market easy to sell and worth money.

Ultimately, I don't expect too many converts; but, it is nice to see Blackberry take the initiative.
    THIS. On point.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 12:16 PM
    I'm not sure many will go for the offer, but as another said, it's publicity.

Question is: will apple take revenge?

? Z10
    11-25-14 12:16 PM
    True indeed.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    11-25-14 12:21 PM
    Well BlackBerry does this is because it wants to lure more business Iphone users to switch that is it. It tries to convince business people to switch first and then if successful it will move to consumer market. It is willing to pay more money for them to switch so they know how good work wide is.
    11-25-14 12:51 PM
    Does anyone know if the iPhone has to be unlocked or it's ok if it's still locked to a carrier? I don't seem to find the info from the trade-in website from BlackBerry. Perhaps I was scheming by too fast in the FAQs.

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 01:12 PM
    As you sift through the offer... you find it only makes financial sense if you want to trade in your shiney Iphone 6... that being said... looks for like a PR move on BB part... and may actually be working... if you look at many of the media outlets it is reported widely... This is the type of PR cannot be bought.. I think Chen is smart in doing this as it gets people to realise that BB is not dead....
    11-25-14 01:42 PM
    Personally, I think it a great idea and if they get a few thousand to come on over, that's more folks that will have a BlackBerry OS10 device in their hands and more folks to spread the word. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Lovely Passport on T Mobile USA
    11-25-14 01:48 PM
    This is really weird ,but to put this in another train of thought,BB's earnings for this quarter are for and up to the 29th of this month and the trade in starts on the 1st of December are they trying to give away funds that they have to declare in the next Q,I don't get it,let them work out things but I don't get it.
    11-25-14 01:52 PM
    I think the trade in is a great idea. Like the iPhone 6 pathway, trade your old **** in for new.

In all seriousness as Apple is wanting to move in to the enterprise market with their offerings and iPhone, it's a great idea to do this. I do know several people unhappy with their iPhone 6 simply saying it has been well over marketed but are left stuck with it as you cannot return a handset because the company has over glorified it by clever marketing.
    This may be the path option people are waiting for.
    bakron1 and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    11-25-14 01:54 PM
    I agree with the strategy. For BlackBerry it's important to become part of the conversation right now. As others have noted the offer is getting a ton of press today. That has a value in itself. And if some people think that it's worth looking at a little more, well perhaps some will then realize the company is not dead or dying after all.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 01:55 PM
    the passport is much more popular than they expected, they should ride this train to the end !

Posted via CB10
    a sign of desperation because the PP is not selling well...if it were selling well and in short supply like Chen wants you to think they would never do this
    11-25-14 02:10 PM
    a sign of desperation because the PP is not selling well...if it were selling well and in short supply like Chen wants you to think they would never do this
    I don't think so. If Samy wants you to trade your iphone for a droid, Is this a desperate move? i don't think so. It's more like "Making Noise": That's how I see it
    acovey, spyeagle and ponpiri like this.
    11-25-14 02:13 PM
    It's important to take note of the bigger picture here. You'll get up to $600 for trading in an old iPhone (includes all the way back to the 4S). It's already established that people are already starting to move towards cheaper phones - a third of the smartphones sold in the US were cheap models (source: http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/...mers-1.2847104).

This is likely aimed at people hanging onto their old iPhone (4S/5 users). If you think about it, a new iPhone on a new contract, even at its base price is going to cost you at least $200, plus fees (activation, taxes, etc) on contract. A new, cheap Android will cost you about the same. BlackBerry is trying to sell the fact that if users take advantage of this program, they can get a new, high-end device, off-contract, for about the same price as it would cost you for a new iPhone on contract or a cheapo Android which doesn't have a lot of features off-contract. It's another way for users to break the cycle, just like the phone itself is a way to do that.

I think it's a fantastic move for BlackBerry to make. Sure, it might cost them a bit in the short term, but long term this helps create some really good faith with the company, and that breeds loyalty.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    11-25-14 02:31 PM
    I don't think it really costs BB anything, because they aren't offering that much for the iPhones. They can wholesale the phones through a third party for those prices.

So it's good publicity, and if it drives sales for a new batch of Passports, then why not?
    11-25-14 02:42 PM
    The less fear a user has in trying something new, the better the chance of them actually trying it.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 02:42 PM
71 123